• Forum
  • Lounge
  • How much of an advantage would you say p

How much of an advantage would you say people who started programming in high school have than those who started in college.

Pages: 12
If much at all.
Last edited on
closed account (o1vk4iN6)
That's making use of the body for the topic right there.
Last edited on
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Well I guess they'd be more familiar with the language.
To get knowledge you need a time. The more time you have the more knowledge you can get.
With intro courses, you might be able to skip some, but it could be a gpa booster, but a waste of time. Aside from that not much unless you've learned calculus and discrete math on your own. In college you will be more self-learning than being taught, its a bit of an advantage if you are the self-teaching autodidact type like me.
I quickly realized the people self-taught teach better. I mean professors usually act to strict, for example you have to use the same compiler and IDE.

Sucks if you're stuck with BloodShed.
FredBill, aren't you like 13? I don't think you can really have much of an opinion on how professors are.
closed account (G309216C)
Yeah agree FredBill30 cannot have any opinion about professors.

I go to university and I do Computer Science and after lecture I ask the professors for question which are at my standard and they answer it but on rare circumstances when professors cannot answer my question I ask on public forums.

I started at young age and at university I am much better than 99% of the students. It really helps learning programming at a young age.
Wow... Fredbill is 12. I though maybe 16...

I never went to college, also I never had a teacher...
To be technical I have never even asked a programming question before.
Everything I learned, was on my own. I didn't even have internet for the first 2 years.

You would have an advantage, but then again,
if you learned on your own, why join college?
The more you practice, the better you get.

I never went to college, and never will.
I think college is often a waste of time.

Going to college is completely up to you,
but if you know everything that they are going to teach you, why join?

[Unrelated] Remember: some of the best programmers never entered college.
Last edited on
Going into a collage is great fun. Would require some kind of hallucinogen though I suppose, unless it's like an environmental collage.

I would stay away from collages that try to make sense though, it is indeed a waste of time. The best collages to get into are the wacky ones that really mess with your head. Would love to enter an Alice in Wonderland themed collage of Skittles, jellybeans, M&Ms and various soda bottles/cans(packaging stickers kept on for added effect).
Mitch wrote:
I never went to collage, and never will.
If you had you would know how to spell college.

Mitch wrote:
I think collage is often a waste of time.
Ofcourse you think that, you didn't go to college.
Hes trolling you Naraku. Hes talking about Collages, not Colleges.
And the thread derails.
He's trolling you Naraku. Hes talking about Collages, not Colleges.

@OP I think it depends on the high school you are at and what syllabus you are doing. If you are doing it as a hobby and you are doing it "well" then you will have a huge advantage to those who still have to learn everything from scratch. (Could not resist: http://scratch.mit.edu/‎)
Naraku is right 0.0 I spelled it wrong!!!
Lol, curse you Chrome, your spell checker tricked me. Lol.

Yeah, I never went to college, however I know a LOT of people that have...
None of them used their degree, half of them are unemployed.
Though, it would seem I am not the only one, who misspelled "college"...
I've never been in a collage before, but I was in a painting once...
closed account (3qX21hU5)
None of them used their degree, half of them are unemployed.

Lol That logic seems off. If only have of them are unemployed wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that half of them used their degrees?
Last edited on
Though, it would seem I am not the only one, who misspelled "college"...

Either that or you don't know what a collage is.

In all seriousness, you'll have a much harder time getting a job without that piece of paper. Companies don't have the time to deal with people without proper credentials and your resume would properly end up in the bin before meeting HR eyes.

Getting ahead of your possibly-soon-to-be-peers is of course an advantage. Instead of devoting time struggling with the course structure (which you should have no problem dealing with I assume), you could use that time to gain help on much more advanced stuff from your lecturer; double win.

Just don't be smug about it in group projects.
Last edited on
No I'm twelve >.<. 13 in November.

I can have an opinion. Ever see those programming courses profs make on youtube? That's where my opinion is based.
Last edited on by Fredbill30
Ahh a collage, like a series of pictures!

If only have of them are unemployed...

I believe the word you are looking for is "halve", but anyways...

Zereo, haven't you heard of career change?
Or a job that doesn't require a degree???

That is what I am referring to.
Last edited on
Pages: 12