The Perfect Crime

Pages: 1... 3456
ModShop: haha, whoops. I totally didn't see your reply. hahaha.

I love how everyone's argument is "it is your body killing you not you", but you can word it however you want. Fact is, your heart, lungs, liver, stomach, cells, etc. are all you

They're all part of you. Many would argue that an individual is more than merely a sum of their parts.

In fact to most people... "you" and "your body" and even "your brain" all have 3 clearly different meanings.

You are playing a semantic game which flies in the face of modern language. Nitpicking over details which, whether or not they are technically true, are contrary to what 90+% of native English speakers perceive the words to mean.
I love how everyone's argument is "it is your body killing you not you", but you can word it however you want. Fact is, your heart, lungs, liver, stomach, cells, etc. are all you. Arguing differences in body and you is like arguing that you are not you because your consciousness has been around for centuries before it came to this body. Or arguing, "I didn't hit the guy, my car did. They are just charging me because I was driving

you can not word it any way you want, "you" does not refer to a body part. it wouldnt make any sense. "that is your arm" refers to your arm, "that is you" does not.

you have lungs, a heart, etc. but they are not "you"

I didn't hit the guy, my car did. They are just charging me because I was driving

thats a decision you make
@Disch
I've heard the saying "more than merely a sum of their parts", but without some of those parts the individual would be dead. I did think of one thing though, a lot of people that are diagnosed with HIV, AIDS, Cancer, Tumors, etc do become suicidal and have high suicide rates so in a roundabout way it works :P.

Though, I'll concede just to end this because apparently I know the ~10% of the world that don't think like that. Bad part is almost all of them are either nurses or doctors :o. I've been told I'm killing myself because I have severe obstructive sleep apnea that is so severe that I almost go into cardiac arrest if I sleep without my Bi-PAP machine.

Paoletti301 wrote:
thats a decision you make

You just won the award for narrow thinking. I got in legal trouble for vehicular assault because I hit a guy. It was proven that I was telling the truth and it wasn't my fault because my brakes failed when I applied them.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
you have lungs, a heart, etc. but they are not "you"
It's really depends on what "you" means to you. To some it means your body, to others, your mind.

It's just going to be an endless argument :P
Me wrote:
Also, on a more philosophical note: What parts make "you"? I believe that the answer is subjective and thus this whole argument is pointless.

Lumpkin wrote:
It's really depends on what "you" means to you. To some it means your body, to others, your mind.

It's just going to be an endless argument :P

Lets play spot the difference :P
Oh, sorry... I didn't even see that post XD
lol its okay.

You just won the award for narrow thinking. I got in legal trouble for vehicular assault because I hit a guy. It was proven that I was telling the truth and it wasn't my fault because my brakes failed when I applied them.

Well if you decided to have your brakes fail then it is your fault, if not then you just went completely off topic and ridiculed Paoletti301 for no reason...

I've been told I'm killing myself because I have severe obstructive sleep apnea that is so severe that I almost go into cardiac arrest if I sleep without my Bi-PAP machine.

You are not killing your self, you are putting yourself in a high risk situation, similar (logically) to that of getting in a car and driving it.

thats mechanical failure, not an incorrect decision

which means youre saying that if something happens that wasnt your intent, you are not at fault

so by your logic there, people who naturally develop cancer did not have the intent to do so, therefor it is not their fault and they are not killing themselves

EDIT
It's really depends on what "you" means to you. To some it means your body, to others, your mind

but you cannot refer to someones body with the word "you"

that does not make any sense in the english language.
Last edited on
but you cannot refer to someones body with the word "you"

that does not make any sense in the english language.

No?

"Who is the lucky body wearing that costume?"

"You are."

I am a body, but I am more than just a body.

When someone says "You weigh 152 pounds." Do you think they're talking about you, the body?

Hell, I sometimes refer to my own body as "you" when I'm working out (often accompanied by curse words.)
Last edited on
Hell, I sometimes refer to my own body as "you" when I'm working out (often accompanied by curse words.)

That actually kind of supports my point.

If "you" was synonymous with "your body", then you wouldn't refer to your body as "you"... you would refer to it as "me" or "I".

To say "you" means you are inferring to it as a separate entity from yourself... thereby indicating that both your body and your consciousness are two distinctly different things.
cire wrote:
-snip-
I already told you the argument is useless...

I bet it's either going to go off topic or soon everyone is just going to agree that the argument is useless. Just wait...

I'll have a nice glass of 'I told ya so' when the time comes. :P
Last edited on
The only thing more pointless than a pointless post, is a post talking about how another post was pointless.

And yes I realize the irony in making a pointless post to illustrate how pointless your pointless post was.

Also this thread has been offtopic since about page 2. What does any of this have to do with "the perfect crime"?
We were discussing the definition of 'you' (well they were), so we'll know what the definition of 'suicide' was.

Just realized the 'Lounge' in minecraft forums gets off topic also...
I recently had a partial spontanious human combustion problem. I did not burn up, but my skin caught fire for no reason, and I could fly. It was then that my sister and I and a couple of our friends decided to become super heros.
Dragon Ball Z?

Or maybe it's that meths.

But I don't understand how you get spontaneous human combustion anyway.
That actually kind of supports my point.

If "you" was synonymous with "your body", then you wouldn't refer to your body as "you"... you would refer to it as "me" or "I".

To say "you" means you are inferring to it as a separate entity from yourself... thereby indicating that both your body and your consciousness are two distinctly different things.

I sometimes refer to the whole package as you, as well. To self: "You better not forget to do X today." Does that mean I'm two separate entities?
Disch wrote:

"My body is killing me" ... . Though, makes me wonder...how hard would the court laugh if you gave the defense "Your Honor, I didn't consciously kill him. It was a muscle spasm, my body did it, so I'm not guilty!" Wonder what all odd excuses Judges have heard for why a person isn't guilty.

On topic, there is no perfect crime, plain and simple.
I'm sure you could take it to supreme court and win. ;)

Just throw in some religious and philosophical crap and walk free.
Last edited on
makes me wonder...how hard would the court laugh if you gave the defense "Your Honor, I didn't consciously kill him. It was a muscle spasm, my body did it, so I'm not guilty!"

If there was medical evidence to support that, you would not get laughed at, but rather it would be a legitimate defense.

I'm sure there are many cases where a medically legitimate loss of motor control caused someone else to get killed, and the accused was found not guilty because it wasn't their fault.

For example...if you were to have a heart attack, which causes you to pass out while driving and smash into someone.. killing them... but you survive both the crash and the heart attack... you would not be guilty of any crime.

On topic, there is no perfect crime, plain and simple.

I stand by my racketeering scheme on page 2.

http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/108511/2/#msg591198

It really is perfect.
Pages: 1... 3456