Who here has a job as a programmer

Pages: 12
Just curious
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
Ruby on Rails developer checking in.
C++ developer checking in. I think quite a few people here have jobs, actually.
I quit looking for a job in programming. Just a hobby for me now.
Video game programmer checking in... Um... I use a few different languages.
C++/C#/Python here.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
I'm not sure what I want to do... I originally started C++ for the intention of a career but grew more into a hobby than a job interest. I would certainly hate having something I love to do being twisted into something I hate.
Given my background no one's ready to employ me, hence I have decided to build my own application(s) in C++, gain some experience and then hopefully after a boatload of failed applications, I may create something useful enough.
C++/Perl/SQL over here.

Well, for the next few hours at least. Then it's on to pastures new.
I've been doing programming for 17 years. I hold a Bachelor of Science in Game and Simulation Programming from DeVry University. I have applied at companies and been told I am not experienced enough. After two years of rejections I just went to doing it as a hobby.
closed account (iw0XoG1T)
Calling myself a programmer is a bit much, but that is what my employer calls me. The majority of my time is spent writing scripts that create reports and populate excel spreadsheets.
Occasionally I can justify writing in C++ but not very often.
Still what I do now is better than what I did before which was auditing financial statements.
Last edited on
Still a C++/Perl/SQL. (Current contract just got extended)

Crazy day.
^
is a software engineer.
I have a job to be a student that studies programming, does that count? :D
Well I've been debating whether or not to go to college for programming, and BHXSpecter, you took the exact course that I was going to, I even applied at DeVry. I was talking to a friend that lives in my area who is a software developer and he was telling me not to go to college, just practice, practice, practice, and create a portfolio, and if you're good enough some companies may hire you without a degree. I have no evidence of this but that's what he told me.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
I am a the Software Developer in a research and development department of a small company. I have a Bachelors degree in Computer Science and have been working here for about fifteen years. I'm also a (self taught) sysadmin for the company.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
It really all depends on what you want to do twiggy. Personally if you can afford it or don't mind paying student loans I would definitely go to college. Without a degree many doors close for you specially at thebbeginning of your career. Also software dev jobs aren't just about programming either and college will teach you many other skills other then programing that you will use on a daily basis.

At leadt that is my opinion on the subject but this has been discussed many times here and don't want to hijack your thread with a college debate so really that is your decision to make. Just think it through and do your research.
I was talking to a friend that lives in my area who is a software developer and he was telling me not to go to college, just practice, practice, practice, and create a portfolio, and if you're good enough some companies may hire you without a degree.

There have been plenty of discussions on this forum about whether that's a sensible strategy. From my point of view (I have a PhD and many programmers I work with do too), education is crucial to successful, advanced carrier, but apparently some people manage to get somewhere without it.
If you do go to college (or university/tafe other higher education) I'd recommend do a highly specialized course. Over generalized courses are less likely to land you a job [citation needed].
Also MIT offer a crap load of course material for free if anyone's interested (I hope that's not too off topic) http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm
I've actually looked at the ocw mit stuff, it's great, the first language they teach is python, and it has lectures, lecture notes, quizzes, assignments, it's great I have it all on my PC
Pages: 12