Video game scenario

Pages: 123
that sounds very ambitious, is it your first game?
Definitely not! I would be so stressed out trying to write this without any experience! So anyways how could I spawn such items that bring back those memories?
Last edited on
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Are you familiar with classes/structs?

Are you also familiar with pointers? Because it seems you need a lot of those when you're programming games...
i dont think hes asking technical advice, more of "what would make sense in a gameplay perspective"
I know now, but I thought he meant spawning items in-game.

I'm just a nerd :P

I think because this is all text classes and pointers are not 100% necessary although classes are nice to use but I just use label and goto for now. When 0.01 releases classes and pointers will be added since like 90% of the game will be rewritten anyways. I know people say labels and gotos are not good in code because they can mess up your code but two years ago I was writing scripts that only used labels and gotos and I learned a neat and foolproof way of using them. DON'T CALL VARIABLES IN RANDOM PLACES!!! ITS JUST THAT SIMPLE!!! I'm going to nerd rage.
I need to know, what would you like to do as a zombie that you think would be fun? Could there be a different way to recover sanity that is less linear?
Okay, I'm approaching writers block and I really need ideas. I have about 100 ish lines to go but after that I'm out of things to write.
Seriously consider reigning in your imagination. It's better to finish several smaller projects then it is to get no where on something like you are planning right now.

Why not write something like a Sudoku or Minesweeper puzzler? These are pretty large projects all on their own for someone with your skill level.
I currently have 367 lines written, I need to write about 2500 lines by September. I had about 500 but I removed 115 lines of code that won't be added in 0.01 but will be re added once 0.01 is released. Please don't tell me where my skill level is because you don't know me, but good idea. I am listening to a German techno remix at the moment (my taste in music totally shifts when I code) I tend to me way more creative when I listen to electronic music. I don't have any other current projects and I don't feel like starting from scratch. If I can finish this part (insanity mode) I can really get into the juicy part of the game. I am currently behind by the way. I need to finish about 300 lines today.
goto for now
No.

Using gotos for large projects is a no-no. I don't even know how to use them anymore.

Matter of fact, using gotos for ANY project is a no-no.

It just turns into spaghetti code, just like Assembler programs.

Seriously you should change it before it becomes a nuisance to control.
As long as it doesn't turn into spaghetti it's fine, I don't typically use gotos and labels for any of my projects. I write my code in a way that limits spaghettability <- this should be a term. When 0.01 releases (1% complete) I will change it along with all the bugs, user interfaces and other stuff while still having the same old game but 1000000.5 times better than the original. Only about 250 lines in the finished project will be from the original.
I didn't mean to offend, but when you start to equate Lines of Code with progress, and you pretend to have your checkpoints all planned out for the future you show a certain lack of understanding of what you are getting your self into. I still think your energy would be better focused on a simpler game, but I'll admit that I am curious to see what you have so far.
If you say so, but you don't want this turning into a Minecraft code base :P
closed account (3qX21hU5)
I still think your energy would be better focused on a simpler game, but I'll admit that I am curious to see what you have so far.

I have to agree with Computergeek here. One of the most common pitfalls when beginning game programming is going way to large and then realizing that it would take you a considerable amount of time to even finish half of it. Which then results in being discouraged.

Another one is planning it out way to much and not actually coding anything. I used to do this a lot because I didn't realize that games are of a very fluid nature and change considerably during development. So all them plans turn into nothing, especially when one of the key aspects of the game turns out to be boring or unworkable then you have to redesign everything you spent so long working on.

Now that isn't to say you shouldn't have the basic concepts worked out before taking on the project but just don't go into a huge amount of detail and have a huge design document written up.

This is why people always recommend new programmers to work on something simple and get familiar with the development cycle of a game first. It also helps to first create a few games that have already been made (Like asteroids, space invaders, donkey kong, tetris, ect.) and then add your own twists onto them later.

So while it is good that you have all these idea and are very creative, I would still recommend taking it a bit more slow and maybe scaling it down a bit.
To be honest I don't have much. I remember writing and bug fixing my first game 115 lines. It was boring. I know what I did wrong and when I go wrong with this file I now know where to fix it. I actually expect not to finish it for years but if you dev the basics early everything becomes easier and more fluent. That's where I wen't wrong, it wasn't fluent. There was no variability. There was nothing to do. This game is currently go fight a zombie until you become one but when I finish that stuff (remember when I said that when I get this done I can get to the juicy stuff) I then write the NPCs and link them together. Each NPC adds alot to the game. I don't actually have much planned out other than a giant three way war at the end, it just seems that way because I have the basics planned. Thats it. I will try to post the current source code, it currently sucks but I'm sure you can try it out.
The code is to large I can't post it...
367 lines?

And please, stop double posting.
Yeah, it's small but it takes up the char limit. What is double posting?
closed account (3qX21hU5)
It means you post one post then then another right after that. Though I wouldn't worry about it.

But anyways just do what you find fun that is really all that matters. If you program stuff you like to program you will enjoy doing it and that makes learning it much easier (It has been proven that your brain remembers stuff that you find interesting much more easily). But just don't get ahead of yourself and make sure you understand what everything is doing.

Anyways best of luck with your game and feel free to ask if you have any questions.
Pages: 123