Linus Torvalds

As big an ass he is, I can't help but love his style.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/07/linus-torvalds-defends-his-right-to-shame-linux-kernel-developers/

edit: I should clarify, I don't agree with how he is carrying on. I just find it funny to watch.
Last edited on
I'll second that.
The dude's an ass.
But man I love it.

I agree with his views on "acting professional" though. I wish I had it in me to not give a fuck about anything I say to anyone to avoid doing petty things quietly behind their backs to get the frustration out. Unfortunately I'm not there yet (although I am actively trying).
He's a little like Larry David (maybe not in real life, but within Curb) in some ways.
Everything I've ever read about Linus makes him sound like a complete douche-bag. I have a really hard time mustering up any respect for him at all (I've tried).

Note the irony here:

Yes. And I do it partly (mostly) because it's who I am, and partly because I honestly despise being subtle or "nice".
[snip]
And please bring up "cultural sensitivity" while at it. And I'll give you back that same "cultural sensitivity". Please be sensitive to _my_ culture too.

I don't know if he just doesn't read the words he's writing... or if he's just really dense... but he clearly doesn't see that he disapproves of the very thing he does routinely.

He's repeatedly an asshole, then when someone with chops is an asshole back... he turns around and basically says "leave me alone, that's just who I am".

Don't give the shit if you can't take it, dickwad.

EDIT:

chrisname wrote:
He's a little like Larry David (maybe not in real life, but within Curb) in some ways.

The difference is that:

- Larry David in Curb is funny
- Curb isn't real life
Last edited on
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
Disch, try reading some of the things he says outside of media and rage topics. It's not a *complete* douche and he's productive.

He's strongly passionate about what he does which I can respect, I can sympathize.
I kind of agree with Torvalds that people are way too sensitive.
Favorite quote "I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended."
computerquip wrote:
Disch, try reading some of the things he says outside of media and rage topics. It's not a *complete* douche and he's productive.

He got in the game early. That's all it is.

He's hardly the savant he's built up to be. His negative personality far outweighs any talent he has.

If he wasn't already an established name, he would be unemployed. Nobody would hire that cancerous personality. Nobody would tolerate it.

There are plenty of programmers who are just as (or more) talented without being a dickhead to people regularly. Those are the people who get my respect.

People like Torvalds can fall off the face of the Earth as far as I'm concerned. We don't need him.

Lachlan Easton wrote:
Favorite quote "I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended."

That is a great quote for summarizing why I hate him. He's a social pod and doesn't understand people. Worse than that, he's an aggressive social pod with a chip on his shoulder. Fuck that.

I should add a disclaimer that I don't know him personally, so I might be totally off on his character. Though the numerous things I've read about him and quotes of his, it has just been confirmed repeatedly.

EDIT:

I just saw this:
Thumper wrote:
I agree with his views on "acting professional" though. I wish I had it in me to not give a fuck about anything I say to anyone to avoid doing petty things quietly behind their backs to get the frustration out. Unfortunately I'm not there yet (although I am actively trying).

No, see... that's a bad thing. You should care about what other people think. It's called being "social"

Disregarding people's feelings alienates them. If you alienate everyone around you, your life will be miserable.

You can effectively and efficiently say what you want to say to people while keeping their thoughts and opinions in mind. That is what you should be actively trying to do.
Last edited on
@Disch Have you seen any of his presentations? Such as Linus on Git or the Audience Q&A at Aalto(of which that quote is from)? I only ask because on paper Torvalds comes off as much more of a prick as you lose all hints of humor and sarcasm. That's not to say he isn't a prick.
If you link me to a sample video I will make the effort to watch it.

EDIT:

And to answer your question... no. I make it a point to avoid him.
Last edited on
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Don't give the shit if you can't take it, dickwad.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Linus_Torvalds

He just says what he wants. I think, personally, that's better than what I do and just tell people what they want to hear to make them happy. I adapt to people, people don't adapt to me. Torvalds just doesn't give a fuck either way and doesn't believe he should.

NOTE: I'm a little bit different on the internet than I am in real life (or rather, in text rather than in voice).
I'm with Disch here.

There's saying what you mean and want and not caring what people think...

and there's being an asocial dipwad about.

I can say I want something a certain way, and I won't accept it any other...

or I can throw a temper tantrum about it.

Torvalds is an unhappy, immature, loser. And normal, hard-working people don't want to hear him throw another hissy-fit about it, and avoid him.

Unfortunately, those who have an interest in Linux can't always stay out of his way. And also unfortunately, he will never "get it" because people like Linux too much, and so put-up with him.
@Disch, Duoas
I somewhat agree with you, with the addendum that we (or, at least, I) don't know what Finnish culture is like; maybe that's just how they are and it merely seems abrasive to us, but completely normal to them. I even agree with him and LB to a certain extent, that people are too easily offended, and that politeness often gets in the way of the truth. To that end I try to be honest with people, about myself and about themselves. Still, he goes way too far IMO.

Also, there are other "famous" programmers who are known for being hard to get along with. Theo de Raadt, of OpenBSD fame, is one example. Richard Stallman is known for just being weird and not liking children or spider plants. People with autism spectrum disorders tend to be attracted to solitary, intellectual hobbies like programming, and also tend to behave socially in ways that others find strange or difficult. Also, people who spend all of their time doing solitary hobbies tend to have had less practice socially, and intelligent people in general are often not the most socially adept due to isolation in childhood. I think you'll find there are a lot of very smart people who are very hard to get along with.

@computerquip
You're what's called a high self-monitor. I have kind of the opposite problem - I don't really think before I speak - but in both cases I think the solution is the same: speak more slowly and pause before responding to something. That gives you the time to consider whether you really mean what you say, and me the time to consider the consequences of what I'm going to say. Plus, that's what all the badass characters in video games do.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.