Things college professors say

Pages: 12345
This is my second c++ course and my teacher is making me use using namespace std;

All the old .h libraries and said it's okay to use void main.

He gets mad if I use std:: also because it is "easier" to use using.
Tried to ask him why but he couldn't explain to me why I can't use std:: other than "easier" not sure why he even cares as long as the program has proper syntax and the program has the correct output it should not matter...
Also some times I like to use flush instead of just putting a semi colon at the end of a line but that is useless he says (prob is to most modern compilers ) but still don't see why he cares so much..
Admin wrote:
How To Answer Questions in a Helpful Way

Be gentle. Problem-related stress can make people seem rude or stupid even when they're not.

Reply to a first offender off-line. There is no need of public humiliation for someone who may have made an honest mistake. A real newbie may not know how to search archives or where the FAQ is stored or posted.

If you don't know for sure, say so! A wrong but authoritative-sounding answer is worse than none at all. Don't point anyone down a wrong path simply because it's fun to sound like an expert. Be humble and honest; set a good example for both the querent and your peers.

If you can't help, don't hinder. Don't make jokes about procedures that could trash the user's setup — the poor sap might interpret these as instructions.

Ask probing questions to elicit more details. If you're good at this, the querent will learn something — and so might you. Try to turn the bad question into a good one; remember we were all newbies once.

While muttering RTFM is sometimes justified when replying to someone who is just a lazy slob, a pointer to documentation (even if it's just a suggestion to google for a key phrase) is better.

If you're going to answer the question at all, give good value. Don't suggest kludgy workarounds when somebody is using the wrong tool or approach. Suggest good tools. Reframe the question.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
L B wrote:
It's not the adults we're trying to protect.
Who then?

@giblit

It's not anything over the top, just bear with him, alright?
admin wrote:
Feel free to participate in a constructive and polite way in any topic of this category. Messages may be deleted or moved without prior notice and may prompt the suspension of user accounts.

Lumpkin wrote:
It's not anything over the top, just bear with him, alright?

It's directly inflammatory. So no. Over the top or not, it's still hostile, uncivil and completely unnecessary. The adults here recognize that. Do you?
It's unnecessary, I agree, but no one's on the verge of suicide/feels unsafe, do they?

Come on, it's just the word 'idiot'. No one's seriously offended.
Last edited on
Saying it once is one thing. Constantly repeating insults is quite another.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Lumpkin wrote:
It's unnecessary, I agree, but no one's on the verge of suicide/feels unsafe, do they?
It is nothing to do with being suicidal or feeling unsafe. I has to do with respect and being civil. If you do not respect someone, fine, just show some respect to the other forum users.

and wrote:
Come on, it's just the word 'idiot'. No one's seriously offended.
An insult is never just a word and you should not become comfortable with people casually insulting others.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
vlad is usually rather open minded about other things. Not sure what the big deal about this one is.

#include <iostream>
int
main
{
std::cout <<
  "LOLOLOL" <<
  std::endl;

return 0;
}

Hideous? Yes. Wrong? No. It compiles, runs, and would have no different a result with different format.

Regardless, to say something is wrong or correct must be backed with absolute logic, not moral/political philosophy.
Last edited on
closed account (o1vk4iN6)
@computerquip

Not really so much the fact of having two monitors as much as the way the second is used which is really only beneficial for use of programming which is why you'd have two.

http://cloudfront-assets.unclutterer.com/wp-content/uploads/100507-wow.jpg

@vlad

I never said I didn't think it was bad, there's a clear difference between my opinion coming to the consensus that the coding convention is bad and it being wrong.

Perhaps you should have chosen your words more carefully Persian. /300
Last edited on
Okay, now why was MY post reported? Seriously, there was no need on reporting them...
Someone was obviously offended by your language.
Also can we lock this topic? It's getting a bit off topic and utterly useless...
Unless people would like to talk about their teachers and how they like to teach new programmers horrid things like using namespace std; void main();
Just because one grows up and becomes an adult doesn't make it appropriate to insult or curse. I think cursing is the least of the worries because it affects personal reputation rather than the reputation of others.

Nobody feels good after being called stupid (or in this case, an idiot).
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Lumpkin wrote:
Okay, now why was MY post reported? Seriously, there was no need on reporting them...
I think I have said this before but I'll say it again. I think that it would be good to see the reason people give in reporting and probably the identity of the person doing the reporting. If you are going to report someone, you should at least have the balls to stand by it.
But I didn't call anyone an idiot. I never insulted anyone...

I think the same. Grey Wolf.
You didn't but you think its okay to insult others. While not really a problem unless you actually insult yourself, it's probably not much better. That's what I'm guessing whoever reported was thinking anyways.
Who said I think it's okay to insult others?

I said people are taking things way to seriously. Unless the person threatens you or continues to harass you, just ignore it.
In most forums, it's against the rules to insult people, and the moderators are quick to step in and enforce them. We don't have moderators, but we have a report button. When someone is out of line, it makes sense to report them. This helps keep the forum civil and makes it a better place to talk about programming.

I'm not sure disclosing the identity of the reporter is a good idea because it could lead to bad blood, and targeting for revenge.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Who said I think it's okay to insult others?

You did...

I said people are taking things way to seriously. Unless the person threatens you or continues to harass you, just ignore it.

Vlad has been doing this exact same thing in many other threads lately. So he has been continuing to insult the intelligence of members constantly which I personally don't understand. Usually vlad is very nice from what I have seen and is more then willing to help out beginners and other members with problems. So not sure why he is going on a vendetta about this issue.
Zereo wrote:
Vlad has been doing this exact same thing in many other threads lately. So he has been continuing to insult the intelligence of members constantly which I personally don't understand. Usually vlad is very nice from what I have seen and is more then willing to help out beginners and other members with problems. So not sure why he is going on a vendetta about this issue.
Oh, I didn't know that. My bad.

You did...
When?
It's not the insulting that bothers me, it's the constancy of it and the way it destabilises the forum's fragile ecosystem.

For the record I haven't reported anyone ITT and would support having a report system with accountability.
Pages: 12345