whats the status of the c++ monthly competition idea guys??

Pages: 1... 345
If anyone is interested, this is how polls will look like: http://sandbox.cplusplus.com/forum/competitions/
But writing the game would involve generating puzzles, wouldn't it? And how about a puzzle solver?
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
@Null: did you make that? if so, how do you upload to sandbox?
abhishekm71 wrote:
But writing the game would involve generating puzzles, wouldn't it?

There are sample puzzles around. I'm sure I could dig a couple up.

Really to show off your program you'd only have to develop maybe 4 or 5... and they could all be simple.

Maybe we'd have to add a requirement that puzzles have to be loaded externally. Then the compo itself could have the puzzle files and your version of the game would have to load and play them.

Puzzles could be just text files. For example, the puzzle on the Wikipedia page could be:

#####
###   #
#.@X  #
### X.#
#.##X #
# # . ##
#X OXX.#
#   .  #
######## 

And how about a puzzle solver?

That'd be an option for a compo too... although writing a Sokoban solver is significantly more difficult than writing a Sokoban implementation.
Yes a solver would certainly be very difficult (and bug-prone) to write. However generating random puzzles may be fun to code.
That could be an extra feature people could code into their program ;)

But even that would be extremely tricky. It's really hard to make a good sokoban puzzle that can actually be solved. It might even be harder than writing a solver.
@DTSCode: We had the login informations from Twicker
ah ok
Speaking of sokoban, the Talesworth Adventure is based on a fun little variant:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/594773
@DTSCode: We had the login informations from Twicker

Say what?

Edit: never mind, I was confused paranoid for a brief moment.
Last edited on
i say if someone can make a fully functional sokoban puzzle in bf they win automatically
@DTSCode
It's a C++ competition.
i was making a joke.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 1... 345