What age did you start programming

Pages: 12345
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
sorry, i should have made my statement more clear like when i oringinally said it. he knows the language itself, but not everything made in it or pertaining to it
I started programming when I got to grade 12...so around 17
I started programming at the age of 12. It would have been 10, I could have afforded a machine sooner than that.

I'm 32, btw.
closed account (1v5E3TCk)
I started programming(learning c++) nearly 2 months ago and I'm 16
I started in high school sophmore year. Learned basics of HTML, CSS, Javascript, through W3schools. Eventually decided to study computer science for college and got exposed to stuff like DarkGDK, C++, and etc...
closed account (jwkNwA7f)
I also learned HTML, CSS, and Javascript through W3schools.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
A bit off topic but Bjorne very well might not know all of C++ because of how standards are adapted into C++. They are not all by Bjorne.
closed account (jwkNwA7f)
I agree with computerquip:
A bit off topic but Bjorne very well might not know all of C++ because of how standards are adapted into C++. They are not all by Bjorne.

I don't have time to argue with you about C++ v Java. Not even going to talk about it.

Considering your lack of knowledge of C++ and Java - right choice. ;)
I 100% support the unedited post above mine.
When the "new" icon appeared on this thread in my browser I jumped to this (last) page first, read rapidcoder's post and was like, "Yep, i'm going to read this entire thread :D." Yes, I actually smiled.
I can now say that I 100% support the unedited post two above mine.

on-topic: I was 13 when I started programming.

EDIT: spelling
Last edited on
closed account (N36fSL3A)
No, I'm not going to argue with your rapid coder because you're have some weird illusion that Java is somehow faster than C++, and no matter how many arguments we bring you don't care, It's like trying to break through a reinforced concrete wall with a trebuchet.

I don't want to argue because it's a waste of energy.
I don't want to argue because it's a waste of energy.
It's a waste of energy because every piece of evidence you supplied has been wrong, or misinformed in some way. I don't necessarily agree with rapidcoder's headstrong feelings about Java. I never disagree with him though because I simply don't know enough about it to ever prove myself right. I'd just make myself look like a fool. But I digress.
Fredbill30 wrote:
no matter how many arguments we bring you don't care, It's like trying to break through a reinforced concrete wall with a trebuchet.

Hypocritical much?
Alright, I'll take that. I just realized this too.

However, if I did take more time to research, it wouldn't make a difference in the end. That's why I don't try to argue with him.
Fredbill30 wrote:
No, I'm not going to argue with [you] rapid coder because [you] have some weird [delusion] that Java is somehow faster than C++, [...]
It's not an illusion or delusion, in some cases Java is faster than C++. It's entirely situational though.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
Plus the whole point is that Java and C++ has no concept of speed, so as far as semantics are concerned, you're false. It isn't an argument.
Last edited on
Fredbill, man, what's wrong? You are trying to prove to everyone(well, prove without proofs, whatever), that C++ is the fastest and best language ever. It's simply stupid and wrong in many ways. First of all - there isn't something like "best language". It depends on task, and arguing over which language is best(and why it's C++) is simply stupid. This thread looks like some folks who like different religions came here and started arguing which god and religion is better. There is no better.

You want to write facebook game, you may use flash. You want to make some forum, you may use php. You want to write game on PC, you may use C++. But again, these language may fit, but you don't have to use them. You are the programmer - language is only the tool. If you are good enough, tools don't matter at all. If you are bad programmer, even the fastest language won't help.

The Binding of Isaac and The Basement Collection runs on Flash. Is it worse because it runs on Flash? I don't think so - I played BoI a lot and I like this game.
Minecraft is using Java, and again, this game isn't bad(well, it earned muuuuuch money, right? :) ).

Arguing over languages is like arguing over colours. Somebody may prefer other colour then I, and it's completely okay. There are many programming languages in the world, and we shouldn't only learn/use one language :)
best language ever.
And I said that was a fact when?

BHXSpectator wrote:
Hypocritical much?
Yea. :)
Last edited on by Fredbill30
Matt wrote:
The Binding of Isaac and The Basement Collection runs on Flash. Is it worse because it runs on Flash? I don't think so - I played BoI a lot and I like this game.
Minecraft is using Java, and again, this game isn't ba

actually making binding of issac in flash was a bad mistake, flash couldnt handle massive amounts of objects and bullets on screen at the same time.
thats why rebirth will be in c++ ( thats from an interview i watched with ed )

minecraft is pretty notorious for not being the best built game.
Pages: 12345