Why is python so hyped?

Pages: 123
closed account (N36fSL3A)
@ cire EXACTLY. You know exactly what I'm talking about. Lol.
Little exp is better than none. But once I'm your guys' age, I will have more exp than you did at your current age.

Also. I just did grow up. I did even more now. And even more now.

I sense me turning into a Fredbill now.
Last edited on by Fredbill30
closed account (3qX21hU5)
@Zereo what AAA games have been programmed in Python? I'm not saying you're wrong or anything but I want to follow it's development.

I don't think I'll ever use Python to make games because I don't like the way the code looks. It's that simple, lol.

The major one is Civ IV, EVE Online also worked a lot with Python. There is a bunch of others. Obviously they don't use Python to make their engines because that isn't Pythons strength.

Here is a pretty good list http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonGames that you could have easily googled....

Zaita just because of my age doesn't mean that my exprience == 0.

No your previous postings show that your experience is close to 0. Honestly we could care less how experienced you are, but you tend to go around acting like you are a "hot shot" (For lack of better words) programmer. When in reality you have very little experience. Especially from your examples you have posted.

If you are going to say you know how to program you better be able to back it up or be willing to take the criticism.

I would be more then willing to take back anything I have said about your experience with programming if you are willing to show me you have experience (read as "post some code").

I honestly don't care how long it took you to understand software development, I'm not you. For all I know you make be slow in the head.

(Sorry for the harshness but I dislike when people judge me by my age.)

I am getting quite sick of this everyone treats me like a child act you have going on... As my father told me when I was young "If you don't want to treated like a child, don't act like one. Simple as that"
Last edited on
With a quick snoop around the web it looks like python is becoming less favourable, wikipedia's list shows Civ IV, Vampire:TM-Bloodlines, Eve online, Battlefield 2. But there's nothing recent.
closed account (ETAkoG1T)
Python becoming less favorable? Why is it less favorable because large companies have decided not to make their games partially with python. That is not really what python is for. Tripple A games is not a way to measure how good or bad a programming language is!
I never act like a hot shot... at least I don't try too. I don't think of myself as some PR0 at all.

Most of my problems I have are me miss matching variable names and such.

Really just errors I over look.
If you keep paying attention to him, he'll never go away.

GNOME and KDE have both done [broken backwards compatibility] with good success.
There was a distinct lack of shitstorms when KDE and then GNOME did major reworkings to their codebases. No major drops in user shares or forks to keep maintaining the previous versions, or anything.

Go to http://www.python.org/download/ . What's the first advice you see on which version to download?
If you don't know which version to use, try Python 3.3.

Go ahead. Do that. Fiddle with the language a bit, even start to like it. Now try getting a library for it. Whoops! 90% of all Python code ever written is for Python 2.x.

Python 2 is still maintained
The fact that both branches of Python are (nay, need to) still being maintained is a true testament to the utter failure Python 3 is.

Personally, I have no patience for a language that doesn't know what it wants to be. It's the same thing that keeps me from learning Lisp. All the millions of different, mutually incompatible versions. If I say "I want to write in X", I don't want the reply to be "which flavor?" Flavors are for ice cream, not programming languages.
helios Why do you hate me? I am not trying to troll.
Python becoming less favorable?
Sorry! Faux pas! I meant to write "less favourable for video games"; I didn't mean less favourable over all.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
If you keep paying attention to him, he'll never go away.

True that. Seems like the only thing to do now.
No don't annoy ignore me I won't do it again. (Whatever I did)
I honestly don't care how long it took you to understand software development, I'm not you. For all I know you make be slow in the head.

Actually, I've managed development teams (where I was the youngest member) and held professional roles as a software architect before the age of 30. From what I've seen so far you will progress no quicker or gain no more experience than 99% of the developers out there.

At present your development ability is pretty close to 0. This may suck, but it's the truth and sometimes the truth hurts. As I said earlier, you knowledge of a language is only 10% of developing and even there you're a very very new beginner.

@Zereo what AAA games have been programmed in Python? I'm not saying you're wrong or anything but I want to follow it's development

Even games that do not use it primarily for their engine use languages like Python heavily in plugin/scripting system. Outside of gaming Python is VERY popular in scientific/research companies because of it's quick prototyping speeds. It's runtime speed is "good enough" for most work these days.

There was a distinct lack of shitstorms when KDE and then GNOME did major reworkings to their codebases. No major drops in user shares or forks to keep maintaining the previous versions, or anything.

You must not remember it very well then, when KDE and GNOME both dropped backwards compat there was a HUGE up-roar with Linux distributions either dropping them completely or not updating the versions for a long time because of the lack of libraries and software. No different to how Python has turned out. The GNOME upgrade was partially (if not completely) responsible for the creation of Ubuntu's Unity desktop environment.

The fact that both branches of Python are (nay, need to) still being maintained is a true testament to the utter failure Python 3 is.

This statement shows an ignorance of real-world development. You cannot release a new version of software and just "not support" the previous version. If you take a look at Windows you'll notice that Windows XP is STILL being supported by Microsoft. Not because of a "failure", but because the reality is MANY MANY companies will not always swap to the latest and greatest. Fuck I know engineering companies still running critical systems on Windows 9X.

The reality is that Python 2 will likely have something like a 10 year support life before they shut it down. This does not in anyway reflect on the success/failure of the newer version.

Edit: For people who want to know. I've worked on 3D real time systems that are use on TV in more than 20 countries (as Architect and Dev Mngr). I've worked for multiple scientific companies developing population models and other scientific software.
Last edited on
Zaita wrote:
At present your development ability is pretty close to 0.

How did you make this assumption?
And how do you know my knowledge of C++ is only 10 percent? I actually don't even post and code here that much unless you are getting your numbers from my extremely early posts.
How did you make this assumption?

I read through your history seeing what kind of questions you asked and answers you provided.

For example. Can you tell me the difference between a factory and singleton? And why someone might use each?
What are you talking about?

I never really needed to use it so I never bothered to learn.
I'm not going to ask questions for things I'll never need UNTIL I NEED THEM.

I can tell you right now that I do not understand templates because I never really needed to use them so the have no purpose to me.

I also do not understand std::maps.
I never really needed to use it so I never bothered to learn.
I'm not going to ask questions for things I'll never need UNTIL I NEED THEM.

How do you know that you did not need them if you do not understand them?

I mean sure I could manually create 1,000 variables by hand because I didn't need an Array so I never learnt how to use one. Your logic is flawed.

What you do not know only highlights how little you know, not what you have not needed.
Last edited on
I'm guessing a factory is something that changes a variable or something and a singleton keeps something the same.

I made my guess because of factories manufacture to make things different and something single is the same.

Close enough?
I do not understand templates because I never really needed to use them
*nieeer sounds of vague discomfort*, I don't think that's a great way of learning man. What's that proverb? Don't knock it 'till you try it. Learn it, learn when using it is appropriate, then use it when appropriate.

Also factories don't make things different they just make things. And a singleton is basically an object you only have one of, they are not (necessarily) constant.
I was itching towards it.
No towards the phrase. Not the factory singleton thingy.
Pages: 123