• Forum
  • Lounge
  • What do the British have against America

 
What do the British have against Americans?

Pages: 123
Well I saw some politics thread so I don't know what's wrong if I post this question...

I just want to know why people from Britain always bash us Americans.

I've been called a Yankee, a Colonist, a rebel - The names go on.

Then they say we are all fat, we have 5 billion McDonalds, and we are gun-tottin'.

Oh yea, don't forget how much they scream when you call football soccer. (Not American Football).

They claim we butcher the language when infact we do speak the same language, just a different dialect. Also, before you say we have a messed up accent, it seems as though you guys do: http://www.livescience.com/33652-americans-brits-accents.html . You get all butthurt just because we took out the u in color and armor. (I actually spell it colour and armour).

Then you guys say we are colonists and come up with all sorts of ways to try to make it look like we're the bad child and stuff.

You guys bash us all the time, and call us names. But you don't see us Yankees calling you Limeys and stuff.
Last edited on by Fredbill30
But you don't see us Yankees calling you Limeys and stuff.

I'm sure some americans do it.
Yes, ALL Brits hate ALL Yanks because ALL Yanks believe they are superior to ALL humanity. Sarcasm ends here, just incase you didn't get it
Americans? Do you mean people from the USA? America is a pair of continents of which the US comprises about a third.

Fredbill30 wrote:
Oh yea, don't forget how much they scream when you call football soccer. (Not American Football).

But in football, players actually use their feet. Almost exclusively, in fact.

Also, maybe consider that it's not people from the US that British people are disliking, but you personally. They attack your country, rather than yourself directly, to attack your identity.
Last edited on
No, I don't mean ALL, I mean some.

chris But still. I know you guys use your feet but atleast recognize it.

Even the French call it football américain. (Wait, what do you guys call it?)

I don't know of one American that calls the British Limeys. Sometimes I hear my friends jokingly call them Redcoats though. Also sometimes Imperials or whatever.

I mean USA. It's just that people from the continents over here don't really refer to themselves as American, but by their country name. It's really something us USA people call ourselves.


<sarcasm>
Yea, I think that is true chrisname... it all adds up!

It's because we truly are superior!
</sarcasm>

Don't get me wrong I do indeed love British history (Wait, wouldn't that be considered my history too? O_o), I think I'm just a history nut. I try to read up on all American wars, to see the little bit of British involvement they have. (Like Britian sending a few Redcoats to civil war battles (not to fight, but to see if the Sourthern states were able to win the war, so they could send support. Kinda like the french)). I love the tactics they set up, along with the American's.

Since we were once colonies that technically means that the British historians love US history, too. (Because we were british). I just don't know where the hatred comes from.

I know it isn't from 1776, or The War of 1812 (That was a draw), so what is it?
Last edited on by Fredbill30
closed account (3qX21hU5)
I find it odd that people judge a whole demographic just because of the comments a few bad apples make. You can't judge the group as a whole because of what a single person has said.
Frebill30 wrote:
what do you guys call it?

American football, because what else would we call it?

I mean USA. It's just that people from the continents over here don't really refer to themselves as American, but by their country name. It's really something us USA people call ourselves.

If referring to themselves by their country name is good enough for every other American country, why not the USA? Why does the USA need to take the name of two entire continents?
If I was speaking of a whole continent, I'd call it North or South America.

Really, not to be ignorant or anything, I could technically the whole Hemisphere America due to whatever act that is on the tip of my tongue, that states any interference on our side of the earth will be treated as a threat to the US. It was supported by Britian.

You know what, that would be ignorant. Each country is it's own independent country. It shouldn't "belong" to the Union. Sorry for that, please forgive my ignorance.
If referring to themselves by their country name is good enough for every other American country, why not the USA? Why does the USA need to take the name of two entire continents?

Because saying "I'm a United States of American" is rather awkward. I'm sure, were there any other country whose named contained the continent on which it resided, they would be likely to refer to themselves in the same way. Besides, are we not Americans? Is stuff that originates here not American?

Why do Europeans call it American football? Couldn't you use the name of the country rather than the continent?
Its because its the most powerful country in the world and it sees itself as a force of good, its open to critisism much like the roman empire was
Last edited on
The British must hate the US, just look how much oil they dumped into its' largest gulf; Devon and Chrisname, are at least partially responsible.
just joking
Last edited on
"Sarcasm"? No, that was a thoughtful gift since we know how much you guys like oil.
chrisname wrote:
Americans? Do you mean people from the USA?


That is generally what is meant by any English speaker when they say "American", so yes.

America is a pair of continents


"America" is also short for "The United States of America" much how "South Africa" is shorthand for "The Republic of South Africa". Yet when you say "He is from South Africa", it's known you mean the Union of South Africa and not Botswana, which is also in southern Africa. If he was from Botswana, you would say "He is from Botswana".

This is the lamest thing to have a beef with. What's worse is I've heard it before.

of which the US comprises about a third.


Closer to a 5th or a 6th. ;P
Q: who made the kit that broke spilling the oil?
Q: who made the kit that broke spilling the oil?
Deepwater Horizon was built in South Korea by Hyundai Heavy Industries.
it was saftey checked in texas
Fredbill30 I think the correct name for american football should be "handegg" or "gay rugby" (Not a brit, just saying what comes to my mind)
jonhy31 wrote:
american football should be "handegg" or "gay rugby"
Gay rugby...If we are going to be pricks like you shall I say that I think soccer oh wait don't want to offend you "Foodball" is a 'gay' sport.
America is a pair of continents

America usually refers to North America, when you are referring to both continents you would say Americas.
jonhy31 wrote:
Fredbill30 I think the correct name for american football should be
The Rock wrote:
I doesn't matter what you think it should be named.

Heh sorry I saw the opening :).
devonrevenge wrote:
it was saftey checked in texas

And? It could have been safety checked in Inspections States R Us, doesn't mean the person checking it was thorough or competent enough to catch flaws in it or that they even had a test to catch the flaw that happened until it happened. Kind of the whole reason we have the term "human error".
Fredbill30 wrote:
I just want to know why people from Britain always bash us Americans.

The entire world bash us, but it is because our government tries to act like the world police and more and more Americans are getting the attitude of being entitled to whatever they want. Not to mention the fact that there is still some people that hate the US for breaking from the King of England and having a war with them.
Fredbill30 wrote:
I've been called a Yankee, a Colonist, a rebel - The names go on.

Yankee is what the south called northerners. A colonist refers to the fact that the US started out as 13 colonies. During the Civil War the confederate states were called rebels and people from the south still say they are rebels.
Fredbill30 wrote:
Then they say we are all fat, we have 5 billion McDonalds, and we are gun-tottin'.

You have got to watch news more. We have released studies ourselves saying our nation is mostly fat obese citizens. Well we don't have 5 billion, but having 12, 804 McDonald's restaurants is still bad as a Google search shows and estimate of serving 46 Million people a day McDonald food. As for guns, that part is true:
[quote=Gun Estimates from Blaze.com]According to the Geneva-based Small Arms Survey – the leading source of international public information about firearms – the U.S. has the best-armed civilian population in the world, with an estimated 270 million total guns. That’s an average of 89 firearms for every 100 residents.[/quote]
Fredbill30 wrote:
Oh yea, don't forget how much they scream when you call football soccer. (Not American Football).

Can't say I've ever had this happen and IU has people from all over the world so we have British, Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Indonesian, French, etc on our campus and I'm sure Indianapolis's IUPUI campus is loaded too.
Fredbill30 wrote:
They claim we butcher the language when infact we do speak the same language, just a different dialect.Also, before you say we have a messed up accent, it seems as though you guys do: ||| . You get all butthurt just because we took out the u in color and armor. (I actually spell it colour and armour).

Check your facts on that one. Historically, the reason we took out -u from words like colour was because Webster had an agenda when he wrote his book. If you look now (at least in my newer Webster dictionary) they have put u back in some words and have flipped er to re (like theatre became theater but is now back to its origins). As for dialects, American English is the language and we have southern dialect (which has other dialects as you go further south), northern dialects, etc. British English is the language and they have different dialects like we do, but they have similarities but are not the same.
Fredbill30 wrote:
Then you guys say we are colonists and come up with all sorts of ways to try to make it look like we're the bad child and stuff.

We are the bad child. We fought them to gain our independence, fought the French, Indians, then when every one was realized not to fight us we fought ourselves.
Fredbill30 wrote:
You guys bash us all the time, and call us names. But you don't see us Yankees calling you Limeys and stuff.

Actually we do, just like some of us use the N word when talking about African Americans (Paula Dean in the news for it just the past few weeks).

@Fredbill30 Are you kidding me? Every point you brought up wouldn't have even made half the guys here bat an eye if someone came up and said every thing you ranted about.
I believe that the American accent is closer to the old English accent than the British accent. It was due to the British aristocracy essentially trying to sound fancy and sophisticated I think.
Pages: 123