• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Should a 13 year old be learning about 3

Should a 13 year old be learning about 3D mathematics?

Pages: 123... 5
I am 13 years old and I have been programming c++ for 4 years now. I started learning about game development about a year ago and now I am reading up on OpenGL and mathematics for 3D programming. Now some of the concepts I'm learning I can get, but others are a little difficult to understand.

What do you guys think about me learning 3D mathematics?

Should I work on something else before I move on?
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Well yea, 3d math shouldn't hurt. It's actually quite simple once you get the hang of it, this is coming from someone near your age group(12).
closed account (jwkNwA7f)
Yes, I think learning anything that will benefit to your programming skills is great. I am also your age, 13.
Learn whatever you want, really. Especially when you're young.
Fredbill30 wrote:
It's actually quite simple...
Maybe we have different definitions of 3D mathematics, I think multi-variable calculus which I personally don't consider simple.

@OP
If you can understand the material than go for it.
I meant *simple*.

No math is really hard once you know the formulas. I just focus on those and plug numbers in.

We must have a different mental way of handling problems.

Don't forget the PC really does the work for you. You shouldn't focus on hardcoding values in if you can have your machine do it.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
No math is really hard once you know the formulas

thats not true. math can be extremely difficult.
Nope. Once you know formulas just plug numbers in. Complex != Difficult.
thats not learning it. thats letting someone do the work for you. its not making math easier
How is that letting someone do the work for you? You have a formula, you then plug in numbers.
thats not learning it. thats letting someone do the work for you. its not making math easier

my thoughts exactly.

as to the OP. id say try to learn it if you can, if not then thats fine too. but if you do try and learn it, dont just copy the formulas like fred, take the time to understand why the formula works in depth.

Copying formulas? Who said that? I learn them from my teacher.

You're saying it's wrong to find the area with the A*W formula and its right to count every unit? That's just inefficient.

When my math teacher teaches me math he explains each in detail.
a) i never said that.
b) math has much more complicated formulas than a*h and while im all for using the computer to solve them, its not learning math. there is so much more than memorizing formulas. and it is not at all easy the higher you get.
No, I program the formulas in the program and plug in variables.

That's like you using if statements to determine what a character's health is (assuming the max is 100).
Last edited on by Fredbill30
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
Fredbill30, put it like this okay... there are sorting algorithms that I have serious difficult in implementing even though I have a blueprint in front of my face and a so called formula. Try and do a few sorting algorithms yourself to see if it's as simple as you claim it to be.

PS. I don't mean bubble sort.

EDIT: As to OP,
Knowledge is rated E for Everyone.
Last edited on
No, I program the formulas in the program and plug in variables.

exactly my point. i could know nothing about math and find the formula i need and program it in. thats not learning it. before you say "I do learn them though" learning formulas is not all math is, even though your 12 years of mathematical experience may differ. there are laws, rules, branches, formulas, functions, graphs, variables, problem solving, design
Fredbill30, put it like this okay... there are sorting algorithms that I have serious difficult in implementing even though I have a blueprint in front of my face and a so called formula. Try and do a few sorting algorithms yourself to see if it's as simple as you claim it to be.

i was watching some of the college course videos major colleges post online.

i was amazed how much math goes into analyzing something as simple as bubble sort.
I write the algorithms myself. Then you just plug in numbers.

computerquip I said "basic"
the math you are talking about is extremely basic algebra which is mainly just memorizing formulas, but taking even the next small step requires more than memorizing that. i tried to do that when i learning probability. nPr still haunts every 6! nightmare of mine...
Nope. Once you know formulas just plug numbers in. Complex != Difficult.

Here is a sample problem from my multivariable calculous homework. Lets see how long it takes you to post the correct solution.

Let n be the outer unit normal of the elliptical shell

S: 4x^2 + 9y^2 + 36z^2 = 36 , z >= 0

and let F = yi + x^2j + (x^2 + y^4) ^(3/2)sine^((x*y*z)^1/2))k

Find the value of the integral of, dell cross F dot n, over S.

(hint: one parametrization of the ellipse at the base of the shell is x = 3cost, y = 2sint, 0 <= t <= 2PI)

Last edited on
Pages: 123... 5