• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Monthly Competition? Would you participa

Monthly Competition? Would you participate?

Pages: 1234
closed account (3qX21hU5)
In another thread there was a idea about maybe doing a monthly competition on this forum. For everyone that didn't read that thread the competition wouldn't be anything serious just a fun competition every month on different aspects in programming.

I was just curious how many of you would be interested in such a thing and would want to participate. If there is enough interest in it maybe we could start it up and give it a test run and if it works out who knows maybe Twicker might incorporate it into the website.

Some more information on what I was thinking it would be like (I'm more then open to suggestions).

It will be a very laid back competition, meaning no rewards or anything like that and nothing to big. Each month there would be a different type of competition (IE games one month, algorithm based challenges the next, build a IRC bot the month after, ect.). The are a few ways we could determine what the competition will be and how it will be scored. Here are some of my ideas if anyone else has any feel free to post them.

1) A week before the competition everyone can submit a idea for that months competition. After a certain amount of time we all vote on what idea for a competition we would like for that month (1 Vote per user). To determine a winner each month, everyone that competed in that competition can vote for who they think the winner should be (Can't vote for yourself and this might have to be changed for normal algorithm based competitions like CodeChef or other sites like it have).

2) A spinoff of the first one. But instead of voting every month for that month competition we pool all our ideas for competitions at the beginning and every month we select one at random. The winner could be found just like the first way.

3) The more general approach where every month a user can volunteer to host that competition. That user will then be in charge of coming up with a project/problem (Or set of problems) for that competition and he/she will also be in charge of how the winner(s) will be determined.

This is all just brainstorming on my part. I know a few users other then myself showed some interest in something like this but I am not sure we would have enough interest to make it fun for everyone. So I thought I would ask.

Let me know your thoughts.
Surely I would partecipate.
Let's count everyone who replies: 13 users say yes.

Oh. What about Twicker adds this as a section/feature?
In the meantime:
http://cppcomp.netne.net/
Last edited on
It might be a good idea.

It isn't uncommon for someone to just post a "programming challenge" in the Lounge and a lot of people tend to respond.

I know I won't have time to engage in very many monthly challenges though. (Not unless something really interesting gets posted - and then I would likely not have time to finish it anyway...)
I'd try to participate. For me it will depend on the competition and if I feel I have the abilities and confidence to do it, otherwise I'd at least try to participate in it.
I'm game.

I think this would be a lot of fun. I would enjoy participating. I like doing little programming challenges. (I've been whoring Project Euler for the past month.) If this gets rolling i'd definitely play along.
Last edited on
My contribution:
http://cppcomp.netne.net/
Regular users aren't able to post topics yet, to avoid spam.
I've really got to go now, i'll be back later to change that crying logo and see opinions.
I've changed most of the features to make it feel like cpp.com a bit.
See example topic for planned usage.
yeah i cant wait, I need challenges, euler is sometimes too algorythmic, great idea.

2 but theyre all nice options.

I actually think these competitions are as necessary as the lounge; the lounge catches chit chat and the competitions will catch misplaced procrastination energy, else the devil would make work for idle coding fingers.
Last edited on
closed account (D80DSL3A)
I've enjoyed a few that have appeared here in the past.
Casual contests can allow constructive interaction between the participants as solutions are developed, which makes it fun.

I'd be game for the challenges that I could participate in competently.

One point: Unless the competitions are regular, short signup times can catch semi-regular users who want to participate by surprise. I suggest allowing entry up until the finish deadline.
I'd be interested. My vote is for 1.
Sounds fun. I'm sure I will participate in some of them.
What about http://cppcomp.netne.net/showthread.php?tid=2
I'm really taking this seriously.
But I'm not planning to take over cplusplus.com, tho.
I signed up but i couldn't post my idea ^_^ I like your work SGH.

Last edited on
You need to verify your account via e-mail.
But i've manually activated you.
I would participate.

@EssGeEich: I'm sure if it's legal for you to use the logo.
htirwin wrote:
@EssGeEich: I'm sure if it's legal for you to use the logo.

Besides the fact I'm showing Cplusplus.com in the logo, I don't think twicker will be afraid of this.
I will try to contact him and ask him if it's ok for him.
I just cannot think of any other logo that could link this forum to it.
Last edited on
Makes sense to me to use this logo considering the idea came from this forum. Though, probably should try to separate the two though as this could become bigger than the Cplusplus.com community.
BHXSpecter wrote:
this could become bigger than the Cplusplus.com community.

Nope, I really think (hope?) not.
The limitations of a free web host are really scary to me (100GB/Month) and many people joining the forum could be a disaster.
Btw: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/83943521/Screens/f/cplpl/pm.png

Btw even simply registered users have full access to Off Topic section and can create topics.
Last edited on
No idea how often I'de be able to compete but I'm sure I can make some time, I'm in.
Not to sound like an a**hole, but I think you used the wrong term in your other post. I think you meant to say you are advertising Cplusplus.com in the logo. Free advertisement. Sponsoring means you are paying the guys behind Cplusplus.com money, or if they were sponsoring you then you would be getting paid to have the logo.
BHXSpecter wrote:
Not to sound like an a**hole, but I think you used the wrong term in your other post. I think you meant to say you are advertising Cplusplus.com in the logo. Free advertisement. Sponsoring means you are paying the guys behind Cplusplus.com money, or if they were sponsoring you then you would be getting paid to have the logo.

That's all right, better safe than sorry.
Pages: 1234