• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Debate: married programmers vs single pr

Debate: married programmers vs single programmers

Pages: 12
Hello,
After looking, searching, browsing, and analyzing

I say that single programmers are way better and creative then married programmers,

I know a married programmer after he stays too long working, his wife takes his keyboard until he gets some sleep break, while single programmers can work all night and be more creative.

who agrees with me ?
Last edited on
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
single programmers can work all night

I am a married programmer and often work all night, my wife very seldomly interferes with my career or hobby programming unless it is affecting my health. In fact, my wife often encourages the the hobby programming I do and helps me with bug and usability testing.

I also know many single programmers that do not do any programming outside of work. They have other hobbies such as golfing, fishing, working out, etc, and have no interest in "staying up all night and being creative" other then when they can get double-time for putting in overtime at work.

So I guess my answer is no.
Last edited on
#no translation available :/ , but it seems that it meas rarely
http://translate.google.com/#en/ar/seldomly

any way the single programmers you mentioned are not always like that, my hobby is to do free productivity software, I do that all day if I am free,
This programmer has girlfriend to attend to often, and is told to g to sleep at like 2 am!
closed account (3qX21hU5)
I don't really see how single or married really plays and role in a programmer being "better" or "more creative".

The only thing I can see it effecting is how long you are willing to work. Obviously if you have a family (Whether that be just a wife/husband or children also) it will effect usually how much hours you are willing to spend at work.

Though as darkestfright pointed out it all depends on the situation. A lot of spouses encourage their partners to do what they like to do. My fiance wouldn't mind if I spent most of my time programming but I would.

Also you have to realize long work hours don't mean you are a better programmer or more creative. There will be times where you have pull all nighters to make a deadline sure but them will be rare. Because to be frank if you spend all your time on programming you will start to suffer. You will start to lose concentration, you won't have fun doing it anymore, your health will suffer, ect.

So working long hours programming is going to damage your work more then it will help it. At least that is my experience. Keep a good balance between your work and personal life. To much of either one can be a bad thing.

So I would say there is no difference between married programmers and single programmers.

Last edited on
Yemeni Cpluspluser wrote:
#no translation available :/ , but it seems that it meas rarely

"Seldomly" is not a word; he meant "seldom", and yes it means the same as "rarely".
is told to g to sleep at like 2 am!

That's about when my ability to properly evaluate a problem starts to decline very quickly. At that point I usually just go to bed, when I wake up in the morning with a rested mind I usually solve my problems much quicker.
closed account (1v5E3TCk)
Maybe being married is not playing any role but having a child is.
I agree with everything Zereo has said.
It all depends on the person. If they have a true passion for programming than doing tons of it will only help their work. But if said person only programs because it's their job, then programming a lot would probably just make them grow to hate it and destroy their productivity. Especially if they have a wife or kids or even just other hobbies that they would want to go home to do/see.
Having a girlfriend is not the same as being married. Being single or married has nothing to do with programmers or the creativity of said programmers. The only thing that comes into play is having kids or not. Having no kids gives you plenty of time, but having kids (at least til teen years) requires you to spend time with them and play with them (Legos, games, etc.). My son takes up a lot of my time and I try to code from midnight til 3am every night then sleep from 3:10am til about 8 or 9am spend the whole day taking care of my wife and son then repeat.

So no I don't agree.
Don't you have a job?
Maybe he is a programmer?
A single programmer might have more time and less distraction. A relationship might make you a happier person, or inspire you in some way. Of course it's also possible that being in a relationship could make you a miserable person. It all depends.
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
Well everyone is different..who agrees
darkestfright wrote:
Don't you have a job?

Yes. My job is to take care of my wife and son who are disabled. Both have FSH Muscular Dystrophy which has them wheelchair bound and my son has additional health issues, two spots of tracheomalacia in one lung that causes him to stop breathing if he gets scared or agitated so they put a tracheotomy tube in his neck to give use direct access to his airway when he stops breathing. He also can't gain weight properly so they put in a feeding tube in his stomach (Mic-key) to put the nutrition right into his stomach.
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
@BHXSpecter

Your a great man.i feel sad for u wife and son
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Yea I hope I could be as caring and as great as BHX, he puts everyone he loves before himself.

I'm happy that he isn't like those who don't even care about their families and only themselves. You truly are a great man.
Well, BHX, you are a better man than I.
You are a real great man but i feel sad cuz i cant be a man like you or there is not any like you
Pages: 12