• Forum
  • Lounge
  • why create a game for a smart phone inst

why create a game for a smart phone instead of a computer game?

Pages: 12
ok i know this has nothing to do with c++ but a lot of people ask random questions here since its such a big community.
anyway i have a college project coming up and i wanted to create a gaming app for android.

I guess the first problem is I don’t know what kind of game. I’m completely new at creating games so having a bit of trouble thinking of ideas because it can’t be too complicated but still needs to be a good game.

Next question is what is the advantage of creating a game for a smart phone instead of just making it for the computer? Why would it be better to use a smart phone? For example I could use the GPS on the phone, computers can’t so that’s one good thing about smart phones..

hope ye can all help with this :)
It's just a much more exposed market to an independent developer.

You have a better chance at making more money on a smartphone game than most other mediums.
its not about making money. this is just a college project
Then the answer is make whatever suites your game idea best.

If you have an idea more suited to one platform, make it for that.

Otherwise, if you have a platform you want to work for, drum up an idea for it.

That last one can bite you on the arse. I decided to make a PS3 game as part of a university project once. Ended it getting a great grade for it but it was an absolute nightmare.
But why make a game for a smart phone and not for the computer?
What makes a game better if its on a phone?
Well look at the differences between the devices.

Smartphones are portable. Computers aren't as portable.
Smartphones tend to have touch input, computers tend to have keyboard/mouse/controller input.
Smartphone games are often geared to a more casual audience, computers generally are not.

There's nothing to say a game will be a better game for being on a certain platform. At least no solid rule. What you can say is some devices better suit some games. For example, Angry Birds, in my opinion, works better on a smartphone than a console because the way you control the catapult works better with touch input than controller input.
great thanks for the help.

now i just need to come up with an idea for a game.
i found this really good tutorial: http://www.kilobolt.com/
and i'm hoping maybe this will help me make a similar game.
you can see what people made from this tutorial in the showcase section.

problem is i don't know what these type of games are called i.e its not a virtual reality game or an RPG
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Personally I would steer away from RPG's for you first game. They can be some of the most complicated games to create because of all the pieces that need to go into them.

For first games I always would recommend going simple like a 2D asteroids type game (Probably one of the easiest to complete), or a simple puzzle game, or even just a pong clone. I see many people (I am one of them) that always choose to build a game way out of their league and end up never finishing it.

But also make it something you actually want to build or else you won't finish it. So basically it is a mix between choosing something in your skill level and something you actually want to make.

Ultimately the choice is up to you though.

Also I would like to note that C++ and smartphones don't really mix to well. Yes it is possible to make a game or app on a smartphone in C++ but I wouldn't recommend it really.
what about an arcade game? if that's the right name for this:
a game with a time limit, you try get the the highest score

not really sure what the game will involve yet but it will a short game
a simple run and jump style maybe?

i will making the game for android so it will be in java. I know this isn't a java forum but i have used this forum may times for my c++ problems and was hoping ye could help with this
closed account (N36fSL3A)
i will making the game for android so it will be in java. I know this isn't a java forum but i have used this forum may times for my c++ problems and was hoping ye could help with this
I honestly don't even know what this forum is, it claims to be C++, but Java questions get answered aswell.
well i am not really asking questions about java. more about game development in general
I'm in the middle of some Android game development right now. I'd be happy to help out on any Java issues where I can.
thanks for the offer iHutch105

so what do you think about the simple arcade game?
what about an arcade game? if that's the right name for this:
a game with a time limit, you try get the the highest score

Arcade games are probably some of the simplest games to build (Of course this varies depending on how much scale your game has).

not really sure what the game will involve yet but it will a short game
a simple run and jump style maybe?

I am sure you will have no problems with a game like that. Your biggest obstacles will probably be the physics of getting the player to jump correctly and your collision detection (I would recommend starting out with simple Circle to Circle or Rectangle to Rectangle detection first then if you want more move on to more advanced techniques. Here is a tutorial on Circle to Circle http://gamedev.tutsplus.com/tutorials/implementation/when-worlds-collide-simulating-circle-circle-collisions/). But other then that platform games can be quite beginner friendly just don't go over board ;p. Remember build something small like a very simple working version of your game. Then start adding on little pieces and features here and there.

There is quite a few people here that can help out with Java code so feel free to post it in the lounge I am sure no one would care.

Fredbill30 wrote:
I honestly don't even know what this forum is, it claims to be C++, but Java questions get answered aswell.

It's a forum about programming and helping people program. Programming doesn't just revolve around one language you know.
Last edited on
great thanks for all the help. I have a better understand about game development now :)

question about scores:
if i wanted to create a leader board feature, how would i do that?
i know i would need to create a database online.

do you think creating an account for the game is a good idea or just entering your name at the end?
Personally I would skip over all that for right now. Just get you basic game up and running first. Don't concentrate on all those extra features like leader boards or creating online accounts or even multiplayer just yet.
Last edited on
i know i will create the game first, then add extra features.
i just thought i would ask about the best way to do it now while the post is still new

Since all andriod phones are connected to a google account I believe it wouldnt be that hard to give the player the option to login to poat high scores I don't think. Google/Andriod might even provide you with tools to help with that I believe though I am not familiar with the mobile platforms.
Last edited on
I think the idea is fine; the simpler the better. Keep the scores local for now.
i know i shouldn't worry about extra features, but since this is a college project i have to write out all my ideas for the game before i start programming it
Pages: 12