Best Programmer(s) in Sections

Pages: 12345... 8
No point in being around since I don't feel comfortable asking questions to get help. Whole reason I went to posting in the Lounge.

Honestly I always thought it was because you were depressed or something, and unable to actually work on your programs. Now you tell us we're to blame for confining yourself in the Lounge? Okay!
naraku9333 wrote:
Sounds like a bull shit excuse to me, unless you can explain why you don't feel comfortable asking questions.

Same reason I never asked questions in school. I always fear sounding stupid when asking the question. You could ask any teacher I ever had (well those who are alive still) and they would tell you I never asked questions. Just hoped someone else would ask what I was thinking. Add to that, that I hate showing my code to other programmers due to knowing it is shit code to begin with, but they really rip into my code hard.
naraku9333 wrote:
I hear a violin playing somewhere off in the distance...

Well that would work if I was depressed, but just figured it was a logical choice to leave.
Catfish4 wrote:
Honestly I always thought it was because you were depressed or something, and unable to actually work on your programs.

No, I have over 100 different projects at different levels of completion. When I hit something I don't know how to do I just stop. I usually Google, but apparently use the wrong terms so I seldom find solutions. Like the pong logic I had trouble with a few months back, every search I did found tons of similar problems with no solution and most of the programmers I explained it to had the same issue with no solution. Have quite a few partial games, including a simple RPG.
Catfish4 wrote:
Now you tell us we're to blame for confining yourself in the Lounge? Okay!

Feeling guilty? At no point did I say anything about anyone here confining me to the Lounge. I said my issue was the reason I confined myself to the Lounge. You read way too much into people's comments. o.O
closed account (z05DSL3A)
BHXSpecter wrote:
Same reason I never asked questions in school. I always fear sounding stupid when asking the question.
You really need to start asking questions...and don't give a flying f...ig what others think of you.
Grey Wolf wrote:
You really need to start asking questions...and don't give a flying f...ig what others think of you.

This. Especially on the internet.

IIRC when you finally did ask for help on the pong problem you got a solution pretty much instantly. That should go to show you just how easy/benefitial it is to ask Qs.
+10 Grey Wolf

@BHX

You should start believing in your self a lot more (if you ask me).

Try treating any perceived criticism as a learning experience. I have posted somewhat bad code or advice a reasonable number of times, and have been quite rightly pulled up for it. But I don't take it to heart - I learn from it instead.

Like in the Ballroom Dancing I do for sport, I take my worst Dances & make them my favourite.

You have a lot of knowledge (You have said that you have essentially finished the course work for a Degree ) - that's more knowledge than other people, so be proud of your self for that achievement.

People are always finding new & better ways of doing things (CS is always evolving), and these might not match what you know or have been taught in the past. That doesn't mean that what you know is inferior, or you have been taught badly. Learn the new way and accumulate it into the knowledge you have.

For example, prior to C++11 everyone did dynamic memory with new & delete - now we have smart pointers. So if someone offers advice about not using new & delete any more, it's not criticism rather it's is some new education. People are learning new stuff all the time.

You can look at what you have learnt in a positive light as well - " I learnt 5 new things today".

I really hope this helps you - even if it is only a little. :-)
prior to C++11 everyone did dynamic memory with new & delete - now we have smart pointers

Sorry for a tangent, but smart pointers (scoped and shared) have been around since 1994, commonplace by 1998. C++11 didn't invent anything there, it just standardized a very common existing practice. Now why people weren't (and often, still aren't) taught them in schools is another story.
Well, at this point I feel to recommend LB and Disch.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
BHX just make another account and ask questions without letting others know its you.
Im the best programmer, im not particularly good at anything but i am the best programmer
@BHXSpecter

There we go, a case in point - Cubbi has just educated be a little bit (Thanks always for his expert advice).

++ThingsLearnt;

@Fredbill

Even though that sounds like a god idea initially, I don't think think that people pre-judge BHXSpecter to that degree (based solely on his tag), more that he needs to view things in a positive light IMO. BHX, we would be happy if you were happier :-)
Cubbi wrote:
Now why people weren't (and often, still aren't) taught them in schools is another story.

I'm pretty sure it's the malloc() + free() mentality adopted by teaching C.

"How do you do that in C++? Oh, new[] and delete[]. What? Smart pointers? Regular pointers are hard enough for the kids!"
more relevantly, who's the sexiest programmer on this forum?? why, its me of course.
devonrevenge wrote:
more relevantly, who's the sexiest programmer on this forum?? why, its me of course.

My penis is attractive.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
My magnet is attractive.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I am the most attractive with my muscular arms.
EssGeEich wrote:

My penis is attractive.

maybe if i looked after mine better
I lost mine in a tragic accident with a pencil sharpener...
devonrevenge wrote:
did the pencil sharpener look like this? http://steelturman.typepad.com/thesteeldeal/2007/10/up-the-butt-irs.html

The lounge at its full potential.
Are we still doing nominations? Or did this thread derail into a wall?
Pages: 12345... 8