What age did you start programming

Pages: 12345
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
K, look.

Languages do not have concepts of speed. C++ is not faster than C. C++ is not faster than Assembly, Python, BrainF$#k, <insert language here>. Anyone language that was made with half a brain would refuse to require speed in their languages since it cannot determine the environment it might eventually be used in.

write a copy of openGL in it

While it may be stupid to do so, as long as PHP is provided an interface to the OS facilities that govern that specific hardware, this is perfectly possible. It's clearly not meant to do so.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Never said that.

C++ is not faster than C.
In some cases it is, in some cases it isn't.

Not that C++ is the best language in the world but really, people keep saying stuff like <insert scripting language made in c/++> is faster than C/++.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
Well then stop saying php is fast compared to C++

i wont stop saying it because as computerquip pointed out, its true. the issue you have here is that your trying to compare a c++ project with the same php project, which is like ridiculous.
i wont stop saying it because as computerquip pointed out, its true.
I'm just going to stop talking to you. You say php is faster, then you say it's not. wtf.

PHP is written in C. There's *NO* way it can be faster. That's the reason Java is slower than C/++ because the interpreter is usually written in them.
Last edited on by Fredbill30
i never said it was faster than c. i said i wrote fast php code. the reason java is slower is because the .class is a byte code file, not a .exe byte code is slower than binary. java isnt slower because its written in c/c++

edit: and i never said it was faster or slower in general. it depends on what you want to do. i said php would be slower if you used a php-written opengl library, not that it was slower in general
Last edited on
Well I interpreted it that way.

No, the reason Java is slower is because the interpreter is written in C/++ usually.
no its not actually. that would make no sense. the language is just the medium to get it into machine readable format. unless the compilers not optimizing it right, that wouldnt matter. its what javas compiled down to is what makes it generally slower

edit: and i dont see how you could have gotten that i said it was slower or faster... i didnt imply that generally one is quicker anywhere in my posts...
Last edited on
But what's the interpreter written in? C. That's why is slower. It's a combo.

However you can't get that into Java fanboy's heads. They have the mindset that Java's faster than C apps when the very interpreter is programmed in C. That's why it's useless talking to them. It's a waste of energy to open your mouth(or type words) to do that. Plain and simple.
Fredbill30. Get. This. Through. Your. head. The fact that its written in c doesnt matter. its what its compiled down to. (before anyone freaks i know that its not just that im just trying to explain that the fact java is written in c/c++ doesnt make it slower)
Dude. you're making me type in caps.

IT DOES INDEED MAKE IT SLOWER. THAT'S LIKE SAYING C CAN BE FASTER THAN ASSEMBLY EVEN THOUGH IT'S WRITTEN IN IT.

AS SAID BEFORE, ITS A COMBO.

Think about it. It doesn't make sense for a language to be faster than a language is written it.

Assembly will never be as fast as machine code. Never.
it is not. tell me where are you getting your information. becuase i am getting mine from college/teacher-edition text books. writing it in c wont make it go slower. by your logic, brainfuck goes slower than c too. oh wait i tested that and my bf script (while longer to write) was faster. thats because its not being interpreted by a script, like jquery is, its being read by a compiled exe, which is optimized. it could be written in obj-c and it wouldnt have mattered (again to everyone else see my last sentence above)
Kind of getting what you're talking about here.

Nevertheless. You mean that it's the same because it's all compiled into machine code.

But, not entirely right. An assembly programmer is usually much more efficient at handling resources than a C compiler, so it'd be better.

See what I mean now?
thats different. thats going with the assumption that assembly programmers write better code than c++ programmers (im not saying its true or false). i could write a better c++ file than an assembly programmer (again all assembly guys could be better than me this is just a what if). it doesnt matter in this case that java is written in whatever its written in. it matters that the end product is in byte code instead of an exe
thats different. thats going with the assumption that assembly programmers write better code than c++ programmers (im not saying its true or false).
C/++ compilers*
are you correcting my quote? because i didnt mean that. i meant what i said. assemblers dont neccesarily generate better .com files than .exe files. it depends on the skill of the person who wrote the compiler/assembler and the person who wrote the source file
Usually*

And DTS, not much you can do as a C++ programmer if the compiler is poorly written.
i know that. thats why i wrote the above post
Ok. I stated that's another reason Java is slower than C/++.
however, since it was written at sun microsystems im going to assume its compiled with the gcc on linux, in which case it isnt a poorly written compiler so its not actually another reason
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
I will iterate again....

When you refer to C++, you're referring to the language. It has nothing to do with the implementation of the language. If you want to refer to the implementation, choose one of the many implementations but don't call it C++ if what you claim C++ is capable of isn't even in the standard.

In some cases it is, in some cases it isn't.

No, in no point in time is the language C++ defined to be faster than C. Python is not meant to be faster or slower than C/C++ or any of its competitors, it only cares about syntax.

PS. How old is this forum? Still doesn't have nested quotes?

You can state an opinion but you're stating falsities and I really don't appreciate it.
Last edited on
Pages: 12345