Arduino or maker electronics.

Projects? Ideas? Cool shit you want other people to know you made?
Discuss. :)
(GET BACK ON IRC THUMPER. WE KNOW YOU'RE NOT AFK :3)

I just bought an Ardunio and am getting ready to do this project:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Music-Party-Facebook-Connected-Arduino-Powered-/

Wish me luck :-) will post screenshots here when finished.
im making radio transmitters at the moment, I want to make a rover that is remote controlled by my PC, so the programming comes later.

far in the future, some time before i die, im going to make a robot that looks like a man in a robot outfit, im going to smuggle him into oxford street and hes just going to walk around being awkward and difficult and weird, he will be programmed to ask shop owners if he can charge himself up (he will be waving his plug socket attached to his crotch around) and sleep in alleys with tramps, everyones going to think its just a mad bugger in an outfit, (i will program him to snore really loud)

I secretly hope he goes wrong and kills someone, i will go to prison looking like a evil genius who creates dangerous robots
I'm looking into making a drone. At the moment I'm thinking of building a quadcopter, but I had the idea to make a blimp instead because they can go much higher up. If and when I own my own home, I'm going to set it up like Tony Stark's. At some point I'd also like to build my own satellite, but I don't know how I'd ever get one into space.
Last edited on
closed account (N36fSL3A)
devon we can have illegal prostitute robots to ask for money to plug their male robot's plugs into their mouths or their crotch areas for the correct price.

I wonder how people will react.

@chris that's cool. do blimps use engines?
@chrisname
I have wanted to do that for so long. I don't have the money to start something like that up though. Before you know it I'll be $500 deep.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1284741
I came about that a few months ago. Some of it is really helpful. Some of it isn't. Thought i'd share though.

For your satellite thing, you could strap a bunch of instruments on an arduino board and attach it to a weather balloon. It might not get you to space, but it will definitely get you to near space, where you can probably find a lot of cool things with pressure/temperature/electrical sensors.
I've read a science magazine after my science test, and people are actually looking into spherical airships and sending those into space. (Actually just the upper atmosphere.)
It's a great day when regular makers can send things into (near)space at will.
Yea but this guy devoted a number of decades to it I think. He loved flight since he was young.
I always wondered why they didnt put their space rockets on the edge of space on ma-hoosive baloons, they could also give non manned rockets a little artillery style boost from them before the rocket engines are running, I was thinking of sending my plans to NASA but its all a little simple, there must be a good reason for them not thinking of that
Last edited on
I (somewhat secretly) have the (probably impossible) dream of creating the first sentient robot.
What could you do to make that dream more real, whats the difference between our chemical brain computers and discreet binary ones programmed to do the same thing?
@Fredbill30
Yeah, they usually have a small engine.

@Thumper
I think $500 is a bit high (I've read $200), but yeah, they can be quite expensive.

As for the satellite thing, do you think I could get it high enough to make my own space telescope? That would be insane. Obviously it'd be nowhere near as powerful as Hubble, but if I put a reasonably good camera in it, I could get better shots than anyone standing on earth's surface. One day...

@devorevenge
We don't know how our brains work. We know vaguely that certain areas are associated with certain things, for example Broca's area and Wernicke's area are associated with language processing, but we're nowhere near knowing how language is actually processed by the brain. At any rate, we probably wouldn't want to do it in the same way with computers, it's probably really computationally inefficient. I think instead of trying to build a brain out of computer parts, they should try working backwards to build a computer out of brain parts, i.e. neurones. I know that they have done experiments similar to that; there was one where they used neurones to calculate addition or something, but no-one seems to have tried it on the scale of a computer. I imagine it'd be really difficult and expensive, so that's probably why, but we would learn so much, and by the end, if it works, you might have a conscious, self-aware, self-repairing computer which runs on glucose.
@chrisname
I say $500, because god knows I will break something in the process.

Weather balloons can typically get to about 35km above sea level. Depending on the payload, of course. You'd have to test it out with a mock-payload (so you don't kill an expensive camera on the first run.)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/83/Picture_taken_at_aprox._100%2C000_feet_above_Oregon_by_Justin_Hamel_and_Chris_Thompson.jpg
this picture was taken at ~30km above sea level.

You'd have to use some kind of GPS to track it though. Because you're going to end up driving a few hours to pick the balloon up from wherever it lands.
chrisname wrote:
by the end, if it works, you might have a conscious, self-aware, self-repairing computer which runs on glucose.

Maybe we are just that.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.