• Forum
  • Lounge
  • What do you do if you are bored with a p

What do you do if you are bored with a programming exercise?

Pages: 12
Some of us learn programming through books, and for those who try to test what we have just read, we generally try to do the programming exercises. I often do this, and on some occasions I generally stumble upon exercises that I am not interested in or bore me. I am usually bored not because I feel as though I know how to solve the problem, but I just don't get any sense of thrill from that problem. I sometimes try to force myself to get through it, but that usually results in me day dreaming, or abandoning my programming book for days.

So what do you suggest I do? Should I just man up and force myself do get though the exercise or is there another effective method of going about this. Thanks in advance.
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
Well If you don`t get what an exercise means post it here. And You also need to man up. This is what you should do. Read the part 2-3 times i read some 2 times and some 3 times ..the second time it makes more sense than the first aand if you are confused than ask us we are here. Just dont read it once try to read it 3 times u will learn something new i promise u.
:D
I didn't learn much from my book either. Reading and doing exercises quickly bored me.
Everything changed when I decided to make a program on my own. I started needing all the things that the exercises were supposed to teach me, but now I had a concrete reason to learn them.
Everytime I talk with someone learning programming I always suggest them to start working on a personal project. They will still need to learn all the basics and it's harder to feel like quitting.
@CaptainBlastXD, Lol, I appreciate the advice. I will be coming here on cpluplus forum more for clarification.

@maeriden, you have a good point with the personal project. Lately I have found myself focusing on programming exercises than my own personal project, which defeats the point on learning a programming language like C++. Learning syntax is one thing, but making personal project that have real word problems is another. I have found your advice quite helpful too.

Keep them coming :D.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
When I find exercises that bore me, I just don't do them. I have better things to do than try to solve a problem I already know how to solve, like focus on my own projects.
Do it if it interests you. Don't do it if it doesn't.
The point of programming is to have fun! At least it is for me. If you're doing it for school, best of luck with that.

I find that if you read books and just barely practice the material it's okay. Somewhere down the line when you're doing a personal project you'll realize there's something you don't know, then you go back to the book and do some exercises with it. That's the best learning process for me.
I use colors to console :D
It refreshed me little bit
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
Do it if it interests you. Don't do it if it doesn't.

Wish I could do that at work. Part of being a developer is being able to man-up and do the boring stuff too.
@darkestfright
I understand that it's a different thing when you're getting paid to program.
The OP seems to just be learning it on his own. To which i say: do what you want.
If you're on someone's payroll then do what they need you to do regardless of how you feel about it.
I continually find the exercises tedious, and I usually end up skipping them, but I have to agree with maeriden, a personal project is a great way to make it more interesting, and another thing is that you will find out what you don't know and what you need to know to do the project. I did that, I'm not very advanced yet but I've got a game that has pushed my abilities to the limit and then I learn a little more and that limit gets harder and harder to reach. and CaptainBlast: good idea
@maeriden
Everytime I talk with someone learning programming I always suggest them to start working on a personal project. They will still need to learn all the basics and it's harder to feel like quitting.

An exercise can be a personal project.:) There are many such exercises in the form of a question in this forum. And even very experienced programmers try to resolve a question that is to do an exercise.
Last edited on
Making personal programs are great.

sometimes i just take part of the STL or some programming practice and make a program that utilizes everything i could think to fully flesh out my knowledge of it, but i might be one of the few people who finds that fun :F
I get into maths a bit more and explore maths through practicing code, project euler is great for that ort of thing
For those who do the programming exercises after the chapter. Do you guys do every set of questions or a couple then move on?
As for me as far as I remember I never did exercises after a chapter. Usually I test the code that is shown inside a chapter.
@vlad from moscow, wow thats amazing.

How proficient are you in C++? I'm just curious.
@Czar05
I remember I looked over the exercises at the end of the chapter and did only the ones that I didn't find trivial. If I could think of how to do it before I finished reading it it wasn't worth doing IMO.
But everybody learns differently and at different rates.

EDIT: spelling.
Last edited on
@Thumper, thats interesting.

I'm trying to find different ways of learning the language. My current method is very slow, and takes my weeks to get through the topic and comprehend the material.
@Czar05
Learning c++ (especially if its your first language) is going to take time. Its not something you master quickly. I'd say its akin to learning an instrument.
With c++ as my first, It was at least 2 years before I started producing anything worth while.
Practice makes perfect. All you can do is keep at it.
@Thumper, ya your right.

I need to work on my patience. I have been learning C++ for two or so years now. I decided to go back to the basics because I found holes in my knowledge, because I rushed through the material.
Pages: 12