What age did you start programming

Pages: 123... 5
closed account (jwkNwA7f)
Just curious.

I started when I was 12.
I was 12
I honestly can't remember.

Obviously wouldn't use it to rate anyone, since each person who starts at a 'normal' age may well be much better at programming than someone who started way before then, etc.

If anything the most impressive ages to start programming are probably the older ages, since by then you're supposed to find it much harder to learn new things. Although that never stopped half my professors...
closed account (jwkNwA7f)
I wasn't using this to rate anyone I was just curious when others started programming.
I started around when I was 11.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I don't understand how you've been programming C++ for 4 years and started when you were 12 though.

I started at 9. I started C++ at 11.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
I started at around 12, started with UnrealScript, Java, and PASCAL, and then moved up to C++ about 4 years afterwards. Unfortunately, it truly took me awhile to grasp anything about low-level programming... I think I have some posts on this forum that started around the time I started to grasp the concepts.

I still don't understand assembly outside of basics and obvious functionality. :/
Actually, it's the other way around with me computerquip. Higher level langs confuse me. I guess that's a mistake for learning C++ as your first non-scripting lang.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
To be quite fair, I claimed in another post that I was "fluent" in PASCAL but I was never as fluent in PASCAL as I am now in C or C++ or any language for that matter.

I must say, it's truly because I learned C. It seems that most languages have some derivative of C and I can generally relate to it. If I can't, it seems strange but I can generally still grasp in almost no time. For instance, learning Python took me about a day to start writing fluent daemon scripts and server-side website logic. With Perl... well, not Perl... perl is just... wrong... but I used D which was a direct C/++ derivative. Google Go and Rust are both C derivatives. Almost every major language now adays is atached to C in some way via syntax.
Ya, I noticed that too. The day I see another original languages as fast as C/++ I will be able to die in peace.
cppprogrammer297 wrote:
...I was just curious when others started programming.

Don't mind me connecting two threads together.
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/102313/
There's like 5 million of these.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
The day I see another original languages as fast as C/++ I will be able to die in peace

assembly.

most languages have some derivative of C and I can generally relate to it. If I can't, it seems strange but I can generally still grasp in almost no time. For instance, learning Python took me about a day

told you fred. python has a c flavor

With Perl... well, not Perl... perl is just... wrong

@computerquip: i thought perl kind of looked like an interpreted c. i have never written code in it so it was just an assumption. is that wrong then?

Google Go

made me shudder, or in Go!:
shudder me made
No it doesn't Python is nothing like C. It might have some things similar but has a different feel overall.

assembly.
Obviously it was made before.
yes it is like c
Ive sorta been doing it on and off, started around 9 or 10.

im just now really getting into programming
Obviously it was made before.

in the post i was referring to:
Ya, I noticed that too. The day I see another original languages as fast as C/++ I will be able to die in peace.

it says no where that it had to be made before c.

edit: and if you write php code right it can be fast. ive done it before and im doing it currently
Last edited on
and if you write php code right it can be fast. ive done it before and im doing it currently
write a copy of openGL in it.

it says no where that it had to be made before c
I know I didn't say that, but let's say that now.
you can say that now but that doesnt change the fact that you didnt before.

write a copy of openGL in it.

my god are we going through this again?? php doesnt need to use opengl because its not meant for that. IT IS WEB BASED. i write it for the side the client doesnt see. if im using an opengl php library then i want all of you to find my house and tar me (and not in the compression way either).
I know. Well then stop saying php is fast compared to C++.

you can say that now but that doesnt change the fact that you didnt before.
Ok.
Pages: 123... 5