Raspberry Pi

Pages: 12
Who all owns one and what have they done with theirs such as turn it into a gps , game system , ect..

I am just curious because I have been wanting to get one for quite some time and I finally ordered one last night and can't wait to get to play around with it.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I'm buying one soon. but I'm scared it will take up all my time and I will start to be a no-life.

I plan to make a game system, but now I want to use one along with multiple electric motors to make my room automated.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
I have a few Raspberry Pis. Mainly I use them for messing around with, I'm not a big fan of Linux for a desktop OS so I don't have it installed on one and the Pi is a perfect platform to run Linux embedded.

In terms of projects, I have several on the go (various stages of planning and investigation)
~ Linux System Programming (not a project as such but will produce GPIO drivers/libraries and other knowledge)
~ 3D Printer
~ Software Defined Radio

I know I can download lots of code and plans for the projects that interest me but for me it is about the journey not the destination.
closed account (1v5E3TCk)
Dont laugh me but what is Raspberry Pi
http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs
I'm making an audio mixer with mine so that I can listen to the output of all of my computer devices at once. When I get it working I'll add support for effects and SSH so it can be controlled.
i read everything on the link which you give but what can i do with a Pi? It is not powerfull.
i read everything on the link which you give but what can i do with a Pi? It is not powerfull.
That is a bit hard to answer...I guess you can either see a use for it or not. It is powerful enough to be part of several projects I'm interested in.
Not all programming is done on super computers...
There are other boards that are better for many projects, particularly ones that involve controlling circuitry. The advantage of Raspberry Pi is that it has a complete operating system, which means you can write more complex software. It's not very good for microcontroller type projects though: though it can be used for them, Arduino is probably more suitable. You can also combine an Arduino and a Raspberry Pi, although in that case you may want to use something like the BeagleBone Black: http://circuitco.com/support/index.php?title=BeagleBoneBlack which runs Linux like the RPi but has more I/O pins like the Arduino.
You can actually hook a bunch of pi's together and make a super computer if you want...Sounds pretty cool the projects you guys are working on I was thinking about making mine into like a wireless radio and maybe going downtown and paying to use the 3d printer to make a case for it. I also heard some people turned them into gps's for their car or security cameras for their home there's so many projects I can do for around 50 dollars after getting the sd.
giblit wrote:
You can actually hook a bunch of pi's together and make a super computer if you want

This as well. That's something I want to try at some point using Boost.MPI.
Can i use it as a server?
Of course. I know of someone (with a strange network design) that uses them as DHCP servers throughout his network.
This is really nice i will search about it thanks.
Would a pi be a good option for robotics?
When I say robotics I mean a robot that can sense its world, move, maybe some sort of path finding or mapping.
An Arduino would probably be a better choice for that; I don't think the Raspberry Pi would have enough I/O pins. You could use both if you needed libraries that aren't available for Arduino, but I think you'd be better off using a BeagleBone Black (see my link above) then.
I read that a lot of people do use raspberry pis for robots but I think they hack it and then add the extra necessary things. One of the guys from the distribution companies I believe made a "gameboy" like thing with his.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUZjzQuTNX4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DVyHE8MJLY
I read that a lot of people do use raspberry pis for robots...
it is usually just a matter of connecting to an expansion board (Pi-Face, GERTBOARD, etc) to get extra IO or an Arduino (with appropriate capes).

At the moment the plan for my 3D Printer involves Raspberry Pi + Arduino + RAMPS board.

-----===##===-----

The BeagleBone Black does look like a nice bit of kit, it made it onto my 'toy list' the day they announced it.
i got excited about a pi now it does nothing but sit there and look cool, I think im going to set a network up one day and see if I can understand complicated ass networking once and for all.

maybe Im ready to read beej's guide to networking, maybe it should wait :/
Pages: 12