Is Cplusplus.com doing well?

Pages: 123
For years I looked at this website, reading through the forums...

I wanted to create an account, but never got around to it
(especially since I don't really ask many questions).

But now (years later), I notice a slight decrease in activity...
Stupid languages (not saying names, Java), are taking over...

What I mean is, there should be some more active users!
It really should be more active, maybe I could spread the word around...

There are new posts every day,
but I would like it if every members would show on every day.
Like a schedule. Do any of you have a schedule?
Last edited on
Mitch wrote:
Stupid languages (not saying names, Java), are taking over...
There's no such thing as a stupid language. There are only different languages.
Mitch wrote:
there should be some more active users!
There are plenty of active users on these forums. There are handfuls of regulars posting often.
Mitch wrote:
Like a schedule. Do any of you have a schedule?
That defeats the purpose of a forum. We're not making money off of helping other users out. We get on when we have time and assist when we want to. Why should it be any other way?
Thumper wrote:
There's no such thing as a stupid language. There are only different languages.

I disagree. I think it would be pretty stupid to have a language called "5" where every symbol is a group of 5s with a length equal to a multiple of 5.
chrisname wrote:
I disagree. I think it would be pretty stupid to have a language called "5"
Hah, point taken. I'll correct myself. In the subset of languages that include all non-trivial languages, there's no such thing as a stupid language, there are only different languages.
VB's Boolean use 2 bytes. How stupid is that?

Java is not stupid. It's just long...
Last edited on
VB's Boolean use 2 bytes.

For real? I'm curious what the reasoning is there.
I just think it would be cool if people were on every day...
Though I guess I wouldn't know if they were!

Just starting conversation...
I noticed the people here are a lot more mature then on some other programming sites!
Seriously, I am also glad there are no THUMBS UP/DOWN buttons, that starts serious competition!

I have been to some sites, were people start talking about writing assemblers,
and end talking about who can handle the most tequila in one night!

I know chrisname is on REALLY often here...
His comment number jumped like 1,000 the few months!

Though, I would have to say there are definitely some stupid programming languages.
Like BrainFudge, and Ada, I really would like to call Lua useless, but still... Maybe not.

I honestly think most of them are simply worse then C, but still, some people like them.
For the most part, I HATE Java, but I can't say that in public, or Oracle would kill me.

I don't think a schedule ruins the purpose of the forum, though I was thinking of a Lounge schedule.
Last edited on
tntxtnt wrote:
VB's Boolean use 2 bytes. How stupid is that?
Keep in mind that there's a difference between stupid language features and a stupid language.
closed account (9wqjE3v7)
I really would like to call Lua useless, but still... Maybe not.

Lua is very useful for 'scripting' (hate that term) game logic and binding game libraries written in a compiled language. Light weight, trusted and productive.
Last edited on
Mitch wrote:
Like BrainFudge, and Ada, I really would like to call Lua useless, but still... Maybe not.
All of which have very good uses. Ada was (at a certain time, I'm not sure now) used to write tons and tons of tools used by the military. Lua is a very useful tool for tons of different reasons. I can't speak for BrainFudge because I haven't read much about it. Be careful of confusing the words "stupid" or "useless" with "foreign".
I don't think a schedule ruins the purpose of the forum, though I was thinking of a Lounge schedule.

I hope the administrator chooses me as the Lounge Guard, so that I can restrict everybody's posting within a 2 by 8 hours sliding window.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Its always nice to have a scripting langauge like Lua or Python or Ruby in your toolbox for various reasons. Remember languages will change over the years as technology changes. We have bigger and faster computers now which is why languages like Lua and Java thrive.

Just a word of advice to the OP if lock yourself into one language like C/C++ for example you will be making it much harder on yourself. Each language is better at certain things so it is always nice to have a variety of tools to choose from.
Adding a Lua interpreter raises the filesize like you wouldn't believe!!
Honestly, I would rather not have that "feature", but rather a fully compiled game.

Though I guess that is an opinion, but the clients would probably rather a smaller, faster game then some interpreted language embedded into some crappy large game.
Mitch wrote:
Adding a Lua interpreter raises the filesize like you wouldn't believe!!
File size hasn't been a problem for years.
Mitch wrote:
but rather a fully compiled game.
I'd rather have a modular game where you can modify resources and configurations without having to recompile the entire game.
Mitch wrote:
smaller, faster game then some interpreted language embedded into some crappy large game.
You can't assume that a game with an embedded interpreter is automatically a crappy game.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
I don't know why people always go straight to games when it comes to programming. Games programming makes up a very small percentage of the market.

But since you brought up the whole game things, you would be hard pressed to find a AAA game on the market that doesn't use some sort of scripting language even most indie games are starting to use them. So by your definition every game on the market basically is a "crappy large game"?

It would be a pain in the ass to have to recompile the whole game every time you wanted to make a minor change in the game and would increase development times by a huge amount.

And as Thumper mentioned file size hasn't been a problem for years.
Last edited on
closed account (9wqjE3v7)
I don't know why people always go straight to games when it comes to programming. Games programming makes up a very small percentage of the market.

If you were referring to me, I only brought up lua being used in video games as that is the one of the only examples I've seen lua come to great use (I've never used the language).
ResidentBiscuit wrote:
For real? I'm curious what the reasoning is there.
It's implementation dependent, on my system its 4 bytes. There is also Byte data type that is guaranteed to be 1 byte.
Last edited on
Mitch wrote:

I have been to some sites, were people start talking about writing assemblers,
and end talking about who can handle the most tequila in one night!

-OP starts talking about people visiting cplusplus regularly. 
-Eventually transitions to debating the benefits of different languages and their
 usefulness in game design.

Why do you care about how frequently people visit the forum, again?
Last edited on
@naraku9333

(Regarding VB's Booleans...)

on my system its 4 bytes

Out of interest, which system are you referring to?

And when you say it's 4 bytes, are you talking about the size of the Boolean itself, or the space it occupies?

Thanks, Andy
Last edited on
I am sorry about the whole "crappy games" comment,
though I really dislike downloading a game that is over 16 MBs...

File size hasn't been a problem for years.

I (sadly) have to disagree. I was using dial-up until just this past year.
The percent of dial-up users (with <= 56Kbps) happens to be higher then you might expect...
Though, I wish these people had faster internet, so they could download larger things, they don't.

And though I agree about "the right too for the right job", some of those languages are bizarre.
I honestly wish that these was only one interpreted language, with a C++ syntax...
(But people have different preferences)

I would call it "Interpreted C"!

I'd rather have a modular game where you can modify resources and configurations...

Seriously though, I don't see much use for Lua...
When I program a game, it IS dynamic, the items, classes, enemies (IE RPG),
they are ALL stored externally (parsed, and read like any other file)...

You don't need Lua to do dynamic, ANYTHING, you can do it yourself in C/C++;
Load the file, put the data in classes, with some function pointers to Scripts...
It's like an interpreted language, but without the interpreting.
Last edited on
Pages: 123