POLL: Why C++?

Pages: 12
Just a poll if anyone is interested.

When did you start C++ and why?
Was it your first language?
What would you rate yourself from 1-10?

Well, i started a few months (on and off) ago (age 16 now). I mostly did it because I wanna be a game programmer, but after using it for a while now I realize that it is so much more than that. Also, im on the computer a lot so I might as well make use of it xD

Wasn't my first language, my first was HTML, then CSS, then PHP (which is somewhat similar to it) now ++.

I would rate myself a 3 right now. I have a long way to go but I really understand what I've learned so far. Hopefully in the next few years I can get my rating up to a 9, give or take.

You guys?

Last edited on

I used C++ in an introductory programming course back in 2005 but we soon moved on to use Java so my C++ knowledge at this time was very basic. In 2008 I started to learn C++ on my own. It was part of the process of moving away from proprietary software. I didn't like that Java was in the hands of one company (Sun at that time). C++ felt much more real and fun compared to Java that felt like being inside a box. I guess I was also inspired by the game making people that often use C++.

No. The first (scripting) language I used was when making Dungeon Keeper maps. It was more a matter of copy paste programming but this was my first experience with programming. Later I made very simple games in a demo version of Blitz Basic, also a lot of copy pasting without understanding. I then moved on to Flash/ActionScript and made simple flash games and animations. There was good documentation build into the program so here I started learning a little programming without copy pasting but it was not until I started learning programming in school that I really learned to program.

Hard to say. 5 maybe. I think the saying "The more you learn, the more you realize how little you know" is very true.
Last edited on

I used it since I started college

First language was when I was in secondary school maybe
Its called Game Maker Language, then HTML, then C, now C++

I have been learning for 2 months, but I rate my self 1;
I just know <iostream> <conio.h> <csdlib> and now on <string>
so there is a long way.

EDIT
I think this post belongs to the lounge.
Last edited on

If we speak just C++, i've been using it since 4 months, in my Data Structure course.

It was pascal, it was 3 years ago.

Very hard to say, if 10 mean to know everything of the language and 0 mean to know nothing, then i would rate myself 3. I know the basic things, pointers, linked nodes to make lists, stacks, etc... and the basics of trees and files, all the other things about object and class i would say i know nothing. However, sometimes i forget some things and i have to remember them.
Last edited on
EDIT
I think this post belongs to the lounge.

thanks I moved it there, my bad!

About 5 years ago because I wanted to make games and I knew it was used for that.

First programming language. I learned HTML before, and English before that.

I don't know, because I'm definitely no beginner, I'd say I was intermediate to advanced, but I wouldn't say I was "good"; so, if we're rating our ability I would say 5, but if we're rating our knowledge as a percentage (or per "deca-age") I would say 7. I know most of the important stuff in the STL, but I still find new things every now and again, particularly with C++11, and I still find myself looking up the order of parameters for functions like fread whenever I use them.

Started ~5 years ago because an idol of mine had picked it up.

Yep. C++ was my first experience with anything programming related. I've dabbed in HTML/CSS (although i won't call HTML a programming language), and I'm currently digging my way through Haskell.

Oof. That's hard to answer. 3 years ago i would have said "I DEFINITELY AM A 10." But every day I realize more and more how little I know. I suppose that's just a process of growing up. I'm definitely not a beginner. chrisname's description is pretty accurate about how I feel as well. I'm intermediate to advanced. Not great, like, if I were suddenly given a job developing enterprise level software I would be fired immediately. But I know my way around the language.

chrisname wrote:
and I still find myself looking up the order of parameters for functions like fread whenever I use them.
imo, you'd be mental if you could remember parameters to all these functions. That's why there's documentation. :)
I've been using vectors for 5 years, but I still use the reference section of this website to read about vector members from time to time.

EDIT: spelling
Last edited on

When? 1996
Why? I played MK on the SNES in '94 (I'd been playing games since I was born (1981), started on an Atari 2600), when I decided that I wanted to entertain people with video games like Midway had done. Freshman year in my art class they had a Art Institute representative come in and that is when I found out what languages were used to make games. Bought C++ for DUMMIES and been coding since.

First language? C++. Dabbled with other languages though (Perl, Ruby, Python, Haskell, Scheme, Lisp, Assembly, C, C#, Java, D, Lua, Javascript, HTML, PHP, XML, XSLT, CSS, etc.).

Rate myself? 1

EDIT: Forgot web languages. I've dabbled a lot.
Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
I started with c++ way back in 2009 because I wanted to learn programming, as I've always had a fascination with how computers worked, and who were the geniuses who made them work.

It was technically my first language, but my friend made me switch from it after about 3 days, to C# because we wanted to make video games. After a summer with XNA, and a couple of months in a class learning AS3(which is horrible btw), my teacher suggested I try a different language for a culminating assignment, so I decided to go back to C++ to make Nintendo DS games. I immediately fell in love with it, (although it was more of a C with booleans and classes rather than true C++) and haven't stopped with it yet. And I do mean to sit down some day and give Haskell a good run though.

Since most of my programming is more shaped as C with classes rather than true C++, I'd have to rate myself like a 2, maybe 2.5

8 months ago when I was dabbling with HTML/Javascript/PHP, while trying to develop our firm's website. I discovered that I really liked programming and would wanna go deeper with software development.

No, I was introduced to Pascal in school and Scheme in college.

That's easy, I am yet to reach 1.
closed account (ETAkoG1T)

A few years ago I was in a book shop and I found a book about programming. I thought if I read and understood the book I would be able to make apps for iphone, ipad or android. Obviously that was a bit wrong since it was a c++ beginners book and maybe not the best language to learn for app development. The book was not any good but I wanted to continue on the language because I had already started learning it.

Yes, first programming language.

A 2 or 3 maybe. Not really sure how this scale works, but I know the basics.
(classes, pointers, simple problem solving)

@ BHX How can you rate yourself one? You have programmed since 1996, that is longer than most people on this website, including me. I thought you were an experienced programmer.
Last edited on

I started around 2005, because previous to that all I used was Visual Basic and I wanted more control of how GUIs were created and I wanted to know what was happening "under the hood" in windows programs.

No, that would be QuickBasic. I started learning it by editing one of the games that comes with it(the one where two gorillas throw bananas at eachother from across the screen).

Ugh I guess 6. I have a decent understanding of the syntax, OOP, compiling and linking, and some OS features like processes, threads, and virtual memory. Yet there is alot about these things that I don't know.
I started learning C++ in about 2008 or 2009 while I was in high school. My first language was Dark BASIC, a derivative of BASIC that allowed easy access to DirectX and made making a game super easy. That's really what got me into programming.

I'd rank myself a 5 or 6. I have a decent understanding of the language, but that's about it. I don't have much experience programming anything big, though. I haven't had the time the last year or so to do much.
@ BHX How can you rate yourself one? You have programmed since 1996, that is longer than most people on this website, including me. I thought you were an experienced programmer.

"The more you learn, the more you realize how little you know" explains it all. The more I know the more I realize I haven't even scratched the surface of C++, so 1.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
BHXSpecter wrote:
"The more you learn, the more you realize how little you know" explains it all. The more I know the more I realize I haven't even scratched the surface of C++, so 1.
So true...(but I would still say you are more than 1)
I think of a 1 as someone who has just started. The 1 - 10 scale does not need to be a linear progression.
I started with C++ because most games use it and my cousin who is a software engineer told me to. I started it a little over a year ago.

In terms of knowing C++ I give myself a 7. I know everything in the core language and a good portion of the standard library along with a lot of C++11 stuff. Generally learning C++ isn't that hard once you know the core language.

Btw I give myself a 2 when it comes to knowing how computers work in general.
Last edited on
First programming language. I learned HTML before, and English before that.

Makes since xD

My first experience with C++ was in the mid/late 1990s. I need to colaborate with some other developers and we found that C, C++, and Assembly could all be combined into a single executable. Before that time, we all had differing backgrounds.

No. My first language was Pascal.

In C++? 7. What I've found is that the more you learn about C++ and large-scale software development, the more familiar you become with what being an "expert" (9/10) really means.

I started C++ roughly 6 months ago, I started programming around 3 years ago. I decided to learn C++ mostly for game programming and because Microsoft dropped XNA. But also because I want to know several languages. Some things are easier with different tools.

No, my first language was a scripting language for the OHRRPGCE toolkit/engine. It derived from C. Then my first language when I committed myself to learning programming a few years ago was C#. And I can already say, C++ will not be my last one.

I don’t know, that’s a silly notion, because I wouldn’t rate someone on a language, but on their skills in programming and their understanding of it. (for example: OOP, design patterns, debugging, etc.) And at that, I would rate myself a 5 or 6.
Pages: 12