Areas in programming

Hey all, I have been reading a few threads on the forum and they have gotten me thinking that I do not actually know what area in programming I want to be in. What re the different areas within programming/software development. I mean like games development, ai development, web development, etc. I just wanted to know what other area there are.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_science has a few areas listed.
This Summer I'm working on software development in the semiconductor industry, mostly for backend testing (to make sure the product performs as it should). I didn't know that there was a need for this before I got this position. The stuff I'm working with is almost entirely C++, with some Perl for parsing and text manipulation.
Wow, I did not realise that there were so many diverse fields there were. I have been quite narrow minded. Thanks for the input.
closed account (1v5E3TCk)
Which area can you recommend me I am interesting in physics and math.
Simulations. That's a pretty big field.
Maybe simulation games :D Like MoH, BusDriver :D
I have done game programming and web development. I can't recommend any other areas because I've not gotten into them as I have no interest in any field outside of game programming. Only learned web dev so I could do indie games and make pages for them without paying someone else.
So nice. Can you help me with my progress. I want to be a game programmer too
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Well first off you'll need a graphics library.

If you're using OpenGL and not DirectX, SDL and SFML have nice window & input handling.
Cryptology is good if you like maths.
Last edited on
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
and puzzles
Thanks for helps. Cryptology may be a good choice.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Thanks for helps. Cryptology may be a good choice.

http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/105308/#msg568259
I am thankful
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.