Is it just me?

Pages: 1... 7891011... 13
It also doesn't matter that you take lessons. It matters how good you are.

Most people in my school can't take me, and know they can't.

I don't think I've ever been bullied.
Being a nerd/geek has been cool for some time. I'm pretty nerdy and was fairly popular in school among several 'social tiers'

What isn't cool is being socially awkward. You can be nerdy and cool, but you can also be nerdy and uncool. But the two are not tightly bound.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
It also doesn't matter that you take lessons. It matters how good you are.

it absolutely does matter. i wasnt good at programming until i took lessons

I don't think I've ever been bullied.

i havent ever been bullied either. that has nothing to do with it. being a nerd doesnt mean you cant hold your own

edit: made myself more clear
Last edited on
I'm just saying I'm not the average programmer who got beat up when they were growing up as manga said.

Matter of fact I don't think I would even be interested in computers if my dad wasn't an electrician/computer scientist already.

I'd just be a jock-ish dude.
im pretty sure the average programmer doesnt get beat up. am i the most athletic? no, but im not some defensless weakling.
I said according to Manga.
sorry my mistake. however, manga is (imo) wrong. almost everyone i know in technology doesnt fit what he said here: http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/106184/8/#msg576537
however i havent been everywhere in the world and studied every work environment, school, and the dynamics of groups. only the ones im privy of

edit: rephrased so it didnt seem like i was attacking manga
Last edited on
Hey I can admit I got bullied.

I am not sure if it was because I was a nerd or because I was small and weak, or maybe both.

Now I exercize a lot so that I can turn it around and pick on those smaller than me. It is just how it has to be...

So take this fred, pow!! and a cyber atomic wedgie!!! Time to admit it, I made you want to cry didn't I.
;( Manga that wasn't funny :(

Anyway, there are multiple kids in the 8th grade who actually beat up multiple grown men.
im not saying no nerd has ever got bullied, im saying that i dont think its because they were a nerd.
It's because they're small and weak.

I constantly have to stand up for my friends that are not "physically strong".

Wouldn't say they were a burden, but sometimes the ask for it.
well my hypothesis is that bullies like the feeling of power they get by pushing other kids around. It makes them feel strong and confident.

but if they try to push around strong kids like fred they might get defeated. that would make them feel weak. So they target small kids like I once was.

Okay now you're starting to sound like devon Manga.
I guess programming causes you to shrink and become a target for those who haven't been shrunk.
So who gets into lots of fights. I only fought back maybe twice as a kid. The first time I hit this other kid on his fist with my eye. He learned I don't take the piss thay day I tell you.

My other fight I did not do as well, we sorted rolled around on the floor hitting each other until a teacher broke it up. Oh well.
The best parts about wrestling matches is when your opponent gets too cocky and thinks he's better, then I usually end up stacking him/putting him on his back, then he is humbled.

One time I injured this dude, and made another one cry...
DTSCode wrote:
im pretty sure the average programmer doesnt get beat up. am i the most athletic? no, but im not some defensless weakling.

I've only been in one fight my whole life, and it had nothing to do with my geek-ness. Kid thought I couldn't fight so I was an easy win, so he told me my father wasn't murdered, but had paid the guys to kill him because I was his son. I beat the kid without ever throwing a punch.

Though, I have been threatened tons of times with weapons or threats of weapons being used.
Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
Manga wrote:

The first time I hit this other kid on his fist with my eye

Translation: I got punched in the eye

=p
that made my day... so glad you pointed that out modshop.
Last edited on
Kid thought I couldn't fight so I was an easy win, so he told me my father wasn't murdered, but had paid the guys to kill him because I was his son.

WTF BHXSpecter, is there some back story here I am missing?!!!
Pages: 1... 7891011... 13