Should a 13 year old be learning about 3D mathematics?

Pages: 12345
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Wow... the lounge really is turning to hell. I mean there has always been off topic conversations but now... Just wow...
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
is what i said wrong?
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I'm just going to stop trying.
Math is not just a matter of memorizing formulas. The way math teaches you seems that way, but it isn't. You are given the formulas, but you are then taught the rules that apply to each formula and then given practice problems to help you solidify what you have been taught and know what types of problems they go to. This is also why you are given story problems too (which I admit I suck at) to help solidify the type of problems they apply to. 'Custom formulas' are just the original formula that you tweak according to rules to make them solve for a given variable.

If it was just about memorizing formulas then you should never fail a math class.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
I don't care if you state an opinion, I care when you spout fallacious arguments or falsities.

Also, claiming an opinion which is backed without experience, knowledge, or even hearsay, I don't see how you can even call it an opinion (sadly, this sounds like every single person who discusses politics :/).

Fredbill30 wrote:
I don't think I was ever "spoon fed" in school.
Fredbill30 wrote:
Once you know formulas just plug numbers in.

When I got into high school, I realized how much "spoon feeding" I received in previous grades. Luckily the teachers at my high school actually attempted to help us understand the subjects. I'm not sure if I can attest to critical thinking however.

Anyway, as you get into higher levels of mathematics, you'll start to realize that memorizing every single darn formula is just not very feasible. As many of my math professors would say (and I hold this true for myself), it is easier to learn how to derive the formulas. For example, I don't even both with remembering all the basic trigonomic formulae. I just remember: sin2(x) + cos2(x) = 1, sin(2x) = 2*sin(x)cos(x), and cos(2x) = cos2(x) - sin2(x); and I'm good to go with the other derivations like: tan2(x) + 1 = sec2(x) and sin2(x/2) = (1 - cos(x))/2.
Plus, by knowing how to derive formulas you need, you can check to make sure your work is correct (as I often do).

@OP
Like others have said, go for it. I suggest doing plenty of practice problems, so that information remains ingrained in your mind.
I wrote:
I'm just going to stop trying.
It's really no use arguing anymore if I said I admit defeat.
It's really no use arguing anymore if I said I admit defeat.

You said you admitted defeat, but didn't say that you agreed with the points other people were making. Since what you said about math is wrong, whether or not you've decided to give up arguing, there is a purpose to other people trying to convince you that you're incorrect.

Anyhow, at a certain point in math there stop being general formulas that solve massive classes of problems, and you usually end up having to modify or create your own to answer problems, so learning how to create formulas is a far more valuable skill than learning to just apply them (which anyone can do). This can often be difficult (it's what makes a lot of applied math difficult), so saying that you can just "learn the formula to solve the problem" and then plug and chug until you get an answer is completely wrong on non-trivial problems.
I meant using formulas you create. I didn't mean you just steal peoples formulas and plug in numbers. You guys took it the wrong way.
Fredbill30 wrote:
I meant using formulas you create
Chiming in pretty late here
1.) Not everything evaluates to a formula.
2.) Creating those formulas is 99.999% This isn't a solid statisticof mathematics. So your plug and chug point is moot. That's like saying that building an automobile from scratch is as simple as learning the parts then putting them together.

EDIT:
This pretty much sums up how I feel about math high school math:
http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=math
I thought some of you might get a kick out of it.
Last edited on
@OP , IMO you can learn 3d mathematics , i think you mean 3d vectors and not multi variable calculus , if so start with 2d vectors and then go for 3d.
2d is easier to imagine so you get it up quickly then start with 3d.

EDIT : i removed my comment on fredbill30 , realised i should let go that debate.
Last edited on
So I wasn't going to read this thread.

But I decided to.

Now I regret it.

wtf
is it that threads arnt usefull they are just inane chatting instead that makes a thread horrible for you guys?

Im not sure if I know what a thread is supposed to be like, its as though i dont understand forum etiquette, I would like to know more about this.

My problem with dream in code was that I had no idea what i was doing wrong if i was making an effort not to be rude or flood the place.
I noticed on dream in code they call people D.I.C heads quite a bit.
Fredbill30 wrote:
I noticed on dream in code they call people D.I.C heads quite a bit.

That was a pathetic joke.
Not joking, they actually do.
D.I.C. heads is a compliment over there. Dream In Code head means you are one of the more advanced users and know what you are talking about.

Could also mean they are part of the company running DreamInCode and they are one of the head members.
Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
Wow. I totally took that the wrong way BHX.

I wouldn't want to be called a D.I.C head tho.
I'm fairly sure its a level given to members with low rep.
Sarcasm?
Pages: 12345