Why are you learning c++?

Pages: 12
closed account (1v5E3TCk)
Why are you learning c++?
My desire is being able to code games in the future so we are learning c++ with my friend.

Our to-do list:

-Learn c++
-Learn Java
-Learn Lua
-Make a 2d mmorpg
-Make a mod for Half-life( I am a half-life fan)
-Open a server for containing our projects
-Make own game

And what you want to do?

Last edited on
closed account (3qX21hU5)
I personally haven't found what I would like to do in programming yet. I started out like a lot of people these days in that I wanted to learn to program to develop games. I then found out that I liked games programming but I also liked other aspects of programming also.

Now I am trying to juggle a whole bunch of things I want to do.

~ Learn security programming. I know a decent amount of C++ for this but am getting more familiar with C and ASM and some high level languages.

~ Web development. Everything is starting to move to the web so I thought I would give it a shot. I started learning HTML and CSS a while ago and now moving onto Javascript and JQuery and also have a good grasp on python so for the server side of things I am dabbling in Django.

~ Another interest is financial programs like HFT software. Most people find this field boring and tedious I am told but for me it is interesting.

~ Game programming is still one of my interests so have been broadening my toolbox by learning Python and Pyglet or Python and PyGame (Haven't decided which I like more but leaning toward Pyglet). I have also been back to playing with C# and XNA even though Microsoft dropped it. And of course C++ and SFML is one of my favorites.

There are a few other interests but them are the main ones.

Also just thought I would mention you might want to move "Make a 2d mmorpg" down the list to the bottom. I am not trying to rain on your parade (Put you down), but any type of mmorpg will be a very large task. You might think that a 2d mmorpg might not be to hard but MMO's are some of the biggest game projects you can undertake. Most take anywhere from 2-3 years to complete with around 50 - 100 people working on them and a good amount of financial resources.
Last edited on
I personally haven't found what I would like to do in programming yet.

I have got pretty much the same problem. What "areas" of programming are there? I would like to give them all a try....

@OP I am learning C++ because I would like to get a job in software programming of some kind.
I wanted to be a game programmer when I started. Now? Honestly, I don't know anymore. I feel like I'm just going through the motions because of all the bad things I've heard about being a game programmer lately. Once someone removes the reason you started something you lose interest in it.
I am now on college,
My desire is to build the best productivity software, specially for MiddleEast purposes

And the ability to build the easiest freeware for end users in MiddleEast

There are a lot of software that must be in Arabic
It is nice to see everyone has a desire but why did you give up?
Didn't give up, just don't know what I want to do with it anymore as all the other fields in programming bore me. I went to college and graduated, but was told I didn't have enough experience to land a dev house job. Lack confidence in my programming. Probably not cut out for it either, but I still program odds and ends. Been doing it for 16 years and will always consider myself a beginner.
Maybe you can make a to-do list like me?
I started learning C++ initally because I had to. Now the tides have turned and I 'get to'. During my Computer Engineering degree C++ happened to be a couple of classes I had to take, among classes for other programming languages like C, Python, MIPS Assembly, VHDL...

I'm working this summer and pretty much solely doing software development with C++ for industry semiconductor product testing. Interesting stuff, and I learn something new every day :)

For me there was a little hope in the back of my mind wishing I could do game programming, but early on I was told it was the chosen few, with opportunities few and far between, kinda like the astronauts of programmers. My dream was always to be a professional musician on tour anyway, so I figured I'd get an honest job that suits interests and pursue my music dream along the way when I could ;)
with the many you are earning from programming you can make a home studio for casting music :D
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
I wanna be a programmer and a hacker
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Well that's something a 10 year old would say Capn'.

I would say the same thing when I was 10, I thought I was a pro at Ruby and I could hack into the government.

I learned C++ initially to make games, I started with RPG Maker and Game Maker with GML, and I must say if I had the choice of learning C++ before Ruby and GML I'd do that.

Game Makers like the 2 above really just make you think making games are easier than they really are, and they just got me frustrated when I was working on my prototype engine the first time. It forced me to use other techniques that were never used in game makers. I would trade C++ game making for any other game maker anyday, however I still go back to the forums to try to help out with problems with Ruby and GML. I occasionally play around with RMVX every once in a while.

Now I not only like Game programming but I like statistics, financial, and I like exercises.

I currently have a to do list also.

[x] Learn C++
[x] Learn another scripting language.
[x] Learn a graphics library
[ ] Teach my friend how to use C++ and Ruby/Python/Lua/Squirrel
[x] Teach my friend SDL
[x] Teach my friend OpenGL
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Well that's something a 10 year old would say Capn'.

That made me laugh
Zereo wrote:
That made me laugh

Me too.

Something one 12 year old would say to another 12 year old.
Guess that is funny, but I laughed harder at his todo list:
Fredbill30 wrote:

[x] Learn C++
[x] Learn another scripting language.
[x] Learn a graphics library
[ ] Teach my friend how to use C++ and Ruby/Python/Lua/Squirrel
[x] Teach my friend SDL
[x] Teach my friend OpenGL

Then started thinking of his video tutorial series. After that I realized two things, he needs to uncheck "Learn C++" as obviously he hasn't. Second, drop the last three as he isn't ready to teach anyone.

I'm not ready to teach anyone, and that is why I don't. Though, I know C++ can't be learned in a couple of years and don't say I know C++. I've been doing it for 16 years and still say I'm learning C++. Makes me wonder, if he did #using what falsehoods has he taught his friend for each (well that and how can he teach two libraries that have steep learning curves if he is stumbling over C++).
algebra must be in the list. there are complex calculations in game programming.
In my college degree we had to do Algebra, Physics, Calculus, Discrete Math, and then had two courses Math for Game Programming I and II.
I wanna be a programmer and a hacker

Actually, it didn't made me laugh. That's good CaptainBlastXD. When I was young, all I do in my life is to do stupid things such as cutting classes, not listening to teachers, no assignments, school fight (i'm an ex gangster LOL), dropped out of first year high school 3 times and others shit. After watching movies like matrix, hackers and other computer related/hacking movies, it amazed me and becomes my inspiration. After that, I started to study hard but not because my mother told me, but because I need it for my future and I like what Im doing which is a great advantage over normal students.

He's only 12 but look at him, he knows a few things about computers. Now look at the other children out there, doing shit.
Last edited on
I want to add that never mind anything the others says. Only think about what you desire and how can you do it and try every way that you can
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
Senhor ..you also need to chose one of these...well u dont have to but this is real game programming

>OpenGL: this runs on all platforms (windows,linux and OS X). Less creative than DirectX

> DirectX: Only on windows.better graphics.more creative stuff..

So if u wanna program games like a pro u gota chose one of these
Pages: 12