DirectX9 or DirectX11

Pages: 123
closed account (jwkNwA7f)
I am learning DirectX and I have heard that DirectX9 is better in some ways. So, which one should I use? Also, what is the difference?

Thank you!
A user AimlessZealot nailed this one not too long ago: http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/windows/108376/
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
All I know is that directX11 has better graphics
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
DirectX 11 doesn't have better graphics (probably confused by the bullshit propoganda Microsoft spread). It is an improved API with more feature, possibly with the potential to be faster, but it's based on the user to provide graphics. It doesn't magically fix non-antialiased lines or make a blocky arc way smooth. It can HELP those situations however but it doesn't do that just because you're using DX 11.
I read AimlessZealot's post. Can you tell me more about the fixed pipelines? Thanks.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
The fixed pipelines are deprecated. Shaders are the future and the current in most cases. This is the case in both DirectX and OpenGL. You can't avoid it if you're moving into graphics rendering.
Last edited on
Thank you! I guess I will go with DirectX11.
Ofc directx 11,it's not just better,but it's newer version.Xp is going to die,so directx 9.
@Foxefde Yeah. Also, a lot people still like XP. I am not sure why, 7 is way better. I am still going to use DirectX11.
Just,microsoft will stop updating xp soon,thath's another reason.. it's so pointless and illogical to start DX9
Last edited on
closed account (9wqjE3v7)
Lots of changes (for Direct3D) have happened since DirectX 9; DGXI, new shader models, COMS and like computerquip mentioned, changes to the pipeline. If you learn DX9, you'll have to remove old habits once adjusting to newer versions of the API. Then again, I know people are going to disagree with me over this, though it wouldn't hurt using DX10.
Last edited on
Why DX10?Argument that
Despite I'm a DX lover, I'm sure you may want to put OpenGL in the topic.
Due to the support/updates from Gfx Cards Manufacturers, i'd say DX11.
About ease of use, DX9 or OpenGL.

Reasons?
DX11 is becoming the "New DX standard" (Just as DX9 was, why not using DX8? Because DX9 has more/better/newer features).
But DX9 has been used more and more time, so it's easier for you to learn to use DX9.

OpenGL has always used the same functions (even if there's newer OpenGL versions now, which, again, bring you more/better/newer features).
@EssGeEich I think I still want to learn DX. I have a good book already on it. Thanks anyway.
You may also want to wait DX11.2. I see they've split Linker and Compiler for the shaders.
This way you can create "shader libraries" to easify the creation of shaders.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Just,microsoft will stop updating xp soon,thath's another reason.. it's so pointless and illogical to start DX9
Just because they stop adding updates doesn't mean people are going to stop using it.

My school still uses winXP to this date.
Lumpkin wrote:
Just because they stop adding updates doesn't mean people are going to stop using it.

That's one of the few things I can agree with you, but in a few years everyone will be using at least W7.
Compare our actual OS'es.
How many Win95/Win98/Win2K do you see?
Last edited on
closed account (N36fSL3A)
How many Win95/Win98/Win2K do you see?
Actually quite a bit, in some businesses, and my library has a few working machines of WinNT (you can use them freely)
Lumkin wrote:

My school still uses winXP to this date.

I do agree. But, all of the schools I have gone to still have WinXP. It is just cheaper computers they go to save money.
My last school had these in their computer lab:
a lot of Dell Latitude C610's (from about 2000ish)
one Toshiba Satellite 4200 or 4600 Pro (from around 1999)
^These originally came w/ Win2k or Win98
a few Dell Dimension 3000's (from around 2004) actually I have one of those, but I don't use it.
and other old computers that have WinXP
closed account (9wqjE3v7)
@Foxefde Why not? One of the only reasons developers are still clinging onto DX9 is due to it being the API of the current gen Xbox. You may argue that DX10 was pointless and should have been released with 11, though the reason I am using it is since it's minimum supported client OS is Vista, and it comprises of less features (that are currently unecessary to me) and a simpler interface (in my opinion) than DX11. I don't need it.
Pages: 123