What's with the age topics?

I always see "Should I be doing " x "when I'm only" y "years old".

Or "Why do people give me crap for being a " x "year old programmer?"

Seriously, most of the guys on here don't care if your 11 or 78. As long as you have a proper behavior on here nobody will mind. Who cares if you're only 14 and want to learn C++ with Wxwidgets or whatever. If I had a son smart enough to learn Calculus when he was 9, I'd let him go right for it, help him out if he needed it. This forum isn't like your teachers at school. If you think you can do it, then go ahead, is what a lot of us think. We're not going to say "Oh no, I think you should wait till you're a little older to do that honey"

My teacher was never friendly about I myself doing programming, and was skeptical that I could do anything in it. (What was dumb is she only knew webcoding in Dreamweaver, not exactly programming) I went ahead and kept self-teaching myself anyways, put the code in front of her damn face, and showed her she was wrong. Now she's letting me spend some time programming in her class along with a robotics kit!

Quit worrying about how old you are, just do what you're capable of.
I think I have to agree. If you want to do it, then try. If you fail you can only learn.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
While age should not be a barrier; it is probably good that the younger members make enquiries as this can lead to them being told about potential deficiencies in their current level of education.
closed account (jwkNwA7f)
I also agree.
I agree too. Though, it seems to only be the kids that are worried about their ages.
While age should not be a barrier; it is probably good that the younger members make enquiries as this can lead to them being told about potential deficiencies in their current level of education.

Well, I'd format my question a bit differently. I.e "Should I be attempting" x "when I don't know any linear algebra"
closed account (o1vk4iN6)
Odds are you don't know what linear algebra is when your still in elementary school. If you know what linear algebra is odds are you also know if you can do "x".
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.