game idea anyone?

Pages: 1234567
closed account (o1vk4iN6)
Here's a good example of a button mashing game. It is basically the meaning, you press random button that have no meaning to perform a cutscene. It's also basically impossible to fail.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MfYuP6L44k#t=3m20s

No devil may cry and such aren't really button mashers as the order inwhich you press the buttons performs certain combos. The people that player games like that which you could coin the nickname button masher is just randomly pressing buttons on the controller hoping to hit one of the combos.

an interactive segment.

That's all that has to be said about that statement lol.

FPS are designed to be run and gun.

No they aren't, not even going to bother reading the rest of that paragraph. Play me Halo 1 and if you try your run and gun play style I will own you 100-0. What is designed to be run and gun is games like COD that are designed to bring in kids that play the same mindless game without getting bored.

First Person Shooters are normally run and gun and having a detailed story takes away from the run and gun. Also, the AI sole purpose is to shoot at you or duck and avoid your shots. If the AI was so good that you never hit them, what would be the point? All games have dumbed down AI, otherwise every game would be unbeatable as you could code it so they never get hit or rarely get hit, which again would take away from run and gun.

That's the point I don't want run and gun, it is terrible and it is by no means a design of FPS. Where did I say anything about AI ? Your conception of the correlation between good story and unbeatable AI is flawed. Demon/Dark soul is a good example of

I love all games as I'm a gamer. Yeah some games have flaws, but so do humans and like the saying goes

It's not one flaw, the entire thing is flawed. One big thing in a game is balance, if someone can rack up 10 kills then get a chopper and get an addition 30 kills to win the game that is too unbalanced to be enjoyed.

it is apparent that you have biased views on it

Aww trying to bring up that argument :P. Damn right I'm biased against glitchy, brainless run and gun gameplay, releasing the exact same game every year for the same price type of games. I'm biased against games where a 4 year old can pick up a controller and have no idea what he's doing and still be able to kill me - I am proud to say I am not a COD gamer.

Umm..... your joking right? Alchemy is real... it's called chemistry.
Umm... your joking right ? Alchemy is not the samething as chemistry. Though it maybe what lead to chemistry to be what it is today, the main principle of alchemy was trying to turn cheap metals into rare ones like gold. If you think it's real in the sense of what the game provide please make me a potion that increases my hp by 100.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Well I know how to fix cod. Make the whole game like hardcore, but make the damage a bit more realistic.

The little kids who play wont buy it again I'm certain of it.

Anyway, I like indie-ish games, and puzzle ones. Assassins Creed, stuff like castle story, minecraft, and I hate God of War. It's stupid. I played some and I hope it gets better the next game, but in the beginning I just don't want to play it anymore. I really don't hate the story, but I hate the gameplay.

I actually own many of the COD games, I play 'em when I'm bored but really don't like them. I'm not bad at it, I just don't like it.
@xerzi

It's not one flaw, the entire thing is flawed. One big thing in a game is balance, if someone can rack up 10 kills then get a chopper and get an addition 30 kills to win the game that is too unbalanced to be enjoyed.

How is the entire game flawed? Just because you don't like the game, doesn't mean it's flawed but either doesn't meet your standards in a game or is unenjoyable. I also don't understand how it is unbalanced by someone getting a chopper gunner. It's not like it stops you from getting any kills. You also can kill the person before he gets a kill streak.

Aww trying to bring up that argument :P. Damn right I'm biased against glitchy, brainless run and gun gameplay, releasing the exact same game every year for the same price type of games. I'm biased against games where a 4 year old can pick up a controller and have no idea what he's doing and still be able to kill me - I am proud to say I am not a COD gamer.

It's not an argument, it's the truth that you don't like call of duty games. You just have to understand that others do and not all of them think exactly like you do about the game.
As I said, guns need to do way more damage and people need less ammo. I guarantee people wont rambo and will hug walls for cover. Something like W&B Napoleonic Wars. That game is cool.
Last edited on by Fredbill30
@Fredbill30 I will say that a lot of people do take cover and apply cheap strategies to get kills, but not all people. What I mean by 'cheap' strategies is to camp and catch an enemy by surprise or use a weapon or attachment that angers people who use it.
EVERYBODY on COD rambos besides snipers and campers. They also jump off of 50 foot platforms and survive. Unrealistic AF.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Umm... your joking right ? Alchemy is not the samething as chemistry. Though it maybe what lead to chemistry to be what it is today, the main principle of alchemy was trying to turn cheap metals into rare ones like gold. If you think it's real in the sense of what the game provide please make me a potion that increases my hp by 100.

Chemistry is known as one of the many modern day Alchemy practices. You are confusing what you see in Games as being what alchemy really is, which is false. Alchemy has been in use for centuries and will still be in use for centuries from now. It might changes names but the basic principles will remain the same.

the main principle of alchemy was trying to turn cheap metals into rare ones like gold.

Again what you see in games is not always the truth. Alchemy can come in the form of mixing ingredients to form medicines (Which the ancient Chinese were famous for), to making gunpowder and in your example of metals there is the modern day metallurgy. Again it might not be called Alchemy but the basic principles behind it remain the same.

There is many forms of Alchemy in the modern world so yes it does still exist.

If you think it's real in the sense of what the game provide please make me a potion that increases my hp by 100

I won't even respond to this comment.
Last edited on
@xerzi
If ignorance is bliss, you must be blissfully retarded. That video is an exact example of an interactive segment. Button mashers was coined specially for games like Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, and applies to Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, X-Blades, and others. Yes they have combos, but you don't have to know the combos to win, just mash buttons and you will wipe out the hordes of enemies.

Halo is a run and gun too. Watch any Halo multiplayer video and you will see no one puts strategy to it.

Just because you redefined what button masher meant (wrongly I might add) doesn't mean the actual definition gets changed.
Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
@Thumper
If you don't care then why bother posting anything? When I don't care, I don't post. I guess I could just let him stay looking like a noob in regards to games.
@BHXSpecter
It was a joke that was supposed to voice my opinion that this is a meaningless argument :p
We can talk in circles about game terminology all day.
Last edited on
Well, you know jokes are lost on me :P.
We can talk in circles about game terminology all day.

Yeah we could....and should ;).
and maybe a pub in the middle of space, like in a different dimension, like limbo is just a quiet taverny pub in space.

Im going to learn open GL and make a space pub managment game
Last edited on
will your space pub sell cosmos . . . . .

get it :D
If ignorance is bliss, you must be blissfully retarded. That video is an exact example of an interactive segment. Button mashers was coined specially for games like Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, and applies to Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, X-Blades, and others. Yes they have combos, but you don't have to know the combos to win, just mash buttons and you will wipe out the hordes of enemies.

You can call it whatever you want, it's shit and that's that. Also name calling too bad you had to stoop so low.

Halo is a run and gun too.

Never said Halo, said Halo 1 and in Halo 1 if you have good positioning you will almost never die. Microsoft dwarfed the series into the mutant is now. Trying to milk it for cash like COD, it tries to take in the same crowd.

Just because you redefined what button masher meant (wrongly I might add) doesn't mean the actual definition gets changed.

It is slang and the two go hand in hand with the meaning of button masher so idk how I can redefine something that was never defined to begin with.

Whatever happened to you leaving ? Couldn't stay away uh :P.

I won't even respond to this comment.

If you don't know what the original argument was then you shouldn't have commented in the beginning. What I know of alchemy is what I read in history books at school so don't make assumptions thanks. Anyways I don't see people trying to turn lead into gold or create the philosopher's stone. Really could care less about discussing this further, games usually focus on the unrealistic (which is now known) side in any case. I'll be damned if I find the periodic table of elements in Skyrim :).
Last edited on
@xerzi

Never said Halo, said Halo 1

You technically did say "Halo" when saying "Halo 1" just saying.

If you don't know what the original argument was then you shouldn't have commented in the beginning

What's wrong with not responding to a comment? I'm not responding to the following comments:

You can call it whatever you want, it's shit and that's that. Also name calling too bad you had to stoop so low.

and in Halo 1 if you have good positioning you will almost never die. Microsoft dwarfed the series into the mutant is now. Trying to milk it for cash like COD, it tries to take in the same crowd.

It is slang and the two go hand in hand with the meaning of button masher so idk how I can redefine something that was never defined to begin with.

Whatever happened to you leaving ? Couldn't stay away uh :P.

Is it wrong that I didn't respond to these?
Last edited on
xerzi wrote:
if you have good positioning you will almost never die.

Camping. Camping isn't a strategy, camping is almost as annoying as a fighting game where your opponent spams the same special because they only know that one.
xerzi wrote:

The term has been defined since the days of Streets of Rage(1991). Heavy Rain is a game that uses what you are wrongly calling button mashing. You are referring to quick time events (been around since the 80s), which you have to press the button/key shown or you fail or get hurt. Button mashing is hitting random buttons quickly hoping to win. Two completely different methods with two completely different terms.
xerzi wrote:
Also name calling too bad you had to stoop so low.

In regards to you? I haven't stooped low enough.

Don't know the terms or how they apply and think camping is a good strategy. Damn you must be the shittiest gamer.
Camping. Camping isn't a strategy

Camping is actually bad positioning and bad strategy, anyone who knows what they are doing will just grenade the spot your camping.

Button mashing is hitting random buttons quickly hoping to win.

You can basically do that an win without fail. It's slang so what someone defined it 40 years ago, get with the times.

In regards to you? I haven't stooped low enough.

Doesn't matter in regards to who it is, it's childish and just shows you ran out of things to say but throw curses at some text on your screen.

Don't know the terms or how they apply and think camping is a good strategy. Damn you must be the shittiest gamer.

Your opinion and I don't care enough about you to care about your opinion. Though your opinion is based on your delusions so there's also that.

Again didn't you say you were leaving and never looking back :'(.
Last edited on
@xerzi

Though your opinion is based on your delusions so there's also that.

I could easily say your opinion is wrong and stupid, but guess what? It's an opinion! I hope you don't think his opinion is wrong/stupid because that would make you really sad if you really think everyone thinks the same exact way as you do.

If you don't like COD games, that's up to you. If you find someone who likes cod, don't shove your opinion down their throat, just say good for you. You might not like that style of game or have some other game you find way better, but doesn't mean everyone agrees with you on that.
xerzi wrote:
Your opinion and I don't care enough about you to care about your opinion. Though your opinion is based on your delusions so there's also that.

Then why do you keep replying? Apparently you care enough about my opinion and delusions to keep replying to something you don't care about. You also seem to be strangely fascinated with if I leave (again showing you care, but trying to look like you don't).

I'm not delusional. I found a game site that has the concepts defined.
Quick time event (what you showed in that video): http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-time-event/3015-6/
Button Mashing: http://www.giantbomb.com/button-mashing/3015-44/
Button mashing games can use QTE, but it is things like the MGS torture where you have to hit multiple buttons in quick succession to keep stamina up. The MK test your might minigame is another example of button mashing. If you do a search for button mashing games, you will find threads from 2010 to as lat as May of this year asking for button mashers but not to recommend Tekken, Soul Caliber, MK, or Street fighter.
Pages: 1234567