DirectX9 or DirectX11

Pages: 123
Vista?Can we call vista windows?I wouldn't...

Now..Yes,they are clinging onto dx9,but I'm thinking about future,you can't learn directx in 2weeks or so and it's quite hard.But later directx 9 will die for sure and if you don't believe me - you will se.

Xp are still popular and still remain until 2015~ probably,but then..well,everybody will start buying better computers,probably all of them will already have windows 7 installed ,it will be quite pointless to reinstall to xp.
closed account (9wqjE3v7)
Of course we can agree that it will die out, look at DX8, and 7...6...ect. You don't need to have windows XP on your system to use DX9, that is just the minimum supported client. I would imagine though that it's user/kernel mode drivers and libraries will not be included after the next installation of windows, however. I was against using DX9 at this point* due to it's different interface.
Last edited on
closed account (N36fSL3A)
you can't learn directx in 2weeks or so and it's quite hard.
Just because you can't doesn't mean others can't.

Xp are still popular and still remain until 2015~ probably,but then..well,everybody will start buying better computers,probably all of them will already have windows 7 installed ,it will be quite pointless to reinstall to xp
Sadly this is true. But it will most likely be used on VMs a lot. Some programs can only run on winXP. Good ones too.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
I still think DirectX is going to eventually die out due to it's lack of flexibility across platforms. You keep talking about support given a certain version of Windows... why not just use OpenGL which isn't restricted to any specific OS?
I think you underestimate MS's market pull. Especially in PC gaming.

Gaming on Windows has done nothing but explode in popularity over the past few years. DirectX isn't going anywhere.
What the hell is happening to my comments? It's really getting annoying, I send my comments and they don't show up.

Anyway:
I still think DirectX is going to eventually die out due to it's lack of flexibility across platforms.
I highly doubt that. MS is were all the money is (well most of it).

Many devs don't even care about the rest of the platforms.
I like the D3D interface, though sadly Microsoft are not replacing those irritating COMs and error codes, too much unecessary error handling. There are so many instances where they could have used exceptions, which are much more tidy yet effective.

EDIT: @computerquip I agree with one of your earlier posts about Microsofts gimmicks/promos. Look how much they are encouraging developers to use DirectX11.2, they want people to move to Windows 8.
Last edited on
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Lumpkin wrote:
Just because you can't doesn't mean others can't.

You are kind of falling back into that really annoying cocky "I know it all and I'm better then you attitude" fredbill. And here I thought you might actually change when you got banned. I've been trying so hard for the last few weeks not to call you out on all of your posts but it's getting quite hard not to.

But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt fredbill. If you can program a fully functional 2D asteroids clone in DirectX in 2 weeks you are right and you can learn directX in 2 weeks ;p.

So if you are up to the challenge I would be glad to see what you come up with.
Last edited on
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
Lumpkin, the only platforms that DX works on is Windows. This means you're ignoring almost all mobile phones, consoles, and every single OS out there... except Microsoft-based products (which does indeed have a good market share in the Desktop arena).

Too say many devs don't care about the other platforms is somewhat short sighted, don't you think?
Last edited on
You are kind of falling back into that really annoying cocky "I know it all and I'm better then you attitude" fredbill. And here I thought you might actually change when you got banned. I've been trying so hard for the last few weeks not to call you out on all of your posts but it's getting quite hard not to.
Please do call me out if I'm being cocky. I see where you got it from, but I really didn't mean to put it across like that.

I admit I can't learn DX in 2 weeks. I wasn't trying to say that at all. I'm just saying people with great memory/perseverance . I have no interest in learning it at all. (I'm definitely not trying to say I'm that person)

Too say many devs don't care about the other platforms is somewhat short sighted, don't you think?
Yea it is, sorry about that. I meant in the desktop/laptop area.
Last edited on
closed account (3qX21hU5)
I would like to apologize for coming off a bit harsh with my last post. It was uncalled for and I apologize for it.

What I meant to say that it is highly highly unlikely that after 2 weeks of learning to use directX you would be able to use it effectively in my opinion. You might be able to understand what everything does but you wouldn't be able to use it effectively to make a solid product.

I see it as the same as learning C++. Yes you can learn the syntax and understand the basics of the language in 2 weeks. But it takes months if not years to be able to understand how to use the language effectively if that makes any sense ;p.
I see it as the same as learning C++. Yes you can learn the syntax and understand the basics of the language in 2 weeks. But it takes months if not years to be able to understand how to use the language effectively if that makes any sense ;p.
I can agree.

I remember me typing a post about how great I was at C++, and I learned it in a short time. Looking back at my projects, I must say I was very new.

I still do see where you could call my last post cocky, an apology seriously wasn't necessary. :P
....aaand...

Back to the XP bashing...

I like XP. It is a solid, small, efficient OS.

I like Windows 7 better, mind you, but only because 7 is what XP wanted to be.
Lumpkin,if directx is very easy - you must be genius .
Well, DirectX is quite easy for me too.
I just had to get used to it.
But OpenGL is easier.
Last edited on
Why are people so worried about consumers when you are only simply learning the API. Chances are, If you are just starting off, you are unlikely to have a full fledged innovative game that will sell. That's like worrying about what you're going to spend 1M dollars on when you haven't even made the money. Don't get ahead of yourselves (sorry if I am sounding bitter, I don't mean to). If you are experienced with another API however, well that is a different story. I am only addressing people starting out with graphics programming.
DirectX is going to be deprecated sometime soon.
What makes you think so?
Are we all going to do manual low-level I-O with the graphics hardware?
Hmm, I can't seem to find the link. But I read an article recently that MS plans to phase out DirectX for a new sdk.

But I guess it's wise to take it with a grain of salt.
Pages: 123