How much of an advantage would you say people who started programming in high school have than those who started in college.

Pages: 12
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I think he means "half".
I was referring to his spelling, not his grammar (which is very messed up).

Though we are destroying this topic...
So I am probably not going to talk off topic anymore.
Well to re-answer this topic I'm going to say it matters what your learning speed is.
I have to say I am impressed with Fred...
When I was 12/13/14 all I did was play video games all day!

Anyways, I think college is great... The problem is, it uses a lot of time (and money).
And you would have a big advantage, if you spend a year or two learning on your own first.
Last edited on
closed account (3qX21hU5)
It doesn't matter if there was a career change or if the job doesn't require a degree. That piece of paper still helped get them the job. Almost no employer these days is just going to say ohh you have a degree well who cares about that I'm not going to factor that into the decision of hiring you. Anyways in programming it is very hard to find a job without a degree. Just take a look at job listings.

And I won't even comment on the childish ohh your grammar sucks remark. I mean you are really going to criticize other peoples grammar when you can't spell college?

With that I'm done bebefore I get baited anymore.
I tried to fix the trails but you guys destroyed them again.
Fred, I'm older than you, why the hell are you trying to answer my question?
Last edited on
Though if you are asking because you wonder whether you should, or shouldn't...
You really should be studying every chance you get.

Master C++ (better then you professor), go to college, and show off!
Really, you should be writing code right now!

Don't you ever get the "I want to be the very best" feeling?
I sure do... Programming is all I do. 10+ hours a day.

Edit: (While trolling the forum, lol)...

Sorry about the offence Brandon,
I was just a little annoyed about the whole "you messed up college" remarks.
Last edited on
I don't know if Mitch is trolling or not. However, it makes little difference, as he is partly right. I'm 30 and I've made a good living my whole adult life. I, as well, have little education. Though that never was an issue in acquiring employment.

However I say this in my own experience, working in fields not related to programming. I did decide to do a career change a few years ago and started self-teaching programming. I have friends that work in the IT industries that have no college degree, so I'm not at all worried about it.

Now days, you can also easily be a self-employed programmer as well, making phone apps and what not. There are also some good selling indie games on Steam that are made by tiny development teams of 1 to 4 people.

what I am getting at, is that, if you can go to college, it is a good thing to grab for extra credential. However, please don't build an invisible wall of "without college your doomed" between yourself and your goals. Because that's just a principle made from close-minded individuals that don't know any better or have not experienced any different.
How much of an advantage would you say people who started programming in high school have than those who started in college.

Wow this thread is filled with horrible advice and bullshit answers.

For reference I'm 29, I work as a Software Architect and have previously worked in roles from Jnr->Snr Developer and Software Development Manager.

Even if you start learning at high school most computer science/development degrees will teach you the basics of writing code during your first year. Even if you know this already you still have to go through the papers, sure it's going to be easier for you but at some point during the degree you'll find the limits of your knowledge and then be on par with everyone who started in college.

That being said, there is a lot you can teach yourself that is not heavily covered during tertiary studies that will give you a huge advantage when looking for a job as a graduate.

Edit: I started developing in high school
Last edited on
Fine if you don't want my help then put in the topic "No one younger than me answer. " gawd.
Where/When you start programming doesn't matter and doesn't improve your chances. It is your dedication to programming that matters, that and showing you know what you are doing. Reason I say this is because you could have started in like 8th grade programming, but that doesn't mean you know what you are doing as you could have just toyed with it for all that time. Same for college for that matter.
Sebastien, I have never seen a better written answer in a long time.

Speaking of building phone apps... Reminds me of my own business (:
I just started it, and once it takes off it'll be my main source of income!

Ahh, reminded me why I started programming... To make console games!
I plan on saving up, to get a WiiU developers kit (if they let me)!

Edit: BHX is right also, it's about passion, dedication, and effort too!
Last edited on
I'd say Ziata and BHXSpecter's advice are most accurate. Because I went into college with great programming language skills and basic CS knowledge but average math skills. The math too me was where I hit my limit to my knowledge a while back. I wish I was taught discrete math In high school as it seems like one of the most applicable and fun maths that will put a lot into context of why/how to calculate and count things and the set theory, very useful. I haven't taken Calculus yet, but I think I'm ready for it after pounding proofs into my head. Right now I don't have to worry about much more than math and abstract reasoning because once you get that and you go in having CS knowledge it'll fall into place.
by advantage you mean in a fight to the death?

i think its just about how many hours and the quality of the work in those hours, although in basketball i have found people who played for 6 years from 13 to 16 then 25 to 28 are better than people who played for 8 years 20-28, i feel like they play with an instinct, i feel like playing younger helps in a deeper part of the brain box, its not strict science, its just an observance.

EDT: I want to make a collage now, i might have two themes on each side and blend them into each other, coding into food and in the middle i will find a picture of a girl holding a chicken to make viewers search for a non existent meaning (will cut up national geographics)
Last edited on
Zaita wrote:
Wow this thread is filled with horrible advice and bullshit answers.

This!

To be honest, your programming ability going into college isn't going to have much impact on how you do in college. Programming-related courses may be a bit easier but will still likely be worth taking. Much of your degree will be about things other than programming, like math, communications, economics, and some sciences. Trust me, these courses that fall outside of your familiarity are going to be the harder ones.

And go to college!
Last edited on
aaaaaaaaaaand the thread becomes useless. please delete it.
You can't delete threads. I have a feeling you're going to end up worse than me.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12