Scripting languages?

Can somebody explain what is so special about them? If there is not a compiler to tell you errors on stuff then what will? Will you just run it and it crash or what? Also what ide to use or just a text editor? This is all for python btw very confused:P
Scripting languages are generally just in time compiled (JIT), so you still get error messages and all that jazz. And yeah text editors work just fine.
Google "Pros and Cons of Scripting Languages" and tell us what comes up.
If there is not a compiler to tell you errors on stuff then what will?

The interpreter, will, but usually only at run-time, or though I think nowadays most scripting languages compile to a bytecode, which catches almost all errors at "compile-time".
Will you just run it and it crash or what?

Well sometimes yes.
Also what ide to use or just a text editor?

That is personal preference, although I think I remember an IDE for python (PyScripter).
This is all for python btw very confused:P

With python or your above questions?
Scripting languages are generally just in time compiled (JIT)
JIT compilation refers specifically to the process of generating machine code at run time. It should not be confused with compilation to bytecode at run time. For example, this is the main difference between reference Lua, and luajit.
There's very few languages that do JIT, because it's such a complex procedure.
There is confusion between what calls a scripting language.
Some people calls "scripting" any languge which gets interpreted. So Perl, Python, PHP: all can be called scripting languages.
I prefer to call "script" languages those, which are created for special purpose of automation and enhancing some program or enviroment. It cannot do what "adult" language can, but it is not needed. Also scripting languages is extremily high-level, wrapping complex things in simple abstractions to make it easier to use.
So bash is a scripting language: it is intended to work with linux terminal and is used to automate things. Lua is also scripting language, because it is intended to be embedded into other applications. make script is too a scripting language of sorts. Many internal application languages is script too.
In contrast Python is a full-fledged language which can do everything you want it to do.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.