Any Ladies on Here?

Pages: 1... 78910
Hey my uni is doing a thing on women who code, check this http://www.ladieswhocode.com/2013/

7 women who actually write code!!!!
Well it is nice to see female programmers, but seven really isn't anything to brag about considering there are thousands of male programmers.
As if those are the only 7 woman who program :p
Well, I guess it doesn't matter how many are there, what matters is how many can be brought. For example, in my real life I've seen a lot of girls who are brilliant at maths, physics and coding, but still end up as doctors or nurses. Why? It's either parental pressure or their wrong perception that "coding is only for boys who are nerds and geeks". Currently there's a huge gender divide in the coding industry; with male programmers dominating.

Here's a site that aims to bring more women to code : http://railsgirls.com/

I'd definitely be happy if girls too realize the joys of coding and start to code :)

(I don't mean to hurt anyone's sentiments or believes, what I wrote is my personal view and if you think it's bad, fell free to report)
It's either parental pressure or their wrong perception that "coding is only for boys who are nerds and geeks".

Or their simple preference to do something else.
cire wrote:
Or their simple preference to do something else.

Oh, those are exceptional(have more interest in biology than programming and hence become a doctor, consultant, banker etc or something like that)

I am talking about those who agree that they actually love coding and its their passion but still say "No, I want to be a doctor cause my dad wants me to be so".
ModShop wrote:
As if those are the only 7 woman women who program :p

No one ever said there was, but having only 7 women doesn't even touch a fraction of women in programming or the fields you can do in programming.
The illusionist mirage wrote:
Currently there's a huge gender divide in the coding industry; with male programmers dominating.

Well, there are really only one or two areas I can think of that are woman dominated, otherwise almost all careers and industries seem male dominant. Hair stylists and waitresses are dominantly female. I'm sure there are more, but those are the two I can think of immediately.
@BHX

You forgot actresses. They are also almost always female. :)
closed account (owpE3TCk)
Nurses too. :)
Of course actresses are women manga.
Manga wrote:
actresses [...] are also almost always female

A certain kind of actress, maybe...

[edit] wait a minute, actresses are always female...
Last edited on
closed account (jwkNwA7f)
You forgot actresses.
And, waitresses ;)
closed account (owpE3TCk)
Why did you use code tags? :)
@retsgorf297
BHXSpecter mentioned waitresses. There is also teachers (at least in my experience). Even doing CS, I have about as many female lecturers as male. Maybe slightly fewer.
@hiXD I clicked the wrong button.
@chris I was making a joke. All waitresses and actresses are female. For males, it is waitors and actors.
After a painful series of posts the joke was caught :|
No, I didn't forget actresses. I was worried if I put too many that could only be female that the joke would have been way to obvious or i would have come across as sexist.

Though, it is true that teachers are usually female. You can sit in the lobby of my son's school and see that every guy that comes down is usually a student aid to help students when the teacher is busy, or maintenance members. Otherwise they are all women, the Principal and Assistant Principal are women, the entire office are women, it seems everyone there are women with maybe three or four male teachers.

Though, I'm sure there are female programmers, but they are just busy programming and doing their jobs rather than announcing they are women. After all, remember the article about the girl that wanted to program and was turned away from it because the 'sexist male' mentality kicked in and started being rude to her.
what are buttresses? they sound sexy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buttress

It does sound sexy though.
All waitresses and actresses are female. For males, it is waitors and actors.

Do people actually still say waitress/waiter? I have family in that business and I never hear that term anymore. Everyone says "server".

Abandoning gender identifying titles has been happening for a while though. Further examples:

stewardess -> flight attendant
fireman -> firefighter

I thought I had more but those are the only other ones I can think of. haha.
Pages: 1... 78910