c++

Pages: 1234
Does anyone recommend the way they learned c++, from a youtube tutorial or anything that will teach me how to make 2d games? Have any options?
Learn the language and basic programming techniques.
Grab a library.
Use documentation and various tutorials to see how to do stuff.
Write the game.
You need to know the fundamentals of the language before you start learning game programming stuff. Find a full beginner friendly tutorial series, or book, and go through the whole thing very carefully.

There is one on this site. There is also a pretty decent basic one here, http://www.learncpp.com/. I liked learncpp when I was starting out because it moves quickly and is to the point; but it's only the basics.

When your done then buy a good C++ book and start reading that. I read Effective C++ because it's free, but it's also like 1400 pages or something, and it's old. I recommend find something new that covers C++11.
Last edited on
One what would a library do? And two I know I good bit of basic c++ like for instants.

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
int main()

{

cout << "Hello World";

system ("pause");
return 0;

}
If you see anything in the main learncpp tutorial that do you don't know inside and out, then you don't know the basics of C++, you need to push on.
Last edited on
The difference between Hello, World and a game is pretty drastic lol. I kind of hope that was a joke post...
Is there a program that will allow me to make ios games with a windows 7 without buying a mac, and that is leagal! Thanks
closed account (3qX21hU5)
First off to actually get games or apps on the app store you will need a Apple Developers account.

Second I would suggest maybe learning some Objective C since that is apples main development language I believe (I could be wrong since I am not a big apple fan).

Third get familiar with XCode.

Fourth and most important learn the basics of programming before you even attempt to dive into games programming specially for mobile devices. I don't believe you were joking when you posted the hello world program and its good that you have a goal (Making Games) but remember be realistic. The "Hello World" program you posted is what people learn in their first day of programming usually. It will most likely take you a year of learning if not more before you have enough of a grasp on programming language to successfully tackle development of a game. Key word being successfully because it is a huge difference between making a game and completing one.

So pace yourself and don't go to fast. The things you learn in the beginning are VERY important because they are the core aspects of programming and you will use them all the time so you must understand them fully.

As for do you have to own a mac to develop on for IOS I am not sure, but I am going to take a guess and say yes since that would be consistent with Mac.
Last edited on
Best reply goes to Zereo, but I dont know why everyone keeps saying I need to learning some Objective C, I know a guy that made a really popular game called "Mini Militia" on the ios store, and I asked him he said that you can use c++ to make games for the appstore. Ok, I really just want a really good youtube channel that has like 70 or more tutorials with learning c++, so if you know of any I would reather watch a video.
I am willing to give about 8 hours a day learning until school start back! So I will no matter what will never give up trying to make my game, remember that!
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
int main()

{

cout << "John: I want to make a game";
cin >> "choice";
cout << "Peter: What kind of game?";
cin >> "choice";
cout << "John: A 2d shooter game for the android and apple appstore!";
cin >> "choice";
cout << "Peter: Well youll never be able to do that, just give up you lazy idiot!";
cin >> "choice";
cout << "I will have a deal if you give me something to learn c++ with I will learn how to program very advanced by march 2014, just give me the link to the programming website or whatever!"
cin >> "choice";

system ("pause");
return 0;

}

Just pretent I am John I am that willing to learn! Please help me! I want to make money programming! Thanks
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Don't worry about your future of your game just worry about getting better.

BTW you have many things wrong with that little example. First off, "choice" isn't a variable, and even if it was it doesn't have a type, and even if it did have a type I'd be useless because you don't check the input received.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Personally I don't like learning from youtube videos they are generally to short to get a in depth knowledge of the aspect of programming they are teaching but that is just me.

If you want a youtube video to learn C++ why don't you go to youtube and search for C++ tutorials? Find a series you like and watch it. Some people will say Buckies(I think I got his name right) tutorials are amazing but I personally think they are full of bad information and bad habbits but that is just me.

Other then that I would recommend finding a solid tutorial online (Like the one at this website) or buying yourself a good C++ beginner book like C++ Primer 5th Edition (Not to be confused with the lesser quality C++ Primer Plus) or accelerated C++. If you can't afford to buy any books just check out your local library for some.

P.S you are using cin wrong in your last post.
Last edited on
... Watch NowExplain. On youtube.
Check out this thread for good video based learning resources.

http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/105877/
Okay, here is my two cents. Listing the code for the first program you ever learn when you start learning any language was a minus on you. Misusing cin, in the next example is another minus. Using system("PAUSE"); is another minus. Luckily, you will find, as a programmer learning you are allowed a butt load of minuses. I'd seriously recommend investing in a good book. Learn basics of C++, then pick SDL/SFML to make a 2D game and start looking for tutorials. Making a game is a lot harder when you don't know the language you are using to program it in.

The fact that you are using system("PAUSE"); makes me think you are using Dev-C++ IDE and I would recommend changing to Code::Blocks if you are. For a cheap good book, I'd recommend Accelerated C++ by Andrew Koenig and Barbara E. Moo as a starter book.
Or if you're programming on windows you should use the one and only... VISUAL C++ 2010!
Actually I would say to avoid VC2010 and all MS things until you learn C++. MS makes you use their compiler which doesn't hold as tight to the C++ standard as the guys making MinGW and GNU do (as I think MinGW is a windows implementation of the GNU compiler).
Well I do and I use VC++ (Well actually I use a few system calls, but I'm currently replacing them with cross-platform solutions).

I think using that IDE increases productivity, as long as you're programming for windows. And if you're making anything small, don't count on VC++ as I find it gets in the way and is overkill.

At the same time I do like MinGW, I like to use it a lot for some reason.
A programmer's productivity is not connected to an IDE. I've watched documentaries and videos of some dev teams and most of them code in simple text editors like Vim that have text highlighting at minimal and a terminal open. An IDE only connects the compiler, linker, and debugger to an interface so you bypass having to do all the steps by hand. IDEs only automate the build process and debug commands so you aren't having to learn the tool commands (which in some industries is a negative as I know a few programmers in software development at a couple of Michigan companies that have to use command line tools for their work). It is fine to use an IDE, but I recommend taking time to learn the processes behind the IDE as soon as you can too.
Pages: 1234