Video game scenario

Pages: 123
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Well in the case the code is to much double posting should be okay.

Also, do avoid un-needed double posting there is an edit button.
Sorry, I actually forgot about the edit button.
Well first off, no one knows what "This thing" is. It's bad practice to use "thing" when writing stories.

No it's not. Stephen King's IT, John Carpenter's Thing (and the remake), even Alien series of movies use 'this thing'. I've played a lot of games where for the first half of the game the enemy is referred to as "thing", "monster", "unknown", etc.
367 lines?

And please, stop double posting.

Traditionally, "double posting" is posting the same thing twice, not making two consecutive posts with different content. The former is obviously annoying and verges on spam. The latter is rarely prohibited on forums.

On the other hand, I see your post count going up nicely with all the contentless posts (such as the one I respond to here) after your recent ban. Makes one wonder what business you have attempting to police the forums.
cire wrote:
On the other hand, I see your post count going up nicely with all the contentless posts

incredible isnt it, hes made almost as many posts in a few days, when it has taken me a month and half ( namely because i couldnt care less about the count )

to the OP, id highly recommend starting out on projects less ambitious, work your way up. what ive been doing is making projects of programming concepts that require one specific thing done very well, which helps me get better faster.

it seems like you may not have enough experience to create the project to how you envision it
To be honest, no I don't. I am only experienced to get to finishing 0.02ish not even but I can finish 0.01 successfully. Graphics in programming is the hardest kind of content I have ever attempted to add to a project. For right now I'm doing fine other than my creativity blockage.
Regarding your second issue, I for one know what writers block is like. The method that has been working for me is to carry a notebook around with you. Something with perforated pages. Write down everything that comes to you, even if it isn't related to what ever current project you have going. Then when you get home rip out the pages and collate them with their respective binders\vanilla colored envelops. There's nothing worse then having an amazing idea while you're waiting in line somewhere only to have no idea of what it was when you get home.
I really don't care what my post count is. It could be reset for all I care.

Also, to the OPer. What's hard about graphics programming? It's only hard and confusing if you rush it.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Also, to the OPer. What's hard about graphics programming? It's only hard and confusing if you rush it.

Same old stuff... And here I thought he would change.

Lumpkin wrote:
What's hard about graphics programming? It's only hard and confusing if you rush it.

Graphics programming is hard. I'm starting to think you haven't learned anything from being banned. You claimed you were going to think more and yet you have already gone back to doing multiple contentless posts as cire pointed out.

You have shown nothing to prove you know thing one about programming in any form or range. You need to stop giving advice on anything as you are almost always wrong in your information. If you continue on this course of action, I foresee you being banned a second time.
@ The_Poster_Formally_Known_As_Fred: How about actually drawing the art assets for one thing. Or if you're using OSL images from the internet even finding the right ones that fit together is a chore in and of itself. I completely agree with you in the sense that the actual coding isn't too difficult, but that is far from the only layer of complexity that including graphics adds to a project.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
Computergeek01 wrote:
Regarding your second issue, I for one know what writers block is like. The method that has been working for me is to carry a notebook around with you.

+1. i do that, because when ever i need to think up content, i never can, but ill be doing random things when im struck with a brilliant idea, solution, theme, etc. although i usually just use a pen + scraps of paper in my pocket
closed account (3qX21hU5)
I completely agree with you in the sense that the actual coding isn't too difficult,

I mean yes the beginning aspects of putting a few sprites on screen, getting tilemaps to render, all that stuff isn't the hardest programming in the world but it is still quite challenging at times.

Then when you get to the more advanced stuff like Culling your drawing by implementing spatial subdivision with a quad or circle tree or some other method so that your rendering performance doesn't go into the tank. (first thing that came into my head since I am struggling with this atm).

I guess I agree that graphics programming isn't the hardest programming to do out there, but I don't really see how graphics programming is easy.
Last edited on
closed account (zb0S216C)
Lumpkin wrote:
"...using gotos for ANY project is a no-no."

*Shakes head in disappointment*

I've said this before, but I'll gladly repeat myself just for you: "goto" is not bad, but is given a bad name by programmers incorporating it at the wrong time. "goto" is fine as long as it's kept within a small scope. Even though "goto" is a C feature, it still has relevance -- as little as it may be -- in C++ code.

Wazzak
Thanks for that notebook idea actually, I'm not starting graphics for a while. That's so true how the greatest ideas come at random! The idea for this game came to me last year while messing around with TI-BASIC in the middle of some boring class, the idea of the game was you were a thief trying to make money in any way possible. It just involved killing people until you died and then if you made anything you would gamble it away and make nothing. That was its earliest form. Then at night my ideas would evolve the game but by very little at a time. Then one summer where I had lots of free time I wrote stuff down at random and I would play Skyrim out of boredom and I thought to myself what if this were some kind of real game with variability and some story line (not to linear), some actual choice and interactivity, not a game where you spam the fight button but one where you select the weapon, one where some attacks actually miss and one that you can play and not get bored to death. That's where this whole thing came from. Now I have writing of 1/3 the NPCs, two gangs, one natural disaster and just fun things to do on the side that increase progression anyways. Not everything I have written will be added but it's a good idea to have things briefly planned. That seems about it for the thread, I will let you post whatever before closing it.
I don't think he was looking for jobs.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 123