Python... Wow!

So I finally got around to messing with Python. It's the first time I've used a true scripting language before and wow. I am blown away at how easy it is to get something up and running. It's like a whole new world has been opened up :O And the whole command line interpreter is super cool. I use it for a calculator at work now ha.

I decided to see what it was all about because I've been doing a lot of work with our NMS at work and it just has python all over the place. It has a python interpreter even where you can feed in commands and do all sorts of admin tasks. It's pretty awesome so far.
Oh man. I just had the same breakthrough (except with Haskell). I've been blowing through Project Euler problems while teaching it to myself. Computation in C/++ is much more difficult than in a lazy language.

I haven't got any experience with Python though. I chose to learn Haskell because I wanted a different perspective, i.e., not an imperative language. I've been thoroughly enjoying it.
Haskell is too on my list. It may get bumped up hearing this, though.

I hadn't even thought of using Project Euler to learn though. Kind of forgot all about that site.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
@RB
The interactive interpreter is really cool, and python is my new favorite prototyping language. Was just messing around at work today when I was bored and managed to write up a Old school Atari like Brick Breakers game in only about a hour and with only 179 LOC.

But it does have its downsides like it can be pretty slow at certain things (Though it can be semi fixed by writing your performance critical code in a C/C++ extension).

At first I hated the whole white space thing and no { }'s but now after a month of using it I got to say it is much easier to read code without them.

@ Thumper
I have heard amazing things about Haskell but have been reluctant to jump in and learn it since it still really isn't a language companies will hire you for (Though it is becoming one pretty fast) at least from what I understand.
@Zereo
Haskell has an interactive interpreter as well as being able to compiled.
Can python be compiled into binaries? Or is Python only interpreted?

Zereo wrote:
but have been reluctant to jump in and learn it since it still really isn't a language companies will hire you for
It's never been about getting a job for me. I never want a job doing purely software work.
Programming exercises your thinking skills. And it's fun. I don't want to lose that aspect of it.

Haskell puts a larger emphasis on recursion, which I've always had trouble with wrapping my mind around until it finally clicked for me a few weeks ago.
Learning Haskell gave me the same thrill I got when learning my first programming language.

And yeah, from what I've read Haskell is becoming more and more popular in industry.
Last edited on
Thumper wrote:
Can python be compiled into binaries? Or is Python only interpreted?

I believe it can be compiled into a bytecode type thing. I'm not too sure, but I've seen file extensions for python that seem to hint at them being compiled.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Yes they can be compiled in Python Byte code (File names PYC or PYO) which is then loaded into the interpreter. You can also use tools to create a .exe from a python program like http://www.py2exe.org/ or PyInstaller . So in short yes it can be I believe.
Last edited on
i shud escape from evil java and move to python, i get the impression java is the tower of babel
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.