windows, mac, or linux?

Pages: 123... 6
which one do you prefer?
Windows for gaming and Linux for programming.
Same as chrisname. Windows == Gaming && Linux == Programming but never used a Mac, but would say for programming, art, and sound/music on that one.
I'm going to say Windows for gaming Linux for programming, 'cause I'm different/cool like that yo'.
I've done some development for ios recently (more or less against my will), I can honestly say that the experience has not been enjoyable (and that's putting aside the fact that the Apple developer network has been down for the past few weeks)
I use both windows and linux for programming.

Most of the CS professors I see in videos have Macs. Maybe the schools buy them? I could not afford one, and hate the fact that they are so difficult and expensive to get fixed. It would be nice to be able to legitimately run linux, mac and windows on one machine though.
It would be nice to be able to legitimately run linux, mac and windows on one machine though.

Me too, but I think Apple has actually made it so if it isn't their hardware detected the OS will quit working. I don't know how much truth is behind this and it could very well be just a rumor.
BHXSpecter wrote:
I don't know how much truth is behind this

Do you mean like running OS X on a non-Mac machine? Yeah, there'll be major issues that way.

They have a purpose built utility, Boot Camp, for installing Windows on Mac, though. With a little more effort, you can triple boot all three.

Windows for gaming and all three for programming, depending on what I'm doing. If I'm programming for Android or iOS then it's Mac. If I'm at work then it's Unix. Anything else falls into Windows.
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
which one do you prefer?
Mac OS...then Windows...and finally Linux (Linux has its uses but I really can't get on with it as a desktop OS).
Grey Wolf wrote:
Linux has its uses but I really can't get on with it as a desktop OS).

Plus you have Terminal on Mac for all that Unix command goodness.
Hackintosh for surfin the webz and listening to music. windows for games. Linux for programming. With a fast SSD drive, multi-booting these things is almost seamless. Almost.
BHXSpecter wrote:
I think Apple has actually made it so if it isn't their hardware detected the OS will quit working.
That's a rumor (at least the last I checked). You can get OS x running on a non apple machine but it's a complete pain in the ass and not worth it imo.
www.hackintosh.com has a lot of information about it.

htirwin wrote:
I could not afford one, and hate the fact that they are so difficult and expensive to get fixed.
They are expensive. But they're expensive because they're quality. Apple computers seldom break on their own (with the exception of hdd failure). Most of the time they fail is because the user breaks it, which I think is ridiculous -- If you're not prepared to take extreme care of something that costs 2 grand, don't buy it in the first place. I know accidents happen and stuff. But c'mon :p

On topic though:
I prefer OS x and Linux when programming. Windows for gaming and stuff that doesn't involve me moving my computer around (i run Windows on my desktop).
closed account (jwkNwA7f)
I like OS X the best. To get it you have to buy a Mac, but that is good because they can watch closely at how their OS works on all of the computers it is on. They are a little expensive, but it is worth it. They are great quality. It is good for audio, photo and video editing, and art. They are also used to program for iOS using xcode. Although, you do have to pay $99 per year to program for it with the Mac developer program.

For programming, Windows. It offers a wide variety of computers to choose from. You can program for it in many programming languages. It is extremely customizable. Windows has the most software that supports it. It is free to program for Windows. There is a large variety of compilers unlike only xcode for Macs.

As for Linux, I have never used Linux, so I don't know much about it.
Last edited on
Thumper, they are not expensive due to their quality. They are expensive because people are willing to pay out the ass for it. You are largely paying for a logo and some nice aluminum housing. You get the advantage of having a controlled platform for the developers to micro optimize the hell out of, but to suggest the markup in price is purely for the sake of higher quality is ludicrous.

As for it not being worth building a hackintosh and it being a pain in the ass. I got mine up and running in the same amount of time it takes me to install winodws or linux. No issues to date.
Last edited on
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
Windows for Gaming, Linux for Programming and OS X for photograph/picture editing and video editing.. The good thing about OSX and linux is that there are no viruses (A few but hardly u will get infected)..I am using Ubuntu 12.04 now and i suggest u use it to if ur new to linux like me..i dual boot with Windows and Ubuntu :D

@Thunper

I agree.u can get OS X on ur pc/hackintosh ...i tried it but u need good hardware ...on my laptop my mouse wasnt working once i booted up and pc ..i havnt tried now but last time a tried i had PS2 keyboard and mouse and it wouldnt work..but now i got Usb ones
Last edited on
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
The good thing about OSX and linux is that there are no viruses
thats not true. there are many viruses out there. the difference is that ive found people who arent super tech savvy to be on windows more often that not, so they see ads like free pc repair or see whos been spying on you and click it and download whatever it tells them to

edit: that doesnt mean that everyone who uses windows isnt tech savvy. i know plenty of people who know their way around a computer that use windows. bajarne stroustrop uses windows. its just linux/osx generally take a little bit more understanding imo
Last edited on
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
Linux for gaming, programming, doing my dishes, and giving me backrubs. <3 Linux.
What I actually do:
Programming in Windows (work), gaming in Linux (home)

Does wine really count as Linux though?

its a linux program
The reason it seems there are no viruses for OSX and Linux is because you have the root account and the user account. Viruses can't get to your important system files without root access, which is why they tell you never to use your computer as root. I only use sudo when installing from the repository or installing Allegro/SDL/SFML after compiling it.

While Windows users usually use their administration account as their normal user account (bad idea). Got to do Windows how you do Linux, have a lower priv account to use other than admin account.
Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
a virus doesnt neccesarily need root access to wreak havock. i found this one called student data that injected everything with code that when you clicked it it just shut down the os
Pages: 123... 6