C++ IDE

I'm looking for a good C++ IDE for Linux. The IDE I'm looking for has to meet a few requirements:

-It has to have a very good autocomplete
-It has to be visually customizable
-The function to link libs to the project must be easy to access and edit because I tend to use a lot of different libs(SFML,ALLEGRO,etc.)

Note: Don't suggest neither Code::Blocks, it's autocomplete is terrible, neither QCreator, it's not visually customizable

Thanks in advance
closed account (3qX21hU5)
I would suggest Sublime Text 2, but then again I always do lately.

You can get very good autocomplete through Clang's Plugin, you can customize almost anything visually with either premade themes people have made or by making your own.

Linking projects shouldn't be to hard on any IDE as long as you know how linking works. I would maybe suggest creating common make files that you can use since you are linux.
What do you mean by visual customization? I know you can theme Qt if you want. Sublime is alright, but I've never cared about visualization of my IDEs so I'm comfortable using them all.
Have you looked at plugins for C::B? This one may help http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Code_Completion_plugin

Though I'm not sure why autocomplete is make or break feature for you.
I'm a little surprised that "interactive debugger" is not on your list of requirements, as that is the single most important feature of any IDE.
@Zereo

I will try Sublime. Will check on that plugin cause autcomplete comes real handy when your working with lots of variables.

@BHXSpecter

When I talk about visual customization I mean the color of the word, the background, changing the icons, etc.

@ResidentBiscuit

That's the default autocomplete plugin for Code::Blocks and when you're working with standard libraries it kind of does the job but when you start to add other libraries besides not recognizing the added libs it messes up the standard libs as well.

As I said to Zereo I like autocomplete because it comes in handy when working with a lot of variables and I'm kind of lazy and I like not needing to type it all.

@Disch

I know I'm going to get lots of critics for this, but reason why "interactive debugger" was not on the list is cause I don't know how to work with a debugger. I know it's essential and all but I'm still sort of new to programming (I'm 11) and I'm still learning. This happens cause I learned the absolute basics and the skipped the rest and jumped right to the graphic libs because my true objective while learning to program is to make a game.
jonhy31 wrote:
I don't know how to work with a debugger.

The basic features of a debugger (breakpoints / watch / step into / step over) take maybe 15-30 minutes to learn (if that) and will save you literally days of work and frustration.

You'd be doing yourself a huge favor to get familiar with debugger basics.

We really should have a tutorial on debugger basics on this site. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to writing one.

This happens cause I learned the absolute basics and the skipped the rest and jumped right to the graphic libs because my true objective while learning to program is to make a game.

That's cool. That's very similar to what I did when I first started.
most of the time that I have a bug for which it seems to make no sense why I do, I figure it out very quickly while debugging. Like Disch said, you really should start using it right at the beginning.
I use KDevelop - it seems to do everything I want, and can be integrated with other technologies such as Qt sfml etc.

KDevelop is quite a mature application - there has been a lot of work done developing it. It can handle a huge range of file types including asm, fortran, even C#, plus many others.

I don't have any experience with other IDE's apart form QtCreator. I tried Eclipse once a few years ago, but gave up after about 30 minutes - maybe it's changed since then.

Also look at other tools like Umbrello which allows you to draw UML diagrams & convert them to code.

HTH
Is Umbrello better now? A few years ago I tried it (KDE 3) and it was totally unusable. I remember submitting 9 patches during the single evening, just to make it (somehow) work. That code was a mess...

BTW: the idea of converting UML diagrams into code is ridiculous. Anyone using this feature seriously? Really? Why?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.