What language do you prefer

Pages: 12
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Please don't turn this into a language debate.

Anyway, mine is C++.

EDIT: Tell why you guys like the language, why you guys learned it also.
Last edited on
Unless you want only a statement of the language, that seems inevitable...

C++, but I learned it first and use it the most so that isn't a surprise.
What made you learn it?
closed account (jwkNwA7f)
C++
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
UnrealScript
C++, much in the same way as Zhuge - I learned it first and use it the most.
Last edited on
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
C++. Becuz ppl tell me once u know c or c++ than u can't help knowing a little about java c# and other ones
prefer for what?
For doing work, I prefer C++ because it works best for the kind of jobs I like doing
For recreation, I like APL ( because thinking in terms of generalized outer products is awesome), Haskell (because I like being lazy and pointfree) , Forth (or, rather, its modern cousins like Factor, because.. it was one of my firsts, I guess), Prolog ( because I like the faint scent of the 5th generation languages), and maybe a few others.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
Becuz ppl tell me once u know c or c++ than u can't help knowing a little about java
is anyone going to adress that? its not really accurate especially with c. java and c are very different. java and c++ are different to. the basics and features are kind of the same but knowing c++ wont mean you know java
but knowing c++ wont mean you know java
lol

The syntax is very similar. They might not be similarly compiled, but I can understand what a Java coder is doing by looking at his code.
Of course C++; it's a difficult language, but that is part of the fun.

I've had fun messing around with scheme. I can't think of any serious project I would like to use it for though.

I would like to learn Haskell, when I get the time.
I would like to learn Haskell, when I get the time.
Same here.

Is it really used in commercial projects?
Last edited on
From what I have gathered, Haskell is not used much in industry. I read a pretty long StackOverflow article on why that is. My favorite answer: It's not used in industry much because it's not used in industry much. Not enough employees, prospects know it, and it's different paradigm than languages like java, C, c# etc, so it's hard for some people to grasp at first, and the extra training cost money, and so it's not cost effective.

So if you're looking to get in the industry it's go C-based or don't work in the industry at all?
closed account (3qX21hU5)
For games - C++

For most other stuff - Python
I learn languages just for the fun of learning languages. I've dabbled in a lot of languages in the past 17 years.

BASIC, Assembler, C, C++, C#, Java, Javascript, PHP, Python, Perl, Lua, Ruby, D, Erlang, Lisp, Scheme, Visual Basic, and numerous others. I always come back to C++.
PYTHON!!!! ITS SO AMAZING
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
probably php is my favorite, just because it is the closest thing to the language in my dreams.

The syntax is very similar. They might not be similarly compiled, but I can understand what a Java coder is doing by looking at his code

this is all im going to say about it fred. they are very similar syntax but they are very different languages, not just in terms of being compiled. and while i get what your saying about understanding other languages that youve never written in, its still a differnet language
I understand that. All I was doing was putting that point I mentioned across.
Cubbi wrote:
prefer for what?
If all languages were equally suitable to your desired goal, which would you prefer?
Pages: 12