C++ anti piracy algorythim

Pages: 12
Preventing piracy of programs is like preventing piracy of images. Licensing, watermarks... Anything you do can and will be undone.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Not really there is certain business models that can prevent piracy pretty well (Subscription based models, or in games Free to Play with a in-game store, in the mobile market making the app free and generating revenue from ads, ect).

All these models are becoming quite popular because of piracy.
Last edited on
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
Yet they are still worked around. For instance, take World of Warcraft. You literally have an entire economy based on WoW private servers that are free to play on.

Also, piracy is the act of taking something and claiming it as your own. A free to play game with in-game shops isn't an example of anti-piracy as it doesn't prevent people from using the files for their own benefit.

The large picture shows differently from what you think. I've had code, images, really hard work that I've spent months on, taken from me. It's not fun but it's part of the world we live in.

From a perspective, at the cost of all of your software's users and extra hard work on your behalf, you do nothing but possibly delay the theft of what you made. Instead of relying on a legal system, you rely on built-in mechanisms that have never truly worked.

I don't like it. I like the way Xchat did things (for the Windows client anyways). The only difference I would do is have people pay for source as well as binaries/packages instead of making it GPL since I need a living.
Last edited on
People would just leak it.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Also, piracy is the act of taking something and claiming it as your own.

Hmm that isn't what I always thought it meant but I could be wrong. I always thought piracy was when you obtain a illegal copy of something (IE Downloading a game without paying for it, downloading a song without paying for it, ect).

I think the word you are looking for is Copyright infringement.

From a perspective, at the cost of all of your software's users and extra hard work on your behalf, you do nothing but possibly delay the theft of what you made. Instead of relying on a legal system, you rely on built-in mechanisms that have never truly worked.

The legal system isn't really the best option to prevent someone from taking your stuff without paying for it. Any small time developer would have no chance of bringing a piracy suit against someone. They just don't have the capital it takes to support months/years of legal battles for that suit, not to mention the time it would take out of their lives to go to them court hearings, meet with the lawyers, ect. Then if you do win the lawyer still gets %40. If you lose well you just paid the lawyer for nothing.
closed account (jwkNwA7f)
Zereo wrote:
Hmm that isn't what I always thought it meant but I could be wrong. I always thought piracy was when you obtain a illegal copy of something (IE Downloading a game without paying for it, downloading a song without paying for it, ect).

I think the word you are looking for is Copyright infringement.

Yes, he should have said copyright infringement.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
Eh, I guess. Sort of in the same boat.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12