Why every one like to make games

Hello,
I noticed that most new users want to learn programming just to make games,
I also like making games too, but I like making productivity software more, it gives more benefit & more revenue and making it is more exciting, who agrees with me?
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Because we like games, as little children we played games, now we play games, I'm sure everyone at one point who programs wanted to make a game just like COD, or mario or battlefield.
closed account (o1vk4iN6)
Nope, I've never wanted to make a game like COD. It's one of the few games I've bought and never cared for where the CD was, so now it's where it belongs, in oblivion. The run and gun gameplay is simply terrible and caters to the mindless zombies that buy essentially the same game every year. From the technical side, the series has been running the same engine with little to no improvement (fish AI yay) for the last 6 years. It's a game dev studio that sold it's soul to the corporate world. At least the original founders bailed out as they saw what has become of the studio. That is not a position I would ever want to be in nor do I want to even touch it with a 10 foot pole.
I think games are a heavy inspiration to start programming, but often times people will find other things there are interested in.

i got interested in programming for making games, then i found out about programming Micro Controllers, and interesting algorithms.

i think it mainly depends on the person as to what they branch of in too
Fredbill30 wrote:
Because we like games, as little children we played games, now we play games, I'm sure everyone at one point who programs wanted to make a game just like COD, or mario or battlefield.
I've wanted to be a programmer since I was 8 years old. And while I did play video games occasionally with friends (my mother refused to get me a nintendo) I was never driven by the idea of making a game.
Well not everyone, but most.
I would have to say that it is "most young" and not "most beginners" who want to be game developers.
Well, yea that's a better way of putting it.
closed account (1v5E3TCk)
After seing the terrible games i hear the voice that says me "Hey man why cant you a game like that huh?". And every time i hear that voice i want to make my own game (:
Because on the web, if you are asking for what programming language should learn to develop games, most people will recommend c++ because 1, programs written in c++ is fast, 2, because of the pointers that can free memories manually which is a great advantage for programs such as a big game which objects are allocating large amount of memories, 3, because it's lower level than java, c# and others. Since c++ is their choice, whenever they want to join a forum, the number 1 option is cplusplus.com. Yeah, not everyone like to make games but most of the users here do.
Last edited on
^ Best answer so far. :)
Fredbill30 wrote:

The ones that get into wanting to make COD or Battlefield will quickly get depressed and give up. I got in to make 2D games and especially a RPG I created back in 2000 and made an SourceForge account for it in June 2002. Probably never get it done though.
I personally dislike COD and Battlefield, I actually got into programming with 2D top-downs also.
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
Well i dont wanna make games.im staying on the programming side...this is true..whoever i meet here just wants to be a game designer....Programmer play games to..Well i stopped becuz it was distracting me...I used to play MW3,Battalefield 3,minecraft,most wanted and many other games...i had to get a new graphics card to get those games to run in higher quality
jasonrobertz357 wrote:
Because on the web, if you are asking for what programming language should learn to develop games, most people will recommend c++ because 1, programs written in c++ is fast, 2, because of the pointers that can free memories manually which is a great advantage for programs such as a big game which objects are allocating large amount of memories, 3, because it's lower level than java, c# and others. Since c++ is their choice, whenever they want to join a forum, the number 1 option is cplusplus.com. Yeah, not everyone like to make games but most of the users here do.

Yes most people will say C++, others will say C#, Java, Python, or use a tool like Game Maker or Unity.

1) I agree with that to an extent. Some languages are fast too.
2) Manually? Don't you mean automatically? If it manually frees memories that means you have to free it.
3)I thought Java and C++ were on the same level in terms of high level languages since most colleges teach them interchangeably.

Yeah, I found this site and Cprogramming.com with Google. Though, I joined Allegro.cc first. I played Operation Spacehog ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ka21Tsp70Q ), asked the creator Johan Peitz how to make them. He directed me to Allegro and allegro.cc. Peitz is now running FreeLunchDesign(FLD) [ http://www.freelunchdesign.com ] the company that made Icy Tower. I've never made a game like what they have:(.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.