Ways on Keeping My Game From Eating RAM

Pages: 1234
closed account (o1vk4iN6)
Not biased. I own the PS3 versions of all those and have never touched the PC version as I don't mod. Single studio or not those are the 4 largest modded games of their time which is the only reason I listed them. Minecraft is so you can mod it, but you have to know Java in order to even do that. With Elder Scrolls and Fallout you are given tools where you build the levels, items and everything you want, set the data in the tools and then the tools let you put them in the game or even publish them for other owners of the game to play the mods.

It's biased towards the reasoning that modding games is the normal when I can name 200+ games that don't provide modding support and you only named 4. Not only that all those 4 came from the same studio. If you can't see how that's baised then I can't help you there.

They don't dumb it down for the gamer, the dumb it down in fear the gamer will get frustrated with the game and leave it. The history of games prove this, older games challenged you and were damn hard to beat, but now the games are easy to beat.

In either case it is for the average gamer.

I could have listed Call of Duty 4 for PC as it allowed modding by means of making your own maps. SecondLife allows modding, that whole game is built around being able to do whatever you want in it. Terraria allows you to mod it, Killing Floor (Steam), Unreal Tournament series, Portal 1 and 2 I believe allowed mods, and more are able to be modded.

http://www.moddb.com/mods site dedicated to mods and games that can be modded. Their list is a lot larger than what I can name.

xerzi wrote:
In either case it is for the average gamer

Does that mean average gamers have become ####...nevermind I'll censor myself there. :o
closed account (N36fSL3A)
... I just wanted to know how to make maps in binary form...
I could have listed Call of Duty 4 for PC as it allowed modding by means of making your own maps. SecondLife allows modding, that whole game is built around being able to do whatever you want in it. Terraria allows you to mod it, Killing Floor (Steam), Unreal Tournament series, Portal 1 and 2 I believe allowed mods, and more are able to be modded.

Exactly, but you just listed a bunch of games by the same studio.

Does that mean average gamers have become ####...nevermind I'll censor myself there. :o

Yes most gamers are just cash cows, look at what the COD series has become.
xerzi wrote:
Exactly, but you just listed a bunch of games by the same studio.

Actually I was going to only going to name New Vegas and Skyrim as they were the most recent games I knew of that did it, but then remembered the previous two games also allowed it. I didn't name others because the only games I play on my PC are hidden object games. I grew tired of RPGs and FPSs and I don't know why. I still buy my favorite franchises, but I haven't played a game in a while. For example, I'll be getting the Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection for PS3, but it may be months before I actually play them. I literally have about 100 PC games, 130 PS3 games, 80 PSN games, 10 Wii games, 8 DS games, and 16 PSP games, but I spend my day programming instead of playing now.

My favorite hidden object game on the Kindle Fire is Brink of Consciousness: Dorian Gray Syndrome from Big Fish Games.

Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
Hence the biased :/. I don't even know what you are arguing any more.
I don't even know how me wanting to make my maps binary turned into an argument about modding.
Me neither, Fredbill30
@xerzi
I'm arguing the 'biased' part. You are saying I am biased for naming those, but if I was biased I wouldn't have acknowledged that there were other games. A biased person never changes their point of view even after being proven wrong (look at news companies they are biased to one side or the other and only argue points that agree with them or find 'experts' that prove their stance).

Also, it isn't biased towards modding either as I never said they were the only modifiable games or the only good modifiable games. I just used them as examples of modifiable games. They are the most recent games so I figured, unless you live under a rock, you would have heard of them. A biased view is "Jeff Gordon is the greatest race car driver ever." You are taking the examples far more than face value.

@Fredbill30 @Disch
Because Fred said he didn't want to allow the end user to modify his data which led into modding and examples of games that allow modifying.
It isn't that I don't want to allow modding, (which I actually might - but let's be real, who is actually gonna play?), I just don't want anyone exploiting my source because I was gonna use it in a portfolio.

Anyway can someone explain file headers to me? (For binary)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 1234