game idea anyone?

Pages: 1234... 7
I've had a series of RPGs games in my mind for years. I wanted to take a story line a la Final Fantasy, tons of characters a la Suikoden or Shining Force, and a Central Headquarters a la Suikoden. I actually have 25 separate stories or 'sequels' for lack of a better term, but not made a single one.

I have a 5 subject notebook completely full of just video game clones and ideas that I have not coded a single one yet. No confidence in my abilities, so I always hesitate to make something. I am comfortable with helping people and fixing their code though.
I'd like to make a large open world game. Instead of focusing on SUPER HD PHOTOREALISTIC BLAST PROCESSING CLOUD CELL SPARSE VOXEL POINT CLOUD TREE DATA GRAPHICS, I'd focus on setting, atmosphere, lore, AI and gameplay mechanics, i.e. things that someone who can program and write, but can't draw or create sound effects and has no budget can actually do well, and things that actually make for an interesting game. The fact that people play Minecraft proves that not everyone wants to shove high-poly 3D ultraviolet bump-mapped 4k HD meshes up their arse for a few minutes while doing nothing other than holding W and the left-mouse-button and occasionally strafing from side-to-side while messages like "Press X to Win" pop up on the screen.
Last edited on
@chrisname

i dont think graphics matter to much if the game is great.

(however i wouldnt say minecraft is a great game not that you did either)
Paoletti301 wrote:
i dont think graphics matter to much if the game is great.

That's my hope, and also what I was getting at with the sarcastic use of industry-standard technologyTM ultra-buzz megawords(R).

(however i wouldnt say minecraft is a great game not that you did either)

I've never played it, it doesn't appeal to me.
Last edited on
speaking of buzzwords, "the cloud" is probably the one i hate the most
laughing at chrisname!!

@devonrevenge

concept art for your game sounds complex. You might try photoshop or gimp and do digital photo art. Splice together some scenes from maybe terminator and gears of war or stuff to capture the feel of your game.
Last edited on
closed account (N36fSL3A)
devonrevenge wrote:
maybe when you leave the boundaries the dark evil spririt like aliens come and you the screen goes wobbly and you wake up in a sunny feild hospital, infact thats how the game can start, no need for an explanation, like myst and riven.

wat

Also wtf is a bobby?
"wobbly" as in "something that is wobbling" as in "to wobble"
chrisname wrote:
The fact that people play Minecraft proves that not everyone wants to shove high-poly 3D ultraviolet bump-mapped 4k HD meshes up their arse for a few minutes while doing nothing other than holding W and the left-mouse-button and occasionally strafing from side-to-side while messages like "Press X to Win" pop up on the screen.

Then you remember people use Minecraft shaders for this.

Also devon is it supposed to be dark and burnt out?
Last edited on by Fredbill30
Fredbill30 wrote:
Then you remember people use Minecraft shaders for this.

Also devon is it supposed to be dark and burnt out?

Then you remember that you have to install the mod for Minecraft Shaders and not all users want to risk breaking their MC installation.

You can always tell new gamers from old ones. New gamers go on about Call of Duty and realistic graphics and the old gamers like me are perfectly happy with graphics of games like Atari Circus or Final Fantasy on the NES.
Those games were fun as hell. My uncle showed me them and I fell in love.

BTW COD is crap.
Fredbill30 wrote:
BTW COD is crap.

Could you elaborate on why it is crap? Any moron can say a game is crap.
The story sucks, and within 4 years the game is all filled with hacked servers.

I can pull a better story out of my rectum.

Don't forget that people think they're experts on war after they play.
Fredbill30 wrote:
The story sucks

Again, COD is a franchise and most of the stories take place in factual wars, but are fictional stories that try to explain how real events came about or make you feel like you helped shape the events and outcome of the war. COD MW is basically taking our shaky past with a few countries and having them invade the US. Sadly this scenario is realistic, remember 9/11?

Fredbill30 wrote:
Don't forget that people think they're experts on war after they play.

So, people act like they are gun experts after they play an FPS, I've ran into people that acted like alchemy experts after playing Skyrim and other games where you make potions. If they think that, then the game is doing its job.

Fredbill30 wrote:
I can pull a better story out of my rectum.

That is a mental image I didn't need.
Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
closed account (o1vk4iN6)
Could you elaborate on why it is crap? Any moron can say a game is crap.

The run and gun gameplay is suited to the deadbeat brain sapped people and mindless kids who play it. It literally requires no skill to play, people randomly throw knifes in the air at the start of the game to usually get a kill. Networking ? The last COD I played had terrible networking, when a host disconnects it would try finding a new host. It is just faster to disconnect (can't remember if you even can during that screen without turning off the box) and find another. Spawns ? The game is broken beyond belief in this regard. So many times someone literally spawns right in front of you and you just knife them in the back for an instant free kill. For something so easy to fix it really is sad to see it happen in a multimillion dollar game but hey we got fish AI ! Not to mention team spawning. I've had a person on the opposite team spawn right beside me right after I spawned. Graphics ? The game has been using the same engine for the last few games and it has barely made any advances, let alone any technical advances. Publisher ? The owner and publisher of the series, Activision has straight up said they do not want to publish games they can't sell every year and make a gain in profit from it. I cannot support such a mindset and I don't even know how so many people accept it, buying the same game every year. Story ? Who cares if it's factual or not, it's bad, boring and full of button mashing so players don't feel frustrated playing the game. If you've never played a game with good story I'd suggest the uncharted series and last of us. Both series have long single player modes with level design and story that doesn't make any of the 30+ hours it takes to complete boring. I'm sure I'm forgetting some points about COD and why it's crap. These are probably the main ones.

I've ran into people that acted like alchemy experts after playing Skyrim

If you mean discussing alchemy to someone else in regards to the confines of the game, I hardly see how this is relatable.

New gamers go on about Call of Duty and realistic graphics and the old gamers like me are perfectly happy with graphics of games like Atari Circus or Final Fantasy on the NES.

Neither of those games require you to be visually able to identify a target within a scene. Not really about realism either, in terms of realism COD still looks like shit compares to other games. Find it hard to play games that have an art style that makes the game not as fun to play or even frustrating. Reading yellow font on a white background, persay. Funny how NES is considered old by you, when there is something even older still. Games on consoles where the only graphics are the text you can print onto the screen.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
It literally requires no skill to play

... but i suck at COD...
Maybe because you have less than no skill? :P

Seriously, COD as no organization in multiplayer. No squads, regiments, etc. Everyone is their own leader. This is a good reason I hate it.
or maybe because ocarina of time doesnt translate well to COD?
or maybe because ocarina of time doesnt translate well to COD?

oh my god that would be fantastic

navi annoying you about disarming the nuclear bomb before soviet russia blows up the decu tree
clearing the water temple with an ak-47
Pages: 1234... 7