Laptops Or Desktops

Pages: 12
Which do you prefer?

i tend to go for Desktops because of easy maintenance.

just bought a laptop today, had a flamboyant pixel so i had to take it back and get a new one VS if it was a desktop, i could return the monitor later and not have to worry about waiting to get it all set up.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
I find a good laptop to be more versatile that a desktop but generally I think of them as having different roles; so it depends on the situation.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
That's like saying Java vs C++.

Anyway I prefer Desktops, I only use Laptops when I absolutely need to.
Laptop with two big external monitors is like a desktop, but with additional mobility. The only downside is the price you have to pay to get a similar performance like a good desktop.
The price for a decent laptop is i pretty damn bad. this 300$ laptop can barely stream netflix HD.

Laptop with two big external monitors is like a desktop, but with additional mobility.

do you really lug around 2 monitors with your laptop?
Laptops are detachable from external monitors. You get mobility when you detach it. ;)

The price for a decent laptop is usually about 1.5-2x the price of a desktop with similar performance. Taking into account the price of good monitors which you have to buy in both cases - the price difference is not that bad. In both cases it is hard to get something decent within $2500.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
technically desktops are detachable too
closed account (z05DSL3A)
technically desktops are detachable too
you can also put a laptop on your desk top and a desktop on your lap.
You get mobility when you detach it. ;)
you also have mobility with a desktop. unless you drill it down or something along those lines you can move a desktop around
you can move a desktop around

Unless you rack-mounted it...
you know what cubbi? im gonna walk around with a rack full of servers just to prove you wrong
Ideally I'd have both. Desktop for high performance, laptop for mobility and ease of access anywhere.

Currently I have a large laptop with a second monitor. Used to run stuff well, but now my graphics card is dying on it and I can't play any games, and it gets super hot. And there's nothing I can do about it. Now I have a big brick I have to carry around that does nothin besides web browsing and programming.

I wish I would have got a smaller normal sized laptop and spent the leftover money on a decent desktop that I could throw upgrades in over time.
closed account (G309216C)
I prefer Desktops for programming as they are very comfortable whereas laptops are more for programming when mobile and moving place to place.

I do need a comfortable chair because it will keep me in a nice feeling so I can program.
Currently I have a large laptop with a second monitor. Used to run stuff well, but now my graphics card is dying on it and I can't play any games, and it gets super hot. And there's nothing I can do about it. Now I have a big brick I have to carry around that does nothin besides web browsing and programming.

and thats exactly why i cant bring myself to invest in a good laptop
That very much depends on where you do work. I'm used to work in various different places (including 3 places where I live and also sometimes on a plane), so a mobile workstation is the only possible solution. Working on a light but slow laptop - no, thanks.
thats exactly the situation where a laptop makes sense
Docked laptop with dual monitors is what we use at work. Undock for meetings, working from home, etc..
just curious, did you supply you own laptop?
Paoletti301 wrote:
just curious, did you supply you own laptop?

We're given one at work. We have the same setup as moorecm, a laptop with a docking station connected to two monitors, keyboard, and mouse.

Though I often have my personal laptop sitting next to all this as well for other testing/side projects. Or just to have documentation up
is a docked laptop hard to type on? i ask because its the only reason i can think of attaching a keyboard. not to say there isnt, just the only one i can think of. i understand the mouse though
Pages: 12