Operating System

Pages: 12
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
What is the best operating system for a programmer
Windows
Linux (what distro)
Or Mac OS X

Thanks
OS doesn't matter. Development tools are what matter.

All popular OSes you have listed have comparable development tools available.

EDIT: That said... it's generally easier to develop on whatever machine you want to target. So if you want to make Windows programs, it's much easier to be developing on Windows.
Last edited on
K thank you.Ill just stay with windows.i sometimes use ubuntu as I have it dual boot...becuz I wanna be a hacker so I just asked.

Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Wow...you have a lot to learn.
Last edited on
Any operating system that can run fast and start the required tools for building, testing, debugging, and all the other tools for programmers.

Thank you guys...Ill use windows and ubuntu..And someday I will use arch linux...thanks
Last edited on
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
I use to use only Windows almost exclusively. Then I got into web development, and it was absolutely painful on Windows so I started using Linux for that. I had a few developer friends that use Mac at work, and they love it. I never really saw that much of a draw for Mac OS over Linux but then I got a new job that uses Apple computers....and now I don't want to ever touch anything else.
Last edited on
closed account (N36fSL3A)
What is the best operating system for a programmer
Windows

Thank you guys...Ill use wondows and ubuntu..And someday I will use arch linux...thanks

Please explain to me how you spelled windows 2 different times on the same thread...

Anyway I don't think you should infect other machines just because they piss you off...

If you still think that way you must have not changed from a script kiddie to a true hacker yet. You must still be a very new beginner.

I'd honestly recommend windows. If you're going to be a hacker used the most used OS. Think like you're buying a stock. You aren't going to go for the one with the least amount of potential. You want to make money, or in this case, infect as many PCs as possible.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
I'd honestly recommend windows. If you're going to be a hacker used the most used OS. Think like you're buying a stock. You aren't going to go for the one with the least amount of potential. You want to make money, or in this case, infect as many PCs as possible.

First off I just wanted to say I do not in any way condone unethical hacking. Ethical hacking or Pen Testing is a different matter though.

As for Fredbills quote he is completely wrong. If you are looking to get into pen testing you will need to get off windows and onto a *nix build as soon as possible. You don't have to be on a windows computer to pen test a windows computer I have no idea where Fredbill came up with that idea. Windows will just restrict you in most of the things you need to do in the pen testing field.

So Windows in probably one of the worst choices of OS for "hacking". Again I would definitely get away from the mindset of ruining other peoples stuff just because they said something you don't like, because A) Would you like it if someone did it to you? and B) You will just end up in jail or worse if you continue like that.

If you are looking to get into computer security and pen testing though I would recommend first learning Linux by trying out Ubuntu and then once you know linux pretty well switch over to a Pen Testing OS like BackTrack and others.
I am wrong, you are right Zereo.

Honestly what I was saying is just a guess, but it all makes sense since Linux is Open Source, while Windows isn't.
Than you zereo and fred

Please explain to me how you spelled windows 2 different times on the same thread...

spelling mistake

@Zereo

Yea your right.I`m just gonna be a ethical hacker.And I am currently using ubuntu becuz i wanna learn terminal so i can get used to linux and when i become good i will install Arch Linux. So just pen testing. But you know loads of ppl get away with hacking.Like some get cought but most hide behind loads of proxies.

Thanks guys....I have changed my mind.Not gonna be a black hat/grey hat
Last edited on
Well I heard all kinds of hackers use different os than the one they`re infecting or testing.....
I just gonna continue programming and have hacking my second thing..cuz it is a little fun
First off, double post.

I know we make that mistake every once in a while, I'm just warning you.

Also, why not just install arch linux first, then learn the terminal through there, and save yourself the time of installing 2 OSes?
Fred

Arch linux is one of the hardest os to install because its all commands and you chose what you want.so u chose what environment you want ...and so much more...you try installing it and see or check the internet there is a big wiki on installing it...so thats why..and no more double posts
I see. Never mind my input then. :)
closed account (1v5E3TCk)
I have some resources about ip's and linux disc's with too many tools for pen testing but i dont know if it helps you. If you want i can share them with you.

Note: I have never use the tools or read the resource.
Pen testing OS's like Backtrack should come with all the tools you will need for pen testing as a beginner. Though remember a tool can only do so much. If you don't know what is going on behind the tool (IE how it works) you will go far.

So the important part is to learn everything you can about computers, os's, databases, servers, networking, applications, and the list goes on and on.

It is not something where you just research and learn for a few months and you are done. It is a every evolving field and will require constant learning.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
FYI

"From the creators of BackTrack comes Kali Linux, the most advanced and versatile penetration testing distribution ever created."
http://www.kali.org/
Ya I seen that a bit ago but have yet to try it out really.
FredBill, you seem to not know much about the world of Linux or security at all. I'd refrain from giving out suggestion until you learn a little more. No offense, just giving out false information is not helping anybody.

BackTrack is sort of the de facto distro for pen testing. If you want to be a pen tester though, you'll need lots of training and experience. Mostly experience. You'll need to get into the networking and/or systems administration field to learn all about the technical details behind underlying protocols and procedures, know how to program, and mostly learn how to communicate. "Hacking" is not so much of just sitting in a dark room by yourself while you bash (pun intended) away at the keyboard and steal everyone's secret pics. It's a lot of being able to communicate and learn about the internal details of an organization. A lot of pen testing jobs can take up to a year and a lot of the time is just the tester gather data from public sources, talking with people in the organization, using some social engineering to get privileged information, and then seeing exactly how to apply this information in order to get something more tangible.

Most pen testing anymore is not so much hacking, as is taking advantage of people until you have enough information to steal something of value.

This all said, I've never heard of any organization actually using a pen tester. I think it may be a requirement to be compliant is some places, but it's pretty lax. There's lots of tools out there that pretty much automate the entire process that will check for most known vulnerabilities. We just run nessus every now and again. Pen testing anymore seems to be more of testing employee integrity and non-technical security.
Pages: 12