Polls

Pages: 12
Hi,
as you might know, I have been working on poll system for this forum, and it's nearly complete! Please take a minute and test it
1. visit http://sandbox.cplusplus.com/forum/competitions/
2. click on "[this thread has a poll. click here to show]"
3. You should see the poll.
4. click 'show results' and then 'go back'
5. vote

you shouldn't see:
* 'close poll' and 'delete poll' buttons. If you do, you are either me or a moderator
* "you havce already voted in this thread" message if you haven't voted
* "you cannot vote. Are you banned?" message, unless you are banned

and it feels so good to be unbanned
Ah! This is what you were working on. I thought you were going to implement a way for people to vote on individual comments, this is much better. I can't seem to Report your poll though, I was curious to see what that would do.
closed account (jwkNwA7f)
Neat. I see all the "should see"s, and I don't see all of the "shouldn't see"s.
I also noticed a "Link to this post" button. It didn't work, but when it does that will be good too.
I can't seem to Report your poll though, I was
curious to see what that would do.
I also noticed a "Link to this post" button. It
didn't work, but when it does that will be good
too.

That's because the thread does not exist - i copied a piece of html from the main site to show how the poll will look like and where it will be displayed.
@Null I thought you did that. I noticed when you hover over some of the items, the cursor is still a crosshair (I think that is what it is called).
I tried to vote "yes" but my vote option kept disappearing when I clicked "vote".
I voted yes
@megasnorlax: that's strange.. what browser are you using? But I see you in the voters list, so your vote was accepted
great work keep this up I want another competition soon soon :D
I don't think the poll should be hidden by default, it makes it very easy to miss.
I am not sure I like it to display the names of who voted and what they voted for.
I think that's one of the better points of it, honestly.
Disch wrote:
I don't think the poll should be hidden by default, it makes it very easy to miss.
I am not sure. I didn't want to make it annoying but on the other hand, as you said, it's easy to miss.

@Manga: This an be changed. The poll author will be allowed to decide whether to display who voted or not.

@devonrevenge: I will not organize any competitions... I hope someone will do that
Last edited on
closed account (3qX21hU5)
I think it should be mandatory for it to show users names. It would help cut down on a person just creating a whole bunch of random accounts to vote for their entry or something.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
@Zereo

The articles actually has a IP-Based rate system. Just literally copy and paste that to the poll system
It's easier to spoof an IP than it is to create a new username.

If this is a genuine concern, maybe only allow voting for people with over 100 posts or something.

But really... I don't think this is something we have to worry about. Like at all.

I just like the idea of seeing who voted for what.
Do you know when we will be able to use this?
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Wait, you're a dev for this website Null?
Do you know when we will be able to use this?
I don't know. I have to finish the code (2 weeks max. I think) and then twicker will implement it, but he's probably busy with other things.

Wait, you're a dev for this website Null?
No
Null wrote:
> Wait, you're a dev for this website Null?
No
That begs the question how/why you're doing this. Unless you registered sandbox.cplusplus.com on your own?
Pages: 12