Adventure Time and Thereafter

closed account (S6k9GNh0)
Unrelated to the Youtube series, I'm quite curious as to what happens to most people who start on a "text adventure". I'm pretty sure most don't finish as they realize how boring it is after just a few hours (perhaps less) but do they just quit afterwards? Do most people actually start programming just to make a text adventure?

I'm still confused as to what is so enticing about doing a text adventure program.
I'm confused too. I don't know what all the hype about it is but my best guess is that it's the first thing they know they can use their skills for that counts as a "game" or "finished product" or "not a test or example".
closed account (jwkNwA7f)
@L B That's my guess too.
A lot of people get into programming wanting to make games.
The first thing they learn how to use is the console, so the first program they make is a console game.
Isn't this what happened a lot in the 70s? Text-based applications were the only types of applications at the times and so text-based games were just natural.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
But now, it's just as easy to put some sprites up on the screen and make something more interactive. Most (experienced) people now adays can make a basic game in a few hours. But people who do "text adventures" generally don't even bother with console manipulation, sticking only to basic C IO.
Last edited on
I personally find graphical stuff easier than console stuff. I guess like me when it comes to food, people are just naturally afraid to try new things.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.