cross plateform

if i develop a game using sfml is it at all possible to port it to android or ios without rewritting the whole thing with another library or so? Just something i've wondered about.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
From my understanding (Which admittedly is limited on the subject of mobile apps) it is pretty hard to port SFML games to mobile devices mainly because it isn't made for them platforms. But it isn't impossible, it will just take a good amount of work.
what kind of work is involved? i don't have to like write everything again in java for android and then again in objective c for ios do i?
You have seen the discussions in the SHML forum? e.g.

SFML android port
« on: October 16, 2012, 02:50:43 AM »
http://en.sfml-dev.org/forums/index.php?topic=9412.0

I don't work on Android myself, but I've worked with cross-platform libraries where we (the Windows team) had no problems, but the Android team did. The issues were related to the limited instruction sets available on some ARM devices, it I recall correctly.

Andy
Last edited on
This is why I prefer SDL, it's amazingly easy to port.
When I get a Mac, I would port it (if you would like me to).

It's true, SFML isn't the easiest to port... Though the team is working on that;
They are currently porting it to Android.

Take a look here:
http://en.sfml-dev.org/forums/index.php?topic=7644.0

Once complete, you can use that to make you app (with a couple #ifdef's) work on IOS, and Android.

On a side note, I really love cross plateforms... Here is a pic of one:
http://www.best-b2b.com/userimg/1017/1020-1/plateform-steel-grating-77.jpg
On a side note,
Don't you mean "On topic,"?
It was just a joke; A plateform, not a platform (that was a pic of a "plateform").

Anyways SFML is really cool, except it's not as cross-platform as some others...
It was my first choice, though I was a little let down, when I tried porting (they are fixing that though).
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I've quickly learned people on here don't know how to handle sarcasm. Seems like only 5 people can handle it.
It was just a joke;
Yes... I joked about your joke.
people on here don't know how to handle sarcasm
Yeah, it kind of applies to anything written on the internet, without visual or audio cues you simply can't tell if someone is joking or not.
Fredbill30 wrote:
I've quickly learned people on here don't know how to handle sarcasm. Seems like only 5 people can handle it.

You learned the wrong lesson. What you should've learned is that you don't communicate well.
Fredbill30 wrote:

Being able to understand sarcasm doesn't mean you can handle it.
Lachlan Easton wrote:
Yeah, it kind of applies to anything written on the internet, without visual or audio cues you simply can't tell if someone is joking or not.

That is what I pointed out to him in the Learning SFML thread.
cire wrote:
You learned the wrong lesson. What you should've learned is that you don't communicate well.

Who is to say he didn't learn that lesson too? I know I don't communicate well, but that doesn't stop me from talking :P.
It's funny when a question is posted in the lounge, it can go off-topic (though I did start that)...

It's probably going to be a while before SFML becomes even a little cross-platform... );
closed account (N36fSL3A)
It is.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.