Haswell

I've been closely following the new Haswell processors because I'll need a new laptop when I go to college next year. However, I yet have to find information on the i5 and i3 line-up?

I don't need the i7 (with a much higher TDP) and would prefer an i5 with better battery life.

Has anybody got an idea when we can expect laptops with Haswell i5's in it?
Last edited on
I do not know if this is what you are looking for, but after 10 seconds of Googling this is what I found:
http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/17/intel-leak-haswell-e-2014/
No, those are the overclockable desktop CPU's. I'm looking for information on when the mobile i5 processors will be implemented in laptops.
Judging laptop battery lifetime by TDP of the processor is entirely wrong. TDP for i7 is higher, but i7 is also faster, especially if you compare i7 quad core with i5 dual core (what a surprise!). i7 have also more cache (= less power taken by memory and FSB), and their average instructions per cpu cycle is higher (less cycles to accomplish the same task).

The faster the processor is, the shorter it has to run to accomplish the same task, the shorter it needs increased power, and the average power use over longer period stays the same. Therefore there is not much difference between i5 and i7 as for average power consumption, however i7 allows you reaching higher top-performance when you need it (when you don't need it, it has exactly the same power consumption as i5 or i3, check SDP values).

Actaully I have turboboost enabled even if my laptop runs from battery. The laptop is much more responsive, but battery lasts for the same period of time as if I downclocked it to 600 MHz - typically 6-8 hours. I was forced to do a comparison like that recently, because Linux has some nasty kernel bug that causes my i7 to be stuck at 600 MHz in some circumstances after I resume it. Except being awfully slow, there is no difference in battery use, although you would have expected CPU at 600 MHz to consume 1/4 energy of CPU at 2.4 GHz - not true).

This is like with car engines. A small 1.2 litres engine does not necessarily burn less gas than a 2.5 engine on a long distance on a highway (because when running at 150 km/h on a highway a 1.2 engine will work at its almost maximum power, while 2.5 engine will be at less than half of its power). And smaller cars burn less gas in the city because they are lighter, not because they have less powerful engines.
Last edited on
Very insightful comment, rapidcoder!

I guess I'll go with an i7 after all then, since multitasking is actually pretty important for programming. thank you!
I guess I'll go with an i7 after all then, since multitasking is actually pretty important for programming.
If you think that a faster processor will compile faster then you're wrong. The point is that everything during compiling is written to the disk (no matter if cached or not). So the speed of the disk will determine the speed of compiling

If you think that a faster processor will compile faster then you're wrong. The point is that everything during compiling is written to the disk (no matter if cached or not). So the speed of the disk will determine the speed of compiling

Nope. And definitely nope with SSD and/or system with lots of memory.

The main bottleneck with compilation is usually memory bandwith - compilers are terribly memory unfriendly, they do several passes over the whole program, they do lots of conditional jumps to random memory locations without any easily detectable patterns, they do lots of dynamic allocations and deallocations. The more cache L2/L3 you have and the faster memory, the faster compilation.

Speed of disk does not matter, because output size is usually tiny compared to the amount of input data and intermedate data that need to be processed by the compiler. Input data (source files) can be easily cached in memory, so lots of RAM for page cache may also help with large projects.
@coder777: I wasn't talking about faster compile times, I meant that it's not uncommon for a programmer to have multiple programs open at once, hence the multitasking :)
Smart compilers can make use of multicore capabilities of CPU.
I've been saving up for a new build for a while now. I've been waiting for haswell. Gunna have to wait a bit more, but by october at the latest I should have a new i7 4770, an undetermined mobo, and a new GTX 670 (or a 680 if I can swing it)
I didn't know a 8 cpu comeing out.:)

i was thinking of build a nice linux pc with a dual moniter but look like i be save up alot longer.:)
Quite the necro.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.