c++

Pages: 1234
BHXSpecter: It's cool. I can respect your position. I guess I just have a different technique. =)

Also, is the misspelling of "Disch" as "Dish" intentional? You're missing the extra C. The C is for "Cool". ;P

j/k, I don't care if you call me Dish, I just wanted to use the 'c is for cool' line
Disch wrote:
Also, is the misspelling of "Disch" as "Dish" intentional? You're missing the extra C. The C is for "Cool". ;P

Oops! No, that definitely isn't intentional. I try to get spellings right because it drives me nuts when I see people put BHXSpector, but I can handle BHXSpectre.

As for my techniques, I'm starting to wonder if they are wrong. If I was encouraged to use bad techniques I definitely want to get rid of them.
Its not that the technique is bad, its that it doesn't scale well with larger projects and IMO isn't very efficient.
Last edited on
I agree that know well how to use a debugger is a great skill to have. You never know when you will need to spend some significant time tracking down a bug; might be yours or someone else's. But, for the most part, I do fine coding along without much use of a debugger. Every once in a while I get perplexed about what's going wrong, and my first instinct is to copy and pasted a bunch of printf statements to see exactly where things went wrong. It usually takes less than a minute and I narrow down the probable then I figure out how to fix it. The way I build my projects it's probably just as quick to use a few quick printf statements as it is to recompile with debug symbols and step through the program. Good use of a debugger really help sometimes, but not using one doesn't make a big enough impact to me to really worry about. Profilers are really handy.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Or you can just use the debugger and check the values of variables as when you please.
Fredbill30 wrote:
Or you can just use the debugger and check the values of variables as when you please.

How many times are you going to say that before you realize no one is paying attention? :P
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
Despite popular belief and myself being a Linux fan, debugging on Linux isn't as pleasant as debugging in VC++. Literally the only point I give to Microsoft.
Read "Thinking in C++" after you've learned the basics to really grasp the logic of C++
I didn't really learn from any books...
Frebill30 wrote:
I didn't really learn from any books...

Therefore you can't learn from books at all.
ResidentBiscuit wrote:
Therefore you can't learn from books at all.

Why not?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 1234